Hows your NHL team doing?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Hows your NHL team doing?
Next Page »
iwannabesedated
2/12/08 7:24:37PM
I seen the topic cowcatcher had on the NBA and well i dont have an NBA team in Pittsburgh...

But i do have the Pens who are "at the moment" in 1st in the atlantic which is a real tight division right now.Once Sid went down i as like oh shit this could hurt but all it did was light a fire under Malkins ass and he is on a tear also Conklin has been getting it done between the pipes...so i ask hows your team standing.

LETS GO PENS!!! only 3 pts behind Ottawa for top team in the East.

I know theres some Hockey fans on here
zephead
2/12/08 7:32:00PM
Caps fan. Turned it around once Bruce took over as coach. Got the best player in the league, too. Ovy. Does it all
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/12/08 7:32:33PM
GO HABS GO!!!
iwannabesedated
2/12/08 7:34:48PM

Posted by zephead

Caps fan. Turned it around once Bruce took over as coach. Got the best player in the league, too. Ovy. Does it all

Ovy better watch out...Malkin is going to pass him and win the art ross

I really miss the old Pens Vs Caps rivarly back in the day..I guess theres still alittle one there..but back in the early nineties it seemed ever year the pens and caps battled in the Playoffs.

I can agree that Ovehckin is the best Goal Scorer in the league next to Kovalchuk...But Crosby man..i know im a homer and all but how can anyone not agree that Sid is overall the best player in NHL.
BlazinSaddle
2/12/08 7:34:54PM
ah an NHL thread, i plan to go pro soon its nice to hear from the fans

anyway my favorite teams are...

Detroit Red Wings
(running away with the west)

Vancouver Canucks
(not doing well)

Toronto Maple Leafs
(not doing well)

Anaheim Ducks
(doing ok)

Carolina Hurricanes
(doing well)

Philadelphia Flyers
(doing ok)

Phoenix Coyotes
(not doing well)

San Jose Sharks
(doing well)

Pittsburgh Penguins
(running away with the east)
tuvok500
2/12/08 8:05:44PM
Well, Quebec Nordiques are dead so they are not doing very good i guess !!

iwannabesedated
2/12/08 8:14:08PM

Posted by tuvok500

Your not a Avalanche fan? seeing as how they used to be Quebec.

That always confused me as to why Winnepeg and Quebec left Canada to become US teams...I've always assumed the hockey market in Canada would be bigger than in the US.When i think of Canada i think of Hockey,Bacon,Hot Women and GSP.HOpe i didnt offend anyone...just a stereotype i guess..
tuvok500
2/12/08 8:17:34PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Posted by tuvok500

That always confused me as to why Winnepeg and Quebec left Canada to become US teams...I've always assumed the hockey market in Canada would be bigger than in the US.When i think of Canada i think of Hockey,Bacon,Hot Women and GSP.HOpe i didnt offend anyone...just a stereotype i guess..

Yeah, i am an Avalanche fans but it is not like before when i was able to go to Quebec to see Goulet and Hunter and etc..

Sakic is still one of my favorite fighter but well, it is not the same .

BlazinSaddle
2/12/08 8:21:27PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by tuvok500

Yeah, i am an Avalanche fans but it is not like before when i was able to go to Quebec to see Goulet and Hunter and etc..

Sakic is still one of my favorite fighter but well, it is not the same .

since you brought up dead teams did you like the winnipeg jets, cus i did, now i just cheer for the coyotes instead
Gipper
2/12/08 8:23:42PM
CALGARY FLAMES.

must be nice to crosby every night. i like how he fights now.
BlazinSaddle
2/12/08 8:28:46PM

Posted by Gipper

CALGARY FLAMES.

hey were you a fan of theo fluery? a 5'6 guy who took on anybody and usually won, one of my top 5 favorite NHL players, he was at his peak right around the time he left calgary and the beginnnig of the rangers
iwannabesedated
2/12/08 8:35:12PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Posted by Gipper

CALGARY FLAMES.

hey were you a fan of theo fluery? a 5'6 guy who took on anybody and usually won, one of my top 5 favorite NHL players, he was at his peak right around the time he left calgary and the beginnnig of the rangers

I remember him...Didnt he have some troubles with the Booze though and thats when his downfall started..
MattHughesFan
2/12/08 8:50:43PM
Big time islander fan. Were not so Hot right now but just like last year we'll turn it around, make the playoffs by the skin of our teeth and from there who knows what will happen. Lets Go DP
Rush
2/12/08 8:58:43PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Toronto Maple Leafs
(not doing well)

The Leafs situation is a fiasco right now. They need to totally rebuild their organization (mostly off the ice) and change their priorities if they ever want to win a cup again.

BTW, I am a Leaf fan.
mk1630
2/12/08 9:28:04PM
Sabres all the way....only a point out of the playoffs w/o Drury or Briere anymore. What more can you ask for?
BlazinSaddle
2/12/08 10:43:22PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Posted by Gipper

CALGARY FLAMES.

I remember him...Didnt he have some troubles with the Booze though and thats when his downfall started..

he had some issues i dont remember what, too bad cus he was a good goal scorer and had great potential to play a couple more years
Kpro
2/12/08 10:44:51PM
I lost money on the Bruins tonight.

F the NHL.
BlazinSaddle
2/12/08 10:46:39PM

Posted by Kpro

F the NHL.

so it that how you get all yer props, being the funny guy cus you bet on a terrible team
Kpro
2/12/08 10:47:28PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Posted by Kpro

F the NHL.

so it that how you get all yer props, being the funny guy cus you bet on a terrible team

I don't actually watch NHL, I bet on them because they were the favorite.

Therefore I failed.
Silent-Sir
2/13/08 12:17:56PM
GO, FLAMES, GO!!!

They're actually not doing to bad. Especially since they've figured out how to start scoring again. They're sitting at number 2 in the Northwest division. Now they just need Iggy to start putting pucks in the net again and they're all set. That, and Kipper needs to get back to his old self.
pv3Hpv3p
2/13/08 3:36:59PM
Transplanted Pens fan, moved to MN so the wild are starting to grow on me...

Got a tough devision though... It's like every Canadian team vs us, and then they throw in Colorado too...

I mean:
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Colorado
Minnesota

I can't believe they play as well as they do... Gabrik is a ligitimate all star if he can stay healthy... And playing with his country-mate Demitra has only elevated his play... Seems we have a solid core of goal tenders and also a good few young guys who round out the package rather well...

Still got my 90-91 comemerative Penguins Stanley cup championship coca cola fans... And my Mario Lemiuex audographed hockey stick... So basically while I watch the wild, because it's all the hockey that's on out here, I still bleed a little black and gold
zephead
2/13/08 4:18:10PM

Posted by zephead

I really miss the old Pens Vs Caps rivarly back in the day..I guess theres still alittle one there..but back in the early nineties it seemed ever year the pens and caps battled in the Playoffs.

I can agree that Ovehckin is the best Goal Scorer in the league next to Kovalchuk...But Crosby man..i know im a homer and all but how can anyone not agree that Sid is overall the best player in NHL.

Well, Ovy is leading the league in goals, scoring, PP goals, Even Strength goals shots on goal. As to hittiing, between Crosby and Ovy, it ain't close. Ovy hits anything and everything on the ice. Physical play, goes to Ovy. Ovy is PKing. Ovy backs down from nobody. Never whines to the refs. Plays the game the way it's suppose to be played, Physical The only thing that Crosby has over Ovy is his passing ability.

The Pens look like they're doing great without Crosby. The Caps lose Ovy, season over. Crosby is a great passer. But when you talk about Best Player, you have to look at the total package. Crosby can't compete with Ovy when it comes to defensive play, hitting, goal scoring. Ovy sets the tone of the game with a goal, a massive hit or a defensive play. Crosby will try to set the tone with a nice pass. Big difference.

Boo_Radley21
2/13/08 4:23:56PM
I'm a big Devils fan. They were doing amazing for a while but lately they've been having some trouble. Atlantic is one of the closest divisions in the league right now though IMO.

Jersey will make the playoffs for sure and I even think they'll sneak away the Atlantic division title again
iwannabesedated
2/13/08 4:37:02PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by zephead

Well, Ovy is leading the league in goals, scoring, PP goals, Even Strength goals shots on goal. As to hittiing, between Crosby and Ovy, it ain't close. Ovy hits anything and everything on the ice. Physical play, goes to Ovy. Ovy is PKing. Ovy backs down from nobody. Never whines to the refs. Plays the game the way it's suppose to be played, Physical The only thing that Crosby has over Ovy is his passing ability.

The Pens look like they're doing great without Crosby. The Caps lose Ovy, season over. Crosby is a great passer. But when you talk about Best Player, you have to look at the total package. Crosby can't compete with Ovy when it comes to defensive play, hitting, goal scoring. Ovy sets the tone of the game with a goal, a massive hit or a defensive play. Crosby will try to set the tone with a nice pass. Big difference.

What about Puck Control nobody handles and moves the puck better than Sid..Is he more Physical thatnOvy i doubt it but he doesnt have to be.Crosby is the best Playmaker in hockey.Ovy is pretty much your whole team so he has to be playing 2 way hockey and putting the pucks in the net as well as hitting and going both ways on the ice.Crosby has a cast around him to where he doesnt have to PK and be on the ice when he isnt needed.If Ovy played on a team like detroit id bet his numbers wouldn;t be quite the same cause his ice time and shifts would probably be reduced.I like watching Ovy play as much as Crosby but id take Crosby over Ovy any day.But this is what make sports interesting...the whose better arguements..It sucked Crosby couldnt make the all star cause seeing him on a line with Ovy and Lecavlier from tampa or alfredsson from Ottawa would've been awesome.
zephead
2/13/08 9:02:49PM
I answer you with this, Gretzsky won 4 cups. He was this great playmaker. Messier wins 6 Cups. He won another one AFTER Gretzsky left the Oilers and then led the Rangers to their first Cup in 54 years. Now Gretzsky was a great OFFENSIVE player. Messier was a great ALL AROUND player.

If Ovy was on any other team, including the Red Wings, his ice time wouldn't dip. He is to good of a player to not keep on the ice at all times. He does whatever it takes to win. I remember his very first shift here in Washington. We were playing the Blue Jackets, he puts a Blue Jacket through the glass. That was his first NHL shift.

Now, I'll take a complete anyday of the week over a one way player.

Here's what other players say about him:

“I would start with his speed and add 100 different other things that are great,” San Jose center Joe Thornton said, “but I'd definitely start with his speed.”

“He's got tremendous speed, but he can stickhandle with full speed, too. He can make moves with that speed,” offered Detroit defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom. “It's tough to sum it up with one word because he's so good at a lot of different things.”

“With his talent and the way he can score, he's still a very, very physical player and I think that helps him a lot,” Jason Arnott said. “Guys know that he cannot only score, but he's going to run you over if he can. He's got so many attributes that it's hard to narrow down one.”

“His desire with the way he wants to score goals and compete and battle for the puck, that's the best way to describe him,” Gonchar said.

“Ovechkin right now has this knack of beating people one-on-one,” Atlanta coach/GM Don Waddell said. “He has this willingness to pay a price to score a goal.”

“You can just tell, he's a great competitor, a superstar and that's great for the League,” Scott Gomez said. “He competes every night, and I think that's the biggest compliment you can give him.”

"I think for him it's just the energy that he brings to every shift and every game,” Brian Campbell said. “He does a lot of the little things that make players successful who don't have the skill, but he has the skill that goes along with it.”

“He's got a lot of heart and desire,” said Rick Nash.

iwannabesedated
2/13/08 9:29:56PM
And Crosby

Pittsburgh Penguins' franchise record for assists in a season by a rookie (63)
Pittsburgh Penguins' franchise record for points in a season by a rookie (102)
First rookie to record 100 points and 100 penalty minutes in a season
Youngest player in NHL history to record 100 points in a season
Youngest player in NHL history to record 200 career points (19 years and 207 days)
Youngest player in NHL history to have 2 consecutive 100 point seasons.
Youngest player to be voted to the NHL All-Star Game
Youngest player in NHL history to win the Art Ross Trophy
Youngest player in NHL history to win the Lester B. Pearson Award
Youngest player in NHL history to be named to the First All-Star Team
Youngest player in NHL history to be named a full team captain (In January 1984, Brian Bellows of the Minnesota North Stars was made interim captain at 5 months younger than Crosby, but he only served the latter half of the 1983-84 season replacing injured captain Craig Hartsburg)

Awards

NHL
Art Ross Trophy - 2007
Lester B. Pearson Award - 2007
Hart Memorial Trophy - 2007
NHL First All-Star Team - 2007
NHL All-Rookie Team - 2006
Rookie of the Month - October 2005
All-Star Game - 2007, 2008*
Mark Messier Leadership Award - Jan. 2007
In 2007, Crosby was nominated for Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People list.

He’s dynamite. He’s the best player I’ve seen since Mario. He’s that good."
—Hockey legend Wayne Gretzky

He’s a great passer and sees the ice real well.
—Capitals star Alexander Ovechkin

He keeps you on the edge of your seat. He gets off the ice and you can’t wait to see him get back on."
—Former NHL star Gilles Meloche

He’s quicker than I was. Maybe a better shot, too."
—All-Star Peter Forsberg

"He is the total package, on and off the ice."
—NHL veteran Dale Tallon

BlazinSaddle
2/13/08 9:34:02PM

And Crosby

Youngest player in NHL history to record 200 career points (19 years and 207 days)
Youngest player in NHL history to be named a full team captain (In January 1984, Brian Bellows of the Minnesota North Stars was made interim captain at 5 months younger than Crosby, but he only served the latter half of the 1983-84 season replacing injured captain Craig Hartsburg)

Awards

NHL
Art Ross Trophy - 2007
In 2007, Crosby was nominated for Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People list.

He keeps you on the edge of your seat. He gets off the ice and you can’t wait to see him get back on."

—All-Star Peter Forsberg

—NHL veteran Dale Tallon

i still dont think any hockey player will ever catch gretzky, but if anybody has the potential its crosby
zephead
2/14/08 5:18:10PM

And Crosby

Awards

NHL
Art Ross Trophy - 2007

—All-Star Peter Forsberg

—NHL veteran Dale Tallon

We know he's a offensive player, but when you talk the best, they have to be a all-around player. Messier, all around player. Crosby got most of those penalties from "unsportsmen like." In other words, crying to the refs.

Oh yea, Calder Trophy to Ovy. He didn't have a Mario, Gonchar, Rechi the first year he played and still out scored Crosby.

I like the makeup of the Caps with Backstrom at 19 (Tied Kane for leading scorers among rookies). Mike Green (leading goal scorer among D-men) 19. Semin 22. Two young netminders in Hershey.

DJDark41
2/14/08 6:39:23PM
Lets go Rangers! Doing pretty good, had a whole week off so we gotta step it up and get some points and get us into a comfortable spot.
cmill21
2/15/08 12:15:08AM
Well my blackhawks are...well the Blackhawks lol. I love them all the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3