hughes on episode 7 of tuf 6

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » hughes on episode 7 of tuf 6
themmadigest
11/1/07 1:04:06AM
from matt-hughes.com:

First off, I know I got bleeped this week, but what I was saying was definitely not the “f-word.” I’m human and I get mad just like everybody else, so I’m really not worried about that one slip.

One thing I want to say about tonight’s episode is that J-Rock fought a good fight; but the one thing bad about ‘production’ is the fact that I can talk good about J-Rock’s fight for 59 minutes and then say something critical for a minute and all they show is that one minute. At the end of J-Rock’s fight I was frustrated. I believe J-Rock was a lot better than he showed in that fight, so that was what got me down.

I didn’t really know what to think after his fight, but to be honest I was getting used to not winning the fights so it wasn’t making it any worse. At this point, I was just thinking that I’ve got one more guy. Tommy is a guy that I wanted to hold back until the very end, because he’s a lot like me and I think I have a lot I can show him. So actually I’m just trying to be realistic and thinking that I’ve still got one more guy that I can try to get into the next round.

As far as what’s going on at the house with Team Serra, I didn’t know anything about that so there’s really nothing I can say.
Mastodon2
11/1/07 4:52:53AM
Respect to Matt Hughes, he is a totally ace guy, his integrity is pretty much unmatched imo.

I feel bad for him losing so many fights though, he seems to have a lot of lazy people who just can't feed off his militaristic energy. That is exactly the kind of coaching that works best for me, I just don't think his team wanted to push themselves to get to the standard Hughes expected of them. Hughes even said that himself after the Barrera fight, that he thought that he expected to much of them. Hughes is amazing, Barrera thought he was a bit good and Hughes totally dominated him in training. HIs standard is so high and he exepcts everyone to be at his standard. That is the best way to do it tbh, train overs to an intensity you'd expect from yourself, there is no point saying "Oh these guys arent as good as I am, I won't ask for too much". Hughes didn't get where he is today by slacking off!
MMA
11/1/07 8:03:57AM
I missed 99% of the show but J-Rock apparently got KO'd and he was really depressed about it. Was it a vicious KO or did he get caught really early or what?
cowcatcher
11/1/07 11:17:34AM
he ate a couple of clean shots and a big uppercut dropped him, from there it was a few seconds of GnP

on a side note, had joe scarola not been on the show serra could have taken danzig first, that would have been complete disaster for hughes
thepunisher
11/1/07 11:43:32AM
if he really wanted Danzig he could have picked him second instead of George

Barrera was Hughe's 1st pick
gspgnp
11/1/07 11:51:36AM
It seems to me that Hughes was right when he said that Barrera was putting on a show in the gym and I feel J rock was doing the same thing. They both looked scared in their fights. The problem with hughes team is that he chose the guys who looked like they were tough....in other words the muscle heads. Barrera and J rock are extremely huge and cut but they are not the most skilled fighters. Serra chose the guys that may lack a little in size but definitely make up for it in skill. George is probably one of the smallest guys on the show but he is definitely the most talented,(behind Mac of course).

edit: BTW I don't really believe that there is such a thing as "getting caught". If you get Koed you simply got KTFO. There's no such thing as a lucky punch as every single punch or kick you throw is intended to KO your opponent. In other words, "getting caught" is the exact same thing as getting KTFO! I hate when people make excuses. Especially with J rock. There is no way he got caught as he was thoroughly dominated in that fight.
cowcatcher
11/1/07 11:56:09AM

Posted by thepunisher

if he really wanted Danzig he could have picked him second instead of George

Barrera was Hughe's 1st pick

i realize this, that doesnt change the fact that he could have gotten him first had scarola not been there, or george then mac for that matter.
SpiderSilva
11/1/07 10:12:20PM
I have mad respect for Hughes he is a legened but.......
He even thought about quiting that should never come up ever mad look what happened with Ed Herman he was like Shammys only guy to do anything hughes guy could still win it in the end . BTW Mac kind of reminds me of of Ed
TimW001
11/1/07 10:45:21PM

Posted by SpiderSilva
BTW Mac kind of reminds me of of Ed

Holy crap now tat you mention it...
cmill21
11/1/07 11:10:27PM

Posted by TimW001

Posted by SpiderSilva
BTW Mac kind of reminds me of of Ed

Holy crap now tat you mention it...

Ed with alooooot more talent. I feel bad for hughes, the show has made me gain a ton of respect for him, and lose my remainder for Serra. BJ would have fought Jens on TUF 5 if this was happening lol.
TheHitmanTL
11/1/07 11:37:55PM
matt hughes basically only picked one guy who serra should have picked in the first place...i think the fighters that hughes picked were just overrated cept for danzig
MALICE
11/1/07 11:49:57PM
By watching the fighters in training, there was no doubt that Dan was one of the hardest workers in that group. That is what Hughes saw in him. His work ethic. Dan just didn't put it all together in the ring. I was excited to see how he would perform in his fight. Man! What a let down.

Side Note: That conversation with Dans Girlfriend was weird. Some of Dans comments on life. Weird. Then on episode 7 he walked into the house with a lamp shade on his head. Weird!
Lord_Lenny
11/1/07 11:59:14PM
i knew george was good, but i thought j-rock would perform better than that and make a great fight. I was really hoping at least. J-Rock has one of the most likable personalities in TUF history . Billy and Barerra also under-performed imo. I have always liked Hughes and it is nice to see he's getting some respect. On the other hand my distaste for Serra grows, it was great when J-Rock was making fun of the way he was yelling during the match.
warglory
11/2/07 1:19:56AM
I agree with everyone. Hughes is a hard ass, and the show makes him out to be just a big fat sore loser. Regardless if its true or not, can you blame him if its a result of a lackluster performance on the part of his fighters? I'd be ripshit too! Serra can make smart ass remarks all night, come in and congratulate Hughes' fighters, but I guarantee you that if the roles were reversed, Serra would be belly aching just as much and definitely wouldn't be congratulating the other fighters.
cmill21
11/2/07 1:44:41AM

Posted by warglory

I agree with everyone. Hughes is a hard ass, and the show makes him out to be just a big fat sore loser. Regardless if its true or not, can you blame him if its a result of a lackluster performance on the part of his fighters? I'd be ripshit too! Serra can make smart ass remarks all night, come in and congratulate Hughes' fighters, but I guarantee you that if the roles were reversed, Serra would be belly aching just as much and definitely wouldn't be congratulating the other fighters.

Exactly, he called his own student a "bitch" when he lost, so we caught a glimpse of how he took it.
hippysmacker
11/2/07 2:56:29AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Respect to Matt Hughes, he is a totally ace guy, his integrity is pretty much unmatched imo.

I feel bad for him losing so many fights though, he seems to have a lot of lazy people who just can't feed off his militaristic energy. That is exactly the kind of coaching that works best for me, I just don't think his team wanted to push themselves to get to the standard Hughes expected of them. Hughes even said that himself after the Barrera fight, that he thought that he expected to much of them. Hughes is amazing, Barrera thought he was a bit good and Hughes totally dominated him in training. HIs standard is so high and he exepcts everyone to be at his standard. That is the best way to do it tbh, train overs to an intensity you'd expect from yourself, there is no point saying "Oh these guys arent as good as I am, I won't ask for too much". Hughes didn't get where he is today by slacking off!

I agree. However, It's starting to really irritate me how so many of his guys either freeze or don't listen to him.
SpiderSilva
11/4/07 10:30:22AM
So if Hughes guy loses does that mean Hughes is off the show?

What does this mean for Hughes new gym that he opened would you want to be trained by an ass that wont show respect?
ko-kbo130
11/4/07 11:28:54AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by warglory

Exactly, he called his own student a "bitch" when he lost, so we caught a glimpse of how he took it.

yeah but this is a diffrent situation than if it was just a random person on the show. serra and scarola go way back. you can almost view it as when a dad coaches his son, most of the times hes harder on his kid and says things to his kid that he wouldnt say to any of the other children on the team. i mean im not saying he was right in calling him a bitch but theres other ways to llok at the situation. also imo id rather have my coach call me a bitch than tell me i wasnt as good as he thought and all the guilt that hughes drops on his team
MMA
11/4/07 12:09:34PM

Posted by gspgnp
edit: BTW I don't really believe that there is such a thing as "getting caught". If you get Koed you simply got KTFO. There's no such thing as a lucky punch as every single punch or kick you throw is intended to KO your opponent. In other words, "getting caught" is the exact same thing as getting KTFO! I hate when people make excuses. Especially with J rock. There is no way he got caught as he was thoroughly dominated in that fight.

I can agree with you to some extent; every punch is thrown with an intent to knock the other guy out. However, if some guy is just randomly swinging for the fences and getting picked apart and then suddenly, one of those "lucky" punches just happen to hit the other guy ...

There is a difference between a well-timed powershot and a randomly thrown powershot out of desperation.

Oh, and I saw the re-run of the episode last night. George has some nice hand speed and combinations; he was picking JRock apart. JRock was definitely frustrated by Serra's coaching and was really stiff in that fight. And for those people that are saying JRock was all show, I don't think that is true. Both Mac and Hughes said that JRock was one of the top fighters in the whole season so ...

I'll have to guess that the finals will be Mac and George. I think the other fighters are a bit too sloppy to beat either Mac and George. I'm rooting for Ben to win the show however, I like his personality.
fedorwins1
11/4/07 12:48:42PM
The look on Hughes' face at the end was priceless.
bls1919
11/4/07 7:34:57PM
I love to see hughes losing it. i think hes a tool! No matter how great a fighter he is. I think that its not his guys losing that kills him. Its him losing to Serra that kills him.