Huerta to face winner of Penn vs Stevenson?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Huerta to face winner of Penn vs Stevenson?
Next Page »
wapttn
12/9/07 3:32:01AM
During the sports update following the TUF6 finale on The Score, it was mentioned that this fight was for number 1 contendership and that Huerta would now be facing the winner of Bj Penn and Joe Stevenson.
wapttn
12/9/07 3:34:08AM
I looked for some sort of link but couldnt find one.. I would normally not have posted anything, but I know everyone in canada has the score, and I suspect that it's available elsewhere as well. I also wouldnt've posted anything if I didnt feel this came out of left field. Whether or not the source which The Score was using was correct, this is the first anyone has said about any number 1 contendership.
cmill21
12/9/07 3:35:18AM
Saw that two. I'm glad, I don't want Sherk to hold the title, he's not exactly an exciting fighter, not to mention him recently testing positive for steroids.
TimW001
12/9/07 3:37:26AM
How 'bout the winner of Huerta/Florian fight the champ? That seems more reasonable.

Edit: Actually, Huerta in his post fight interview at UFC.com , he just asked for a title shot.
loller90278
12/9/07 4:19:59AM
i'd love to see stevenson vs huerta! that'd be a great fight
KNN
12/9/07 4:49:52AM
Huerta should fight Frankie Edgar next, that guy is the next big thing in the LW division, not Roger.
Kainlock
12/9/07 6:25:11AM
Huerta will have a problem with a wrestler.
nickcuc547
12/9/07 9:02:24AM

Posted by loller90278

i'd love to see stevenson vs huerta! that'd be a great fight

edgar would handle huerta, guida was having no problems taking roger down until he landed that big knee, i think edgar would take him convincingly.
rabbit915
12/9/07 10:10:13AM
I think that while Huerta is now a contedner, he still isnt number one. I was really hoping for Florian to challenge him after the fight. I think the winner of that should be number 1.

As far as people saying Huerta didnt deserve that win, are you serious? Yeah i had him down 2 rounds too but both of them were so close. Huerta managed to survive some huge shots from Guida, managed to sprawl to stop some of his takedowns (and Guida has the best takedowns in the lightweight division), and managed to escape tons of submissions attempts, until he submitted Guida late after managing to land a devestating knee. He also managed to not get gassed while fighting Clay Guida. What part about that isnt impressive?
skateongrass91
12/9/07 10:17:00AM
yea nobody can take that win away from him, even though clay guida fought better in the first 2 rounds, the fight is always open for either man to finish.
casey64
12/9/07 10:45:10AM
Sweeeeet
StevieC
12/9/07 11:10:50AM

Posted by wapttn

During the sports update following the TUF6 finale on The Score, it was mentioned that this fight was for number 1 contendership and that Huerta would now be facing the winner of Bj Penn and Joe Stevenson.

OK, don't get me wrong I really, really like Huerta but if this was a number one contender fight then why didn't Huerta fight Tyson Griffin? Since Griffin beat Guida(well, the judges thought so) Or Ken-Flo? Edgar?

And seriously, how long is it really going to be before Sherk gets another shot??...In my mind the only fighter right now who has a chance to beat Sherk is BJ and that is if BJ finishes him in the first two rounds....So, I like Huerta to fight on more person (KenFlo or Edgar, or hell Mac Danzig) Danzig has more experience than KenFlo and Edgar put together.....

All of it really means is someone is eventually going to lose to Sherk....

COME ON DANA, Sakuri! Gomi! Melendez! Let's start signing these guys!
jae_1833
12/9/07 11:40:32AM
There are too many out there in this division for that to have been for the #1 shot. I would think that he still needs another name or 2. I have seen Edgar mentioned here, but I think Huerta would take him after last night, same goes for Tyson. Man I can't wait till Hermes Franca comes back!!
tuvok500
12/9/07 11:55:03AM
I don't think Huerta will have a direct shot without fighting 1 more time.

i see him fighting Florian or Griffin or edgar or etc.. lol so many good fighter in that division !! lol

Vietnamese_Guy
12/9/07 12:09:57PM

Posted by jae_1833

There are too many out there in this division for that to have been for the #1 shot. I would think that he still needs another name or 2. I have seen Edgar mentioned here, but I think Huerta would take him after last night, same goes for Tyson. Man I can't wait till Hermes Franca comes back!!

Frankie edgars? the guy that convincingly defeated spencer fisher and out wrestled tyson griffin?
MMA
12/9/07 2:41:39PM
I moved this to the general discussion since it lacks I source yet. Once you find a link, I'll move it back.
stock
12/9/07 2:56:31PM
I really like Huerta and think he is a really good fighter, however Guida is his first win ever against a guy not making his UFC debut.
I still have Griffin, Edgar, Franca, and (obviously) Sherk ahead of Huerta for the next shot at the belt after Penn/Stevenson square off.

JimiMak
12/9/07 3:21:44PM
I hope this is right just cuz it pushes the "roid shark" furthur down the list. He shouldn't be in any kind of contendership til he shows he can fight top comp clean.
NatedawgThaM
12/9/07 3:47:56PM
What the heck are you thinking or smoking? The guy has had ONE quality win. ONE!!! You really would put him over Tyson or Frankie Edgar to face the winner of Joe or BJ? The winner of that is facing Sherk. Huerta still has more to prove before he is in title contention. He proved last night he's for real but one win over a quality opponent should not leap frog you over guys who have multiple wins over qaulity opponents. I think he should fight Kenflo. One more true test. Then the winner of that can fight Tyson after he beast that one no name he's about to fight/beat while Frank Edgar fights the loser of BJ/Joe to face the winner of the Sherk/winner of BJ/Joe.

Huerta still needs to prove if he's belongs in the title picture. One quality win does not mean ANYTHING!!!
GodofWar
12/9/07 3:50:11PM
i dont see why huerta would get the next title shot. all he did was beat one really tough fighter who was beating him. imo either stevensen or bj penn would have their day with huerta. Both would be great fights but id see both submitting him. they should build him up so more and test him with fighters like din thomas, frankie edgar, kenny florian or even mac danzig now that hes coming down in weight. these would all be great fights that would either prove he deserves a shot soon or hes just a great b-level performer.
Franklinfan47
12/9/07 4:51:40PM
What about Sherk vs Huerta for the #1 contender spot to face penn/stevenson?

And then Tyson Griffin or Frank Edger vs Kenny Florian for the next shot?
rabbit915
12/9/07 6:45:26PM
I think Griffin, Edgar, and Florian are all above Huerta in the contender picture.

And on a side note i think sherk should be below all of them too so he has to work for another title shot.
jocksmall
12/9/07 7:42:22PM

Posted by wapttn

i think shrek shuold get the winner and huerta should fight florian for the #1 contender to fight the winner of shrek vs penn or stevenson
prozacnation1978
12/9/07 10:14:31PM
i say ken flo vs huerta for number one contender match winner faces penn or stevenson
Pinkalicous
12/10/07 1:07:29AM
i like Huerta he is one of my favorite fighters, but i agree with the majority, he should still have one or two more fights. Edgar, Tyson, or Ken-Flo, if he manages a win against two of them i think he has a legitimate argument as the number 1 contender. i also think he has a chance to beat all of them, i mean he proved already he can fight, the only thing i saw wrong at the finale was his takedown defense, and even then he was able to sprawl out of danger.
StriderXero
12/10/07 11:10:10AM
Huerta really impressed me.....but I agree, he does need another good mtch up to put him in the picture. But I think he needs only one other good match up to win. Pretty sure it'll be Kenny (maybe cuz of his commentry during the fight) But fact of the matter is, if he beats Kenny he should get #1 contendership. I think if he does, HE WILL get the title shot....cus he's really starting to become a poster boy too. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, I think he's cool.
BerndRealBad
12/10/07 7:57:18PM
I think Huerta needs at least two wins over top guys before he's mentioned for a title shot. There is no way that he should get a title shot before Jon Fitch, and I know they're in two different divisions, I'm just using Fitch for this example because he has 1 more win than Huerta and if you compare all their fights, Fitch has fought better people in practically every one of them if you look at who Huerta's fought.

On a side note, I still think in a rematch, Melvin Guillard would knock Huerta out. He showed it in his fight with Garcia and again with Guida that while his striking his excellent, Huerta's defense is AWFUL, and it showed when he finally fought someone who could be considered in the UFC Top 10 of his division.
iwannabesedated
12/10/07 8:56:21PM
Huerta Vs Edgar for the number 1 contender spot.Both are undefeated in the UFC and for anyone in any weight class to have 4 or 5 straight wins is pretty impressive wether or not you agree that the guys they have fought are top guys or not.I agree that Guida was Huertas' first "tough test" but hey its not like he handpicked who he fought before Guida.I dont think he should get a title shot for his next fight.I say Huerta and Edgar you cannot argue that either guy has not been impressive in any of their fights.
marketmaven
12/10/07 10:15:15PM
Huerta should be the #1 contender, you cant find anyone in the lightweight division who is perfect in the UFC and has won 16 in a row.

He has beat a world class BJJ, two incredible wrestlers, and an all out Greg Jackson trained brawler. I think Florian should fight Edgar to determine the #3 contender and Sherk should be the #2 contender. I think they just announced that Sherk will get an automatic fight against the newly minted winner of BJ and Stevenson (which unfortunately makes Sherk the #1 contender)

Again Huerta 6-0 UFC (fought increasingly difficult characters).

Florian 6-2 in the UFC (the guy is good, but he has fought professionally a total of 10 times)

Sherk (the guy is really good and dominating wrestler and the guy most likely to man-handle Huerta but tests confirm he cheated)

Frankie Edgar (3-0 UFC) the guy is a great wrestler who fought incredibly against a game Tyson Griffin. Still, get two or three more wins against top contenders. Also would like to see how he does against Alberto Crane or better yet Thiago Tavares

Thiago Tavares (3-1 UFC) he is 12 and 1 overall. This guy is a studd, but still needs a few more fights. I think he'd chew Florian or even Edgar up and spit him out like a discarded beef jerky.

Let Huerta finish his business degree take some time off, let Sherk get his token rematch, and have Huerta fight the winner of Sherk and BJ\Stevenson in MEXICO.
marketmaven
12/10/07 10:18:04PM
Course Danzig has some good experience but I think you gotta fight at least 4 fights or so to get a title shot (unless you are Rampage or Anderson)
Pages: [1] 2