Houston out now?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Houston out now?
wiggum
9/18/08 3:46:21PM
So what do ya'll think?..is Houston Alexander out the ufc now?....3 straight losses, probably would have been out after the last one if he hadn't had those first two big wins.....but the guy really isnt that good, just powerful...maybe pick up a couple wins on some smaller shows to build back up and then come back, course he's no spring chicken either
emfleek
9/18/08 3:56:15PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he's out. However, I think his name alone is a good draw. If I were Dana, I'd keep him for name recognition alone and stick him on the prelims for each event.
Twenty20Dollars
9/18/08 4:00:19PM
At this point I would say have him go pick up a win or two in smaller orgs and then have him come back and try to finish the rest of his contract it was either 4 or 5 fights.
holt8081
9/18/08 4:02:39PM
Na na na na, Na na na na Hay hay hay Good bye
Chuteboxer
9/18/08 4:05:19PM
quite honestly, any fighter who gets finished in his last three bouts out in the UFC should be cut...that's jsut coming from me...
copcopps
9/18/08 4:11:18PM

Posted by Chuteboxer

quite honestly, any fighter who gets finished in his last three bouts out in the UFC should be cut...that's jsut coming from me...

I agree, and I'm a big fan of Houston Alexander. Jason Lambert is another guy
aaa9erh8er
9/18/08 5:29:07PM
i agree he hould be gone but i dont think he will be like ti was said his name draws becouse he does have that one puch ko ability thats worth watching for the chance to see a jardine reapeat..... with that said i wouldnt be surprised if he gets two cans weve never heard of then well see form there
mkiv9secsupra
9/18/08 5:51:04PM
This might be fighter bashing but Houston Alexander is the LOWEST cailber fighter in the UFC right now. His striking is sub par, his ground game is below non existant, his wrestling is subpar, and his cardio and heart are very questionable. The only thing going for him is KO power. I think he should be gone now but if he has to have one more fight then just give him to Matt Hammill and help build up Hammill's name recognition with a win over a popular fighter.
tooly236
9/18/08 6:05:24PM
No, I don't think he is going anywhere. He is exciting as hell, win or lose. He has no ground game at all, and he is to old to learn it in time. They will keep him because he is a crowd favourite. If they don't, he needs a new career.
gsquat
9/18/08 6:15:20PM

Posted by tooly236

No, I don't think he is going anywhere. He is exciting as hell, win or lose. He has no ground game at all, and he is to old to learn it in time. They will keep him because he is a crowd favourite. If they don't, he needs a new career.

Exactly. Think of how many new/uneducated fighters are watching a given event. They want to see this guy fight. When they think fighter, someone who looks much like Houston pops into their head. If he wins, they're pumped and continue to watch. If he gets submitted, they're confused and want to know more. How could this happen? He was so strong looking. It's just a good example of MMA vs brawler. He's good for the same reason Kimbo's good (Theres plenty bad about Kimbo but also some good. Nothing bad about Houston, but a lot of good).
Solidus
9/18/08 6:47:33PM
He's got nothing to offer except a chance at a flash KO. That was supposed to be a version of him after training some JJ and he looked more helpless than Kimbo on the ground.
Wolfenstein
9/18/08 7:42:41PM
He really needs to get into a camp like Xtreme Couture. Be around some wrestlers, get used to being taken down and scrambling out of bad spots.

Unfortunately he seems to have a pretty busy life with 6 children and all. He's a casual fighter. He is what he is and that's how he's going to fight. If he wants to be a proffesional fighter and evolve his game then I think we'll see him back in the UFC.

Right now though it's just a hobby for him and the UFC is about top proffesional fighters. He doesn't fit the UFC profile so I think he's out until he decides he wants to take MMA seriously.
ziegler3334
9/18/08 7:44:05PM
I think you could call houston alexander the "kimbo slice" of the ufc. He is by far the most one-dimensional fighter they have. But he is going to stick around because of his charisma. despite the fact that is a sitting duck on the ground, he's exciting because of his power and mainly because he has personality. I'd still rather watch a houston alexander fight than a belcher fight, even tho belcher was victorious last night. I'm sure i'm not alone in that thought, so the ufc will definitly keep him around. ravishing red proved to be too tough for him, so next they'll give him someone weaker. The ufc wants him to succeed. So i think his next opponent will be a new-comer set up to get KTFO, then a more well known name, but still not on red's level. Then they'll use him to promote a better fighter, like matt hammil or maybe even tim boetch. he needed to win this last fight, but even with a loss his ufc career is not over, imo.
StevenSeagal
9/18/08 8:13:54PM
at least learn a damn shrimp or hip escape from your back. basic JJ defense wont take that long to get down. They teach 5 year olds how to do mount escapes... Yeah he is who he is and can be exciting, but once people know the weakness then theres no more excitement. There are plenty of strikers that have little to no experience in JJ but can hang with the big boys. Crocop for instance is a glorified blue belt (least he was last time i knew under Werdum), CC's not out subbing people, but least learn how to sprawl and get it back up to the feet... Houston was bucking like some boxer dude from the early UFCs.
AxeMurderer97
9/18/08 8:55:28PM
I doubt Alexander will go anywhere, he's somewhat of a big named guy for the UFC to promote. Though he really is this absolute ***** of a fighter, he brings excitement.
casey64
9/18/08 9:04:04PM
I think he should leave.IMO
RNC
9/18/08 10:56:24PM
Dana won't cut him. Houston has knock out power and is a draw for the UFC. Most likely, Dana will advise him to work on his ground game, and he can come back in a few months and fight on some prelims.
nellyhiphophead
9/18/08 11:14:13PM
i say they will keep him and maybe put him on prelims. but he brings it everytime he hits the age and i always want to see him fight and still do. he has that wow factor and always keeps you on the edge of your seat. i say keep houston to the end. plus he did jsut sign i 5 fight deal also.
prozacnation1978
9/19/08 8:41:44PM
i think he is out needs to pick up a couple wins work on his ground game and sub defense
Poohbah
9/19/08 11:33:17PM
I just watched the fight again. Anyone care to explain a few things?

Houston landed two huge knees at about the 4:45 mark (I thought it was all over). But on replay, Schafer appeared to be down on at least one knee both times. Legal?

Then, after some great takedown defense, Houston just sort of falls over at 2:41. What happened? I don't even understand what the takedown/trip was. Anyone? It's like all of a sudden he quit fighting. Did he gas?
the_01
9/20/08 10:47:35AM
In my openion, the UFC is killing Alexander Huston by only giving him ground fighters. The game plan to beating him is simple "Take Him Down, Period." We all know the guy is a striker, give him strikers, and I promis you its the fight of the night. The guy fights like a Tazmanian Devil, he is fun to watch. I personnaly awaited the last UFC event for Alexander's fight only, the rest I really didnt care about. So, give him a striker, say Cro Cop, or anyone, just keep them standing, and we'll see fire works.
cmb19932
9/20/08 12:14:29PM
i thought dana said he was gone and to me i dont care u cant feed him strikers this is mixed martial arts and hes clearly not mixed enough so he cant hang
mkiv9secsupra
9/20/08 4:09:38PM

Posted by the_01
We all know the guy is a striker, give him strikers, and I promis you its the fight of the night.

the dude is barely a striker. He has heavy hands but not speed or technicality. Give him Crocop and he gets annihilated just like James Irvin did. Any good striker is going to have their way with him. He needs to get the boot and sent to WEC
Tein_Lung
9/21/08 8:14:59PM
I don't like the mentality of " you lose you are out" I mean some of the best and most exciting fighters have been guys that lost... Look at Sakuraba the dude lost damn near as much as he won but every sing fight was fun to watch....

To me its more fun to see an exiting fighter lose then a boring fighter win... Its why i cannot stand Kos..... hes a good fighter but the bitch is boring as hell to watch... i only watch his fights to watch him loose...

Then again on teh Alexander thing i do think he should be gond ebcasue the guy is only a stand up fighter... you get him down and you win... hes good for a KO reel on both sides of the fence
Qorvus
9/22/08 10:13:30AM
He's gone, IMO.

He either needs to dedicate himself to ground work, or go over to K-1 and see how he does there.