Huerta fighter of the year?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Huerta fighter of the year?
beachbum7568
12/11/07 5:47:21PM
Ok so its getting down to the end of the year and we can finally start narrowing down who the fighter of the year is. So does anyone think Huerta is the fighter of the year?

Hes 5-0 this year with wins over Clay Guida, Alberto Crane, Doug Evans, Leonard Garcia, and John Halverson. Not all of those are top names but they were all good fights, especially his fights against Garcia and Guida.

If i had a vote, i would give it to him.If you dont agree, them tell me who you would vote for and why they are more deserving than him.
nickcuc547
12/11/07 5:51:48PM
personally i think its rampage but after his performance at the finale huerta definately belongs in the converstation. the man has fought five times this year and he has won them all thats pretty impressive.
Rush
12/11/07 5:56:38PM
No I wouldn't vote for him. He beat 4 guys that were fighting their first fight in the UFC and have not faced any "tough competition". He beat Clay, but IMO the fight was a lot closer than some people might like to believe.

IMO, Either Randy or Anderson Silva should be fighter of the year.

Randy - The guy took the HW title from someone that is 24-2 (at the time) and defended it once. Oh BTW, did I mention that he's in his 40s!?!

Silva - 3 very convincing wins, 2 of which were title defenses (the 3rd should have been too). One could argue that the first fight with Franklin could be counted too as he fought 4 fights in 12 months.
pinoymixplaya
12/11/07 5:57:09PM
Yeah but Huerta didn't fight many top contenders, just Guida. Rampage had a good fight against Henderson but just beat Liddell by catching him in minutes of the first round, he didn't really show dominance. I think Anderson Silva would be fighter of the year, he fought real tough opponents in his weight class, especially those that were supposed to show the gap in his game, but he overcame and bested all adversaries... What do you guys think about that?
Pitbull09
12/11/07 6:24:58PM
Huerta may be capable next year to get it but he didnt fight good enough fighters to deserve it. He had alot of trouble with Guida and got that punch in the last round which he would have lost if it went to the judges.

I would say
1. A. Silva- hes 5-0 in the UFC. Beat the past champ twice now, and has destroyed every guy in all his title fights this year. No doubt he deserves it though I do think the Middleweight Division is weak and Henderson will ruin his shot at being best fighter next year

2. Rampage- The guy has improved a lot since Pride and look to me to be a dominate champ for a stacked division. If he beat Henderson in a better fashion, he might have gotten 1 but it went to decision.

3. Couture?- I really dont know who should be third but I think Sylvia was this year and he won all two fights no one though he could, and left the UFC showing why hes one of the best they ever had
fullerene
12/11/07 6:40:04PM
I think the three names being thrown around (Rampage, Couture and Silva) are the obvious choices. They've won big fights at the most difficult level.

I'd rate those accomplishments a level above rising contenders like Guida and Fitch.
JBatch
12/11/07 7:00:51PM
I thought for a LW fighter Huerta was number two FOY next to Kenny "The Finisher" Florian who had a 3-0 year with wins over respectable opponents like Din Thomas and Kid Robinson.

A case can easily be made for Huerta though he had an amzing year and is deserving of a title shot with I think one more big win over like a Ken Florian or Tyson Griffin. (Due to Penn, Sherk, Stevenson and Guillard all having fights scheduled.)
Mastodon2
12/11/07 7:10:17PM
Rampage or Anderson Silva gets my vote.

I'm glad Huerta seems to be the real deal, but if we are honest he hasnt had the toughest opposition, whereas Anderson and Rampage have fought only the best available to them at their given times.
stock
12/11/07 7:34:00PM
I would say Anderson Silva gets it hands down.
3-0 in title defenses in a year is pretty tough to beat.

I think Huerta would get UFC Rookie of the Year honors.
Svartorm
12/11/07 7:46:12PM
If Sokoudjou takes his fight on the 29th, which I expect he will, he'd get my vote. A lackluster fighter takes three top 10 fighters in a year with at least two by brutal KO.
xchickox
12/11/07 8:10:02PM

Posted by JBatch

I thought for a LW fighter Huerta was number two FOY next to Kenny "The Finisher" Florian who had a 3-0 year with wins over respectable opponents like Din Thomas and Kid Robinson.

A case can easily be made for Huerta though he had an amzing year and is deserving of a title shot with I think one more big win over like a Ken Florian or Tyson Griffin. (Due to Penn, Sherk, Stevenson and Guillard all having fights scheduled.)

why would huerta have to fight guillard to prove himself?? he's loads higher up the ladder than guillard
JWils
12/11/07 9:27:42PM

Posted by beachbum7568

Ok so its getting down to the end of the year and we can finally start narrowing down who the fighter of the year is. So does anyone think Huerta is the fighter of the year?

Hes 5-0 this year with wins over Clay Guida, Alberto Crane, Doug Evans, Leonard Garcia, and John Halverson. Not all of those are top names but they were all good fights, especially his fights against Garcia and Guida.

If i had a vote, i would give it to him.If you dont agree, them tell me who you would vote for and why they are more deserving than him.

I would give "Fighter of the Year" to Rampage. KO win over Eastman, KO win over UFC's biggest star, Chuck Liddell, & a very well earned decision win over one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world, Dan Henderson.

I would also have no problem with Anderson Silva winning this award. Randy Couture would come in a close 3rd. No one else would even be close to those three.
JoeySteel
12/11/07 11:05:42PM
Randy had a good year, Rampage too EASTMAN, liddell and henderson. I think A. Silva had an AMAZING year. What about Forrest? 2 Good fights. He ended last year losing to Jardine and came back this year to BEAT RUA. A fight NO one (but me of course) thought he would win.

I am throwing in Jon Fitch, only two fights, but big vic over diego. Marcus Davis. Ed Herman. Rashad Evans. All good years baby.

All said I can't think of who had a better year than Rampage.
JBatch
12/11/07 11:57:53PM

Posted by xchickox

Posted by JBatch

why would huerta have to fight guillard to prove himself?? he's loads higher up the ladder than guillard

He may be further up the ladder in terms of wins but quality of opponents faced and the skill of guillard would make for the toughest fight of Huerta's UFC career IMO. I think Guillard would KO Huerta in the first.
Lay_N_Pray
12/12/07 12:36:29AM
I would definitely say Huerta is the breakout fighter of the year...the only other two that would be close are Soku and Fitch in my opinion.

Fighter of the year for me is hands down Anderson Silva. Within a span of four months he had four dominating victories. He is poetry in motion in the octagon.

He brings a much needed grace and class to the sport. He doesn't pummel his opponents down. He hits them once and they go to sleep, thats something that is very hard to come by now of days on a consistent basis.
CornishMMA
12/12/07 6:02:54AM
hell no!

wtf, maybe up and comer of the year but nowhere near fighter of the year, how could he even be considered above Rampage or Randy?
nainova
12/13/07 6:20:00AM
It has to be Anderson Silva. The guy is dominating his weight class.

Franklinfan47
12/13/07 12:21:45PM
sweeptheleg99
12/13/07 12:45:04PM
Ya, I can see the argumanet for Huerta. Dude has had a career defining year for sure.

But as has been reiterated....Rampage has by far had the best year of any UFC fighter, with the notable exception of maybe Anderson Silva. I'd give page the slight advantage due to level of competition he has faced.

BUT, if I had to choose a fighter from the entire world MMA scene, I have to go with JZ. He's utterly dominated his competition this year (in three good fighters: Phan, Ribeiro, and Amade) and if he dominates Aoki in the same fashion on NYE, I think he is a lock for fighter of the year. Or at least he should be in the top 3.
cowcatcher
12/13/07 12:56:48PM

Posted by sweeptheleg99

Ya, I can see the argumanet for Huerta. Dude has had a career defining year for sure.

But as has been reiterated....Rampage has by far had the best year of any UFC fighter, with the notable exception of maybe Anderson Silva. I'd give page the slight advantage due to level of competition he has faced.

BUT, if I had to choose a fighter from the entire world MMA scene, I have to go with JZ. He's utterly dominated his competition this year (in three good fighters: Phan, Ribeiro, and Amade) and if he dominates Aoki in the same fashion on NYE, I think he is a lock for fighter of the year. Or at least he should be in the top 3.

if jz beats aoki he is without a doubt fighter of the year in my book as well.
bls1919
12/13/07 10:26:17PM
its Anderson Silva for sure. This man has dominated the former...dominant champ Rich Franklin twice now. And absolutly killed everyone else. 5and 0 in the ufc now and on top of his game
Believe-in-judo81
12/14/07 1:08:27AM
Rodger had a banner year for himself, and has seemingly proved that he belongs in the UFC, but I can think of guys who deserve it more this year.

1. Quinton Jackson- Went 3-0, had two sucessful title defenses, and became the sport's first unified champion.

2. Anderson Silva- Went 3-0 on the year, finishing all the fights and each time defending his title.

3.Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou- This is assuming he beats Machida by decision and doesn't put on a good fight, if he does, I'll move him to number two. But, if he finishes Machida, he is without a doubt fighter of the year. No one else has ever beaten three top ten fighters in the span of the year, so title or not, I would say he earned it. If he loses, he drops to #5.

4. Urijah Faber- See Anderson Silva, had an undefeated year and looked impressive defending his belt.

5. Randy Couture- Came back at 44 and won a title, then defended it against a top ten HW and possible future champ.

If you asks me it come down to one of these guys. Others had great years, but the Accomplishments they have made are huge.
Pinkalicous
12/14/07 4:57:38AM

im surprised nobody has said anything about Urijah Faber, hes Amazing. so i definatly agree with you Belive in Judo.

but Huerta has had an awesome year, 5-0 deserves credit, maybe breakout fighter. but i still dont think fighter of the year, close but no cigar.

1. Has to be Anderson Silva. he is dominate, unstoppable and defeated Rich Franklin (Fan Favorite, Face of UFC Middleweights) TWICE!!!

2. Rampage. im mean come on the guy ruined Chucks career along with defending his title against one of the best in the world, Dan Henderson.

3. Randy Couture. a forty year old should not win against the opponents he faced, he came in as the underdog and won. he's a beast! the next time we talk about him might be in the discussion of all time best.

4. Urijah Faber. dominate, and does things that you just dont see. he's amazing in the ring. argueably the best featherweight in the world.

5. I'll say Huerta here. like i said close but no cigar. he's had to good of a year to not consider for this.
hippysmacker
12/15/07 12:06:06AM

Posted by Svartorm

If Sokoudjou takes his fight on the 29th, which I expect he will, he'd get my vote. A lackluster fighter takes three top 10 fighters in a year with at least two by brutal KO.

I agree. Anderson second for me. Page 3rd