Huge boost to UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Huge boost to UFC
dstlvb
2/25/07 3:34:45AM
The biggest winner from tonights fights i belive is the UFC. Wandy losing puts Dana in the driver seat of the UFC vs Pride war. He can now argue that Wandy isnt in Chucks leauge if he cannot even beat a Welterweight in Pride. Whether that is true or not is not as important as the perception it creates. Dana also has more ammo that Pride calling out the UFC is simply for them to try to save face becauase there are in trouble.

Even though they let him go, Diaz could be considered a UFC guy who was not in contention and went over and beat the #1 LW in the world. Not only beating him but doing it in a convicing manner.

Dont get me wrong a do not wish to see Pride sell or limp on. I think this was a much better card than the first one and i am glad i orderd it. All the general public wants to talk about is Chuck/Wandy and thi plays right into Dana's hands.
Svartorm
2/25/07 3:49:37AM
I completey disagree. I think this helped Pride a hell of a lot. You've got to remember, dudes on this forum, who actually follow and come out to talk about MMA are maybe 5% of the audience for it right now. The general audience doesn't talk about Wandy vs. Chuck because they've never seen Wandy fight until tonight. What they saw were a bunch of great fights, and they'll hopefully order Pride events and attend Pride events in the future.

It might have given UFC nuthuggers more ammo, but I couldn't care less about them anyways, so I see this as a positive thing. Any strong card is good for the sport.
JoeMimic
2/25/07 3:57:10AM
I really still feel like the casual fan still has no idea who or what Pride is; It's hard to spend $40 on some fighters maybe you've never heard of before when you've got a Randy Couture/Tim Sylvia PPV a week away. I think this really helped Pride with the hardcore fans and helped any new fans who might have been watching. I couldn't help but notice how empty that building was...more then a few seats available. It was a great card and I for one am happy that I ordered.
Svartorm
2/25/07 4:11:31AM
I talk fights with a lot of customers at work, and a good deal of them were watching Pride for the first time tonight. Pride did a pretty good job advertising on the PPV channels, so it clearly drew in some fans, and hopefully they were impressed.

As for attendance, it was pretty full up by the main event. I don't know why people would buy a ticket and not show up for anything but the last few fights, but whatever. People do that with concerts too.
hypocalking
2/25/07 6:00:17AM
^^^^^^^^^ Wrong how can you logically say that???? Silva has tested himself against HWs unlike Chuck. Silva had a bad night. Is that impossible?
Svartorm
2/25/07 6:04:16AM
Er.....I didn't say that.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/25/07 7:26:54AM
do you all think Dana White is kicking himself for letting Nick Diaz go?

Nick Diaz has always been 1 of my favorites,and i am happy that he went to Pride i think he will do much better there,but i would really like Nick to get paid man!!!

he puts it all out there on the line and shows alot of heart so i hope he gets a HUGE payday soon.he deserves at least 50k per fight,cuz you know you will always get a great show with Nick!

Manfred
2/25/07 8:13:58AM

Posted by JoeMimic

I really still feel like the casual fan still has no idea who or what Pride is

Bar quote from UFC 67 "Man, Cro Cop is really good, why is this his first time in the "big leagues"
Kudos
2/25/07 9:19:32AM
I don't see how it's a huge boost to UFC. Hughe and Franklin both lost their belts. It just prove that champion can be beaten by newcomers. Now if CroCop and Rampage unseat Tim/Randy and Chuck, would that be a huge boost to Pride? I don't think so since they are UFC fighters now. Diaz is a Pride fighter now and there's nothing wrong with Pride fighter beating another Pride fighter.

With Pride 33, it allow Pride to make new match-ups. Hendo vs Shogun/Arona/Trigg, Silva vs Lil Nog/Rameu, Diaz have more fighters to fight now and he might do better at lightweight. What Pride needed was some new stars and they got it at Pride 33.
zephead
2/25/07 10:20:23AM
I'm a fan of all MMA. Pride 33 helps Pride and MMA in general. Great fights. Showing Nick Cage, Harrison Ford, Chuck Norris and Herschal Walker all night helps out. People will say, "If they watch and attend then it must be cool."

The Nog fight, the Wandy fight and Gomi fight showed that if you stand and bang, anything can happen. It shows that fighters are getting better and better. That you can't take anybody lightly. It makes what Fedor and Chuck are doing, that much more impressive.

Great card. Great fights. Great production. Now hopefully, both the UFC and Pride, will quite acting like little kids and embrace what each other is doing for the sport. It's only getting bigger. Spike TV, ShowTime, Vs, HDNet and FSN are all onboard. Next up could be ESPN and HBO.

Please Dana and Jerry Millen quit with the "We're the best, no, we're the best" garbage and just do what is best for MMA. It is blowing up and sooner or later people will get tired of the high school games.

Dalkiel
2/25/07 11:14:26AM
I know I'd buy more Pride events if they dropped the crazy screaming announcer woman.
Kudos
2/25/07 12:00:57PM

Posted by zephead

I'm a fan of all MMA. Pride 33 helps Pride and MMA in general. Great fights. Showing Nick Cage, Harrison Ford, Chuck Norris and Herschal Walker all night helps out. People will say, "If they watch and attend then it must be cool."

The Nog fight, the Wandy fight and Gomi fight showed that if you stand and bang, anything can happen. It shows that fighters are getting better and better. That you can't take anybody lightly. It makes what Fedor and Chuck are doing, that much more impressive.

Great card. Great fights. Great production. Now hopefully, both the UFC and Pride, will quite acting like little kids and embrace what each other is doing for the sport. It's only getting bigger. Spike TV, ShowTime, Vs, HDNet and FSN are all onboard. Next up could be ESPN and HBO.

Please Dana and Jerry Millen quit with the "We're the best, no, we're the best" garbage and just do what is best for MMA. It is blowing up and sooner or later people will get tired of the high school games.

I agreed man. Who care who the best organization. It's all about the fighters and the fans. Give the fan exciting and entertaining fights is what it's all about.
JunCTion
2/25/07 12:01:31PM

Posted by Svartorm

I completey disagree. I think this helped Pride a hell of a lot. You've got to remember, dudes on this forum, who actually follow and come out to talk about MMA are maybe 5% of the audience for it right now. The general audience doesn't talk about Wandy vs. Chuck because they've never seen Wandy fight until tonight. What they saw were a bunch of great fights, and they'll hopefully order Pride events and attend Pride events in the future.

It might have given UFC nuthuggers more ammo, but I couldn't care less about them anyways, so I see this as a positive thing. Any strong card is good for the sport.

dido. i whatched ufc for a while and really liked it. but when i saw pride for the first time i loved it. more energy, more excitement, very few boos, bas/quadros, always competitive matches. bringing back loosing fighter cause they put up a great fight (not just dumping them after a couple of losses.

i think this helps mma, pride and their us fan base a lot. i dont think it helps ufc at all. the ufc is so readily available to the casual fan (TUF, TUF finale, fight night, unleashed, inside the ufc, all the replays of these events, ALL OF THIS ON FREE TV). pride is only available on fsn once and a while. if i was a newb and this was the first pride event i ever saw, i would definitely want to order the next pride ppv, not the next ufc (i can watch ufc anytime for free).
dstlvb
2/25/07 1:01:02PM
I liked the PPV and thought they were great fights. Posted on this website is the radio interview of Dana and the Pride US guy going back and forth on the fighter issue. One of the big questions to Wandy at his workout was Chuck. Im not talking about the people that come to the forums, we are not fueling this surge in MMA popularity. It is the media outlets that continue to pick of the stories and sending more and more reporters to the events. That is where most average joe fans get there info. They all want to talk Chuck/Wandy. Pride stance for a very long time is that Wandy has been the best 205 fighter in the world, since like you mentioned he has tested himself against the best in the world at different wieght classes. The UFC disagerees of course. To the average fan who have no idea about who Wandy has fought, his lose to Hendo, who most put as a decent underdog calls his status into question. Die hard fans of a sport, and the ones on this board deal in the reality of the sport. the casual fan deals wit hthe perception that the media puts forth. The media is very uneducated about MMA. I think Dana was incredibly happy Wandy lost. Which is kinda ironic becuase i do belive it was a boost to Pride US. I only ordered the card because some plans fell through. Glad that they did. I hate that crazy announcer woman also.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/25/07 1:27:23PM
I think a lot of MMA nerds like us often times forget about the entertainment value of
these events. Win or lose that card was really exciting and entertainment value above all builds organizations. As far as this Pride card hurting PRIDE and helping UFC I think all it helps are nutthuggers on both sides of the line and gives MMA nerds like us reasons to haggle over petty things

IMO I think the UFC would benefit from some huge upsets in the LHW, and HW division to keep us on our toes!
SteedTheDeed
2/25/07 7:34:58PM
PRIDE just put on one of the most exciting events in MMA history. PRIDE just got huge U.S. exposure, which it needed.
hippysmacker
2/25/07 8:02:25PM
I just love MMA, I still think Pride should sell to Fishman. He has the money and connections to improve their production, and pay top talent.. That being said, as far as fight's go, most exciting Pride card ever. This may hurt some of their fighter's/execs ego's and make nutthuggers trade shots, but it really helped their US exposure IMO. Any casual fan who bought it will probably become a fan of both the UFC and pride now. Who knows, they make even start watching the IFL, EliteXC, Bodog, and WEC since they are on the TV in places in the US. Next thing you know they are online and watching shooto, cage rage, ICON, TKO, Deep, and others. After that they are ordering DVD's and telling their friends about it. Now they are a diehard MMA fan. The domino effect of this card does nothing but help Pride and all MMA IMO.
Pyrenus
2/25/07 9:42:43PM
I miss knees and kicks to a downed opponet. I hope the athletic commissions here will add those soon.
hippysmacker
2/26/07 2:34:43AM
Dana has said he will try to get knees added. Marc Ratner is on the job now , so it might get done. I personally don't like soccer kicks/stomps as I think they are the most likely thing to cause a deaht in MMA and they look barbaric to the casual eye. Still, knees would really make wrestlers more careful with their shots , and help them when they did get a guy down. So I think we will see knees in time
Dadaman
2/26/07 3:14:13AM
I don't think this takes much away from Pride FCs mass marketing campaign towards the casual fan.

The casual viewer doesn't even really begin to associate Pride with "ultimate fighting". If you asked the casual viewer what he thought about Pride and UFC he'd probably say "oh UFC is ultimate fighting in a cage" and he probably wouldn't even know what the hell Pride FC is.

I've shown Pride and UFC to complete newbs and at first they don't even immediatly make a connection ebtween the two. Then finally someone asks "hey isn't this like ultimate fighting"?

Now if you ask the intermediate fan who has followed the UFC regularly and has a vague idea of what Pride FC is then yes, their opinion of Pride is lessened because now they think Pride is below the UFC in terms of fighters because Wandy got KOd and some kid who couldn't even make it in the UFC 170 lb div. clobbered and submitted one of your top stars.

Posted by hippysmacker

Dana has said he will try to get knees added... I think we will see knees in time...

I sure hope so. Knees and elbows on the ground would make things more interesting. I'd love to see stomps and soccer kicks too though.
JunCTion
2/26/07 3:30:39AM

Posted by Dadaman

I don't think this takes much away from Pride FCs mass marketing campaign towards the casual fan.

The casual viewer doesn't even really begin to associate Pride with "ultimate fighting". If you asked the casual viewer what he thought about Pride and UFC he'd probably say "oh UFC is ultimate fighting in a cage" and he probably wouldn't even know what the hell Pride FC is.

I've shown Pride and UFC to complete newbs and at first they don't even immediatly make a connection ebtween the two. Then finally someone asks "hey isn't this like ultimate fighting"?

Now if you ask the intermediate fan who has followed the UFC regularly and has a vague idea of what Pride FC is then yes, their opinion of Pride is lessened because now they think Pride is below the UFC in terms of fighters because Wandy got KOd and some kid who couldn't even make it in the UFC 170 lb div. clobbered and submitted one of your top stars.

Posted by hippysmacker

Dana has said he will try to get knees added... I think we will see knees in time...

I sure hope so. Knees and elbows on the ground would make things more interesting. I'd love to see stomps and soccer kicks too though.

i see your point but i personally disagree. i was a casual ufc fan but pride is what got me hooked. there were no boring fights, good fighters were brought back win or lose, bas/quadros, good interviews, better and more informative fight intros and fightewr backround info, that awsome lady with the sexy voice introducing the fighters and the fans. there emotion really helped me understand over time what a well executed fight was, especially the ground game. i didnt know how an arm bar or a triangle was started or that the 2 guys rolling around on the ground getting out of eachothers sub attempts was good grappling but when you here the fans start screaming and cheering you pay more attention. i love ufc and pride but if i have a choice ill choose pride any day.
and now, i could care less about "double double e"
Macho_Matt
2/26/07 2:18:55PM
This was a great show for Pride and MMA in general!

Great show in the US, which will expand the US fan base of Pride. They will likely need this going forward into the future. Their next PPV from Japan will be on US pay-per-view live, so they want to sell to US fans.

The Americans beat the foreign fighters in the USA. This is huge for Pride in the US. Americans like myself like seeing americans beat up on other countries. So Hendo and Diaz winning will make the average US fan happy with the results. More casual American MMA fans will want to watch now to see what happens to your American Hero Hendo as he defends two titles, and the american underdog Diaz as he persues a title!

This all means ratings in the US! They already have a Japanese fan base. They won't go anywhere. They will want to see their hero the Fireball Kid get revenge.

I see dollar signs for Pride. Wish I could buy them myself!

UFC will benefit as well because MMA will just become more popular!
poll77
3/1/07 8:30:42PM
Manfred

Posted by JoeMimic

I really still feel like the casual fan still has no idea who or what Pride is

Bar quote from UFC 67 "Man, Cro Cop is really good, why is this his first time in the "big leagues"

that is some funny shit, ive heard similar comments but that one takes the cake