Hughes: ''I'll fight Serra In January''

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Hughes: ''I'll fight Serra In January''
MMAcca
9/3/08 3:37:02PM
Matt Hughes expects to fight long-time rival and fellow former welterweight champion Matt Serra in January.

He expects his knee to be healed and able to withstand competing by then, according to an interview with Ohio newspaper The People's Defender.

Having participated in nine successful title fights, Hughes admits that he sometimes finds it hard to motivate himself for bouts.

"I have a harder time motivating myself... I'm not sure if it's my Christianity, my kids, or the fact I'm just getting older," he said.

But he will "definitely" be firing on all cylinders for the Serra fight because there are "a lot of things" that irritate him about the New Yorker.

"I am just different than him. I was raised to be courteous, respectful, and kind to people. He obviously wasn't raised that way," Hughes explained.

LINK
emfleek
9/3/08 3:44:53PM

Posted by MMAcca

"I am just different than him. I was raised to be courteous, respectful, and kind to people. He obviously wasn't raised that way," Hughes explained.

I like Matt Hughes, but did that really come out of his mouth?

Wolfenstein
9/3/08 3:47:49PM
Only in Hughes' world would he consider himself respectful. He always has something demeaning to say. Not that Serra is an Angel, but he's at least funny about it. Like when Rich told him to fight Shonie Carter on one knee. The imitations were priceless.

I think Serra is more focused and I think he hates Hughes more than Hughes hates Serra. I think that's going to drive him to win this bout.

There's so much bad blood I don't think the loser will dare show his face for years to come. Either way someoneis going home never to be seen in the UFC again.
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/3/08 3:51:10PM
hughes makes me laugh

i hope serra wins

& im not a serra fan
finnish_line
9/3/08 3:52:22PM

As much as I'd like to see Serra dominate to set up GSP/Serra 3, I don't see it happening.
gravy13
9/3/08 3:55:51PM
I hope they both retire after this fight.
dannyfrank
9/3/08 4:06:17PM

Posted by gravy13

but i hope serra retires as a winner
prozacnation1978
9/3/08 4:07:52PM
the fight has to be co main event of gsp/penn 2
emfleek
9/3/08 4:09:27PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

the fight has to be co main event of gsp/penn 2

UFN main event status. I don't think either of them deserve a PPV main event...or even a co-main event on PPV.
motorboatensob
9/3/08 4:32:34PM
Wow I have a hard time getting motivated so instead I'll just go out and get my ass kicked. Are you kidding me how do you not get motivated some guy is going to try and punch and kick you in the face and make you look bad in front of millions. I was a big Matt Hughes fan till he lost twice, I don't not like him because he lost but because he acted like he gave up from the start. Now that this has come out of his mouth I see why he gave up he couldn't even get motivated instead he got knocked out twice and sub once.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
9/3/08 4:35:50PM
Serra should get the win.
gartface
9/3/08 4:38:28PM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Serra should get the win.

Agree.
Bowen50
9/3/08 5:34:39PM
i have to go with Serra because if Hughes can't motivate himself to go out and fight a rival then what the hell is he gonna do? Serra has the better stand up and Hughes has lost a lot of what used to be a quick wrestling shot. it'll end up staying on the feet and Serra will either get a late KO/TKO or win a decision.
Bumpy
9/3/08 6:10:22PM
I hope Hughes wins, but its hard to say he has not really looked that good in his last few fights.
Twenty20Dollars
9/3/08 6:38:38PM
i wonder if either matt is going to keep fight after this fight happens.
sparky
9/3/08 7:24:32PM
This fight is to much for me I cant stand either of these to guys. Both of them constantly talk shit about other fighters makes me sick. Not only that but this is a boring match up Matt Hughes is going to wrestle Matt Serra down for the unanimous decision.

No disrespect but we could do without this one!!!!
Gipper
9/3/08 8:02:56PM
this will be a great fight but neither will challenge for a ufc ww title again.
jocka
9/3/08 8:31:08PM
This is another fight I cant wait for, am tired of hearing about it. I hope Serra wins just cause i hate him less than Hughes.
JimiMak
9/3/08 8:44:17PM

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by gravy13

but i hope serra retires as a winner

Same here.
quezocrema0032
9/3/08 10:10:58PM
sera can afford to lose this one cause alot of people forget that serra is a natural 155er he can just drop down and still be a big name ... if hughes losses then hes deff done ... but i do see hughes winning a ud