Hughes brothers set for UFC reunion

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Hughes brothers set for UFC reunion
SmileR
5/29/08 3:39:01PM
It has been more than eight years since former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes and twin brother Mark have competed in mixed martial arts at the same event. That era, however, may soon come to an end.

Matt, in a pre-fight media conference call for UFC 85 on Thursday, was posed a question he didn’t expect, that being about the possibility of his brother returning to the Octagon.

“This is an unexpected question,” said Matt, the elder brother – by five minutes – of the Hughes twins. “I do know that Mark is going to sign a contract with the UFC where he won't compete for anybody else. And that'd be right here coming up. That's all I can really tell you. That's all I can really comment on,”

Mark sports a 6-2 professional record in MMA, including a win at UFC 28, but hasn’t competed in nearly five years. Apparently poised for a return, Matt says that Mark doesn’t have a fight lined up yet, but is adamant about his return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship, a place Matt has called home for several years.

“There's no fight scheduled (for Mark), but he is going to sign a contract with the UFC to fight for them and nobody else."

Link
scoozna
5/29/08 3:59:41PM
Well I'll be damned. Another Hughes in the UFC.

Is it conceivable that he would be as good or better than Matt?
SmileR
5/29/08 4:03:59PM

Posted by scoozna
Is it conceivable that he would be as good or better than Matt?

Yes... yes it is.

He'll never be able to reach the same standard as Matt, but if he fights like him he still should put on some good fights. They're twins so I personally think that if he was going to have made a splash in the MMA world it would have already happened.
The_Italian_Stallion
5/29/08 4:50:51PM
This is pretty cool except I don't think we'll ever see a card with both of them on it (Unless Dana forces it) because I figure they'll still want to corner each other and that will be impossible if they both have to warm up and stuff.
prozacnation1978
5/29/08 5:09:41PM
it might just be passing of the torch with matt getting ready to retire with his brother then in the spotlight and him cornering him
keith-hackney1
5/29/08 5:16:39PM
nice ...
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
PaleHorse
5/29/08 5:23:55PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

nice ...

Rofl they're rocking those farmboy haircuts.
chubbud22
5/29/08 5:35:49PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

nice ...

Those are some sick Mullets
bigbubbano23
5/29/08 6:13:49PM
think he might be a little late.
Boo_Radley21
5/29/08 6:27:59PM
It should be cool. He hasn't fought since 2003 though so it will be interesting to see how he does.
The-Don
5/29/08 7:12:21PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

It should be cool. He hasn't fought since 2003 though so it will be interesting to see how he does.

Not fighting does not mean not training... that is the question.. has he just not trained all this time.. or has he been training hard? that is what remains to be seen.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/29/08 7:37:28PM
geez.....another Hughes
jiujitsufreak74
5/29/08 7:51:59PM

Posted by chubbud22

Posted by keith-hackney1

nice ...

Those are some sick Mullets

Billy Ray Cyrus would be proud

jae_1833
5/29/08 8:26:02PM
Gotta love the MULLET!!!!

By the way .... what weight does he plan on???
skatenate
5/29/08 9:15:32PM
this should be good to see. i kow mark is a great fighter and should be exciting to watch.
bls1919
5/29/08 10:31:47PM
NOT ANOTHER HUGHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NatedawgThaM
5/29/08 10:59:43PM
ONE OF THE DUMBEST DECISIONS THE UFC HAS EVER MADE!!!!

Just because he's Matt's brother your going to sign him? That's absolutely stupid. At the most you should give him a fight or two in the WEC first. But no your going to make him a total hype job that is not going to go anywhere. At least Matt has the MMA experience under his belt with that one dimensional wrestling and pure strength. Mark hasn't fought in 5 years so why are they even going to let him fight?

Their going to hype him up a lot probably and he'll probably lose his first fight since his stand up is probably no where near even the worst fighter in his weight class. Bad, bad move.