Huerta clarifies recent controversial comments

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Huerta clarifies recent controversial comments
MMAcca
8/9/08 8:06:25AM
UFC president Dana White tends to tolerate fighters who publicly complain about their contracts about as well as he does a tack in his shoe. When he starts comparing those who do dare to challenge him publicly to his ex-light heavyweight champion and favorite whipping boy, Tito Ortiz, it’s a sure sign he’s about to erupt.

White was interviewed by a Toronto radio station on Wednesday when he heard for the first time that lightweight Roger Huerta had expressed unhappiness with his contract. Predictably, White didn’t take it well. A day later, he said Huerta’s comments were “almost Tito-like,” which is about as big an insult as White can dish out.

Huerta faces the most significant fight of his life Saturday at UFC 87 at the Target Center when he takes on Kenny Florian in a highly anticipated lightweight bout. A battle with White is the last thing Huerta needs on the eve of the toughest fight of his life, but Huerta, who survived one of the most difficult childhoods imaginable, said he’s prepared so well for the fight that nothing will distract him.

LINK
Aether
8/9/08 8:55:41AM
haha... maybe not the best idea to say that a matter of days before he goes into a fight most people think he's going to lose.
RandyCouture
8/9/08 9:20:28AM
Huerta wants 100k or something a fight which most fighters should get but with Ufc's low pay I dont thing that he will get anywhere never that. They will probably settle for around 45 a fight if he loses and maybe 55 to 60 if he wins. Those are high figures probably even less for both
Stills79
8/9/08 9:31:48AM
Complain all they want. Until their is another organization that can gurantee contracts for more money, they are all stuck.
MALICE
8/9/08 9:47:27AM
The thing most people dont realise is what the UFC does with the majority of its profit. They put it back into the UFC. Marketing and Expansion. To solidify the sport of mma. So the low to moderate pay that the fighters are receiving now is quite acceptable, because the sport and the fighters will only benefit from all that the UFC is doing right now.

prozacnation1978
8/9/08 9:58:48AM
he is back peddling
JimiMak
8/9/08 11:46:30AM
I don't think contract issues should be discussed publically. It's none of our business. It's unprofessional and is only done to try to put public pressure on the company to agree to your terms.
Porch28
8/9/08 12:15:25PM
Don't worry Kenny is going to fix his problem
xphycorx
8/9/08 1:12:03PM

Posted by Porch28

Don't worry Kenny is going to fix his problem

haha! yes he is! (if lesnar wasn't your avatar i'd give you props)
SpiderSilva
8/9/08 5:39:08PM
Maybe Huerta should think first plus doesn't the UFC still pay better than everyone else besides Affliction overpaying to try to bring in more fighters
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
8/9/08 7:34:25PM
I will be very happy when Florian wins and by a beating because he's my favorite at 155 and because I like Huerta too and dont want him to leave and maybe he needs to lose to keep himself in check.
Porch28
8/9/08 8:05:59PM
Let me tell you I've been watching the pre fight vids tonight and you can't but help to feel for Roger Huerta. I have a totally different respect for him. What a hard life. I really feel for the guy. Too bad he has to face Kenny
Aether
8/9/08 8:54:12PM

Posted by Porch28

Let me tell you I've been watching the pre fight vids tonight and you can't but help to feel for Roger Huerta. I have a totally different respect for him. What a hard life. I really feel for the guy. Too bad he has to face Kenny

Yeah I agree. That's a tough life, guy is a real survivor. Explains why he's such a tough bastard in the cage. I think Kenny is going to beat him also though heh.
bls1919
8/10/08 12:07:18PM
Good article. I think he should and will get a better deal when he re-signs witht the UFC after his next fight. The man is a great fighter with the heart bigger than the world. It will be hard to beat him down the road, with a little more expeirience.(and no i havent seen the fight with florian yet downloading as we speak.)