so houston alexander gets 5 more fights in the ufc

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » so houston alexander gets 5 more fights in the ufc
MFOTHER
9/4/08 4:18:14PM
really? just wondering why now? seems like weird timing. He must have already been signed for his next fight in two weeks. Just wondering why they would sign him to FIVE more after back to back 1st round losses.
DiabloFreak56
9/4/08 4:21:52PM

Posted by MFOTHER

really? just wondering why now? seems like weird timing. He must have already been signed for his next fight in two weeks. Just wondering why they would sign him to FIVE more after back to back 1st round losses.

these are the reasons

1.exciting to watch
2. fan favorite

you ask why now?

tbh i dont know but im happy to see him get a contract extension. he always puts on a good fight win or lose
emfleek
9/4/08 4:23:55PM

Posted by DiabloFreak56

Posted by MFOTHER

these are the reasons

1.exciting to watch
2. fan favorite

you ask why now?

tbh i dont know but im happy to see him get a contract extension. he always puts on a good fight win or lose

In other words...

MARKETABILITY

MFOTHER
9/4/08 4:31:09PM
i get what your saying...but

he has lost as many times as he won, and back to back losses arnt a good way to prove you arnt a flash in the pan (which many people thought)

also the fans are fickle, another loss and we'll see how popular he is.

i realize this might sound harsh, or that i dotn like him.
1. i think he is a beast, and really wanted him to keep running through people.
2. i dont think he should be kicked out or anything, but 5 fights to me seems like it is one of the bigger contracts (maybe i just dont know enough about ufc's contract negotiations
3. if this (sept 14) fight was his last on contract, it seems they would have waited to see how he does

my only thought is, Dana, being the genius he is realizes that he can sign an exciting and fan favorite fighter, to a long contract, for a set amount of $$, when he is on a couple of losses. Then if he comes back to winning, hes locked in, and if he looses they can cut him or buy out his contract
balack_o-bama
9/4/08 4:48:43PM
Because 5 fights for him could take 1 year or a year and half.

He's not like most people who need 8 months to train for a fight.

He'll leave his mothers funeral in a snowstorm with a blown out knee to come fight you RIGHT NOW!

Thats why he got 5 fights, cause it wont take him that long to fight 5 fights.
emfleek
9/4/08 4:50:25PM
He can still be released without fulfilling his contract.
nickcuc547
9/4/08 5:17:59PM
the guy puts on a great show every time he enters the cage win or lose. i haven't seen a fight of his that i didn't enjoy, whether he is knocking somebody out or getting knocked out, it's always a highlight reel knockout.
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/4/08 5:37:06PM

Posted by nickcuc547

the guy puts on a great show every time he enters the cage win or lose. i haven't seen a fight of his that i didn't enjoy, whether he is knocking somebody out or getting knocked out, it's always a highlight reel knockout.

he'll definitely bring ratings to the fight night cards, im sure if he piulls a couple wins together he'll get back to ppvs
cowcatcher
9/4/08 5:45:48PM
im not sold on him as a top 20 205er, but ill tell you what, if he kos someone or gets ko'd i really like to watch it. he is a fantastic guy for the ufc to introduce casual fans to the sport with.
Jackelope
9/4/08 5:53:05PM
Houston Alexander may not be shit to most of the UFC's LHWs, but he'd probably wreck most anybody else's LHW's out there. (Minus obvious ones like Lil' Nog)

So the UFC keeps him under a ridiculous contract and he doesn't take his name elsewhere to get marketing for that company. Plus, like others have said.. he's flat out exciting to watch. So there you have it. Smart business move by Dana

sparky
9/4/08 6:52:46PM
I hope Houston loses at UFN15. He is the most over rated fighter in the UFC in my opinion. Just not a big fan of his I think there are tons of fighters out there who deserve his spot.
JimiMak
9/4/08 7:23:22PM
They wanted to tie him up while he's still a name, but has limited ability to negotiate a good contract after the two losses, so they tie him up for a multi fight deal (like Franklin) where they can cut him if they want but even if he does great he's locked in at what he could get now.
casey64
9/4/08 7:27:56PM
I liked him at first he was a good fighter but now hes getting beat by everyone.
Poohbah
9/4/08 7:38:24PM
UFC rewards fighters that bring it. He's highly entertaining. I'm glad we'll get to see more of him.
ThaAxeMurderer7
9/4/08 8:15:54PM

Posted by Poohbah

UFC rewards fighters that bring it. He's highly entertaining. I'm glad we'll get to see more of him.

Exactly. Another example is Chris Lytle.
tberg420
9/4/08 8:41:24PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Posted by Poohbah

Exactly. Another example is Chris Lytle.

Lytle's loses inside the Octagon have been against way better opponents. However, I get your point. Having met Alexander at UFC 77, I can honestly say that he's got a fan for life!
tooly236
9/4/08 9:36:47PM
He has never been in a boring fight, he will never be a contender, but he is a good 3rd liner.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/4/08 9:42:29PM
The whole reason they are doing this is because if he negotiates for a contract after knocking out shafer , he will have more leverage then his current situation (back to back losses). The UFC has the rights to rip up the contract after one fight anyways.
JackHammerXXX
9/4/08 9:47:40PM
Being from Omaha,myself. I have to say that seeing Houston beat the s#%$ out of Jardine was spectacular. I didn't know about him fighting that card, until that night! When he came out with the Nebraska hat.....oh man...

I'm telling you, I thought he got caught(he really did, and still denied months after, to me, in person) and was done, but he got up and gave Keith a right from hell. And so, it was amazing, somewhat flukish, but only cuz Jardine didn't fight him seriously, wisely. Sakara, was and is, a bum, saw that coming. Thiago is a killer, and exposed Houston. Irvin was flukish cuz it was one punch, and it was just one of them things. By the way, Alexander didn't believe that punch either. I don't know if he just doesn't remember getting hit or what....?

I thought, and believed that the fight with Schafer was win or go, well stay home, it's in Omaha. Now, with 5 fights, he's got to have a clause in there saying if he gets knocked out, in the first round, two more times, he's done, or something. Dana loves the dads though, take care of your kids, and be a humble dude, most importantly, put on exciting fights, you'll have a home with the UFC.
I got Alexander, first round KO/TKO. Hopefully something good, send him to 92 against Silva, or Shogun. Hell, imagine Soko/Alexander?!,

Anybody think he should drop to 185? He comes in at 203,204.
copcopps
9/4/08 10:38:57PM
He doesn't want to go to 185 but he would be a killer there. Not a threat to Silva but then again, nobody is
bls1919
9/4/08 11:11:09PM
makes me shake my head ...like Y the keep guys like that ..that long. Same with Sakara. But wil cut guys like Lutter and Lawler, S Smith,Cro Cop. I just don't get it,.
GrizzlyChadams
9/4/08 11:52:53PM
The reason they would keep guys like Alexander and not someone like cropcop is most likely because a) Alexander is probably alot cheaper and b) Alexander is down to fight anytime.
Pskinner_mma314
9/5/08 5:39:43AM
Houston IS a beast, so is Thiago. Houstons experience doesn't go that far, so it kinda (emphasis on kinda) gives him an excuse for that loss. as for his fight with Irvin, he just got caught, I don't like either of them, but that fight had gone further w/o that superman punch, u would have seen Houston vs Anderson silva on UFN 14
the_01
9/5/08 7:47:51AM
This guy has a fighting style of his own "Hit of be hit." He should find a camp that would teach him some ground moves, and some speech lessons. Otherwise, he is exciting to watch.