hours of training a day?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » hours of training a day?
zacatack
10/17/08 9:34:53PM
How many hours a day do fighters train for normally.
With school and every thing i can only train about 2 hours a day.Also how many days should u rest for during a week.
Rush
10/17/08 9:38:37PM

Posted by zacatack

How many hours a day do fighters train for normally.With school and every thing i can only train about 2 hours a day.Also through out the week how many days should u rest for.

It varies because different people have different ideas of what training is. I know some people say they spend 2 hours a day at the gym, but 75% of that time is talking or reading the paper.

My workouts are generally tough enough that I work out for 1 hour. Depending on the intensity of training I can train for up to 3 hours, but I usually don't like going that long because of getting hungry. But again, it depends on the training. Are you rolling or sparring hard or are you working out moves and combos (meaning doing 50% talking and 50% moving)

It really varies. I feel I benefit from more days of shorter workouts.
loonytnt
10/17/08 9:58:17PM
fightin just to fight or fightin bc thats what you do?

fightin just to fight 1-2hr 5 days a week would work

5-7hr a day because its your job
The_Ho_Bag
10/17/08 10:06:39PM
i get out of school at 11 =)

so i train from 12-3 30 break till 5 then 5-9 =)

im crazy but i want to go pro
zacatack
10/17/08 10:14:05PM
im only 14 so im just training for grapling tournments and kickboxing fights
juanez13
10/17/08 11:07:02PM
I go Monday to thursday, 2 hours a day from 6:30 to 8:30 for MMA/kickboxing. And saturday boxing only from 11 to 1.

Twenty20Dollars
10/18/08 1:01:09AM
you should do 10 hours of training a day, 5 days a week.
The_Ho_Bag
10/18/08 12:54:22PM

Posted by zacatack

im only 14 so im just training for grapling tournments and kickboxing fights

whats your KB rec?

zacatack
10/18/08 4:05:44PM
I havent fooght yet cuz its hard to find kickboxing fights in louisiana but im hoping to get a fighti in by the end of the year.
haggiswashere
10/19/08 4:39:40AM

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

i get out of school at 11 =)

so i train from 12-3 30 break till 5 then 5-9 =)

im crazy but i want to go pro

i thought you already did go pro. The Ho Bag haha sorry just kidding. its all in fun lol.
The-Don
10/19/08 4:17:39PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by zacatack

How many hours a day do fighters train for normally.With school and every thing i can only train about 2 hours a day.Also through out the week how many days should u rest for.

It varies because different people have different ideas of what training is. I know some people say they spend 2 hours a day at the gym, but 75% of that time is talking or reading the paper.

My workouts are generally tough enough that I work out for 1 hour. Depending on the intensity of training I can train for up to 3 hours, but I usually don't like going that long because of getting hungry. But again, it depends on the training. Are you rolling or sparring hard or are you working out moves and combos (meaning doing 50% talking and 50% moving)

It really varies. I feel I benefit from more days of shorter workouts.

when it comes to training different people respond differently.. a workout and training regimine that works for one may not work for another. YOu need to find what works best for you... I like to vary mine up.. some weeks I go all out others I slow it down and focus on pure technique so to sum it it really depends on how your body best responds.
BlooD_FighteR
10/20/08 5:26:11PM
All depends on what your training for and what you hope 2 gain. im training at the minute for a fight in 4 weeks so im doing 2 sessions a day 4-5 days a week, but remember ur bodys knows when its had enough so even if ur not hiting your targets straight away its all apart of the process! and most of all, NUTRITION! you get this right an u will c an feel the differences!

BlooD_FighteR
fedorwins1
10/25/08 12:45:14PM
wow you guys train a lot, i train about 1-3 days a week an hour to an hour and a half at most. i'm pretty lazy, but it doesn't help that my gym is about an hour away from my house and i'm still in highschool.
artofdefense
10/25/08 2:57:19PM
If you wanna fight...(amateur)

1-2hrs of your discipline each day (MMA, Kickboxing...)

.5-1 hrs cardio training a day

1-2 hrs of bag work at home.

THis is a pretty easy schedule to follow, and should be plenty for anyone not looking to be ranked in the top 50 pro fighters...
Aaronno9
10/25/08 6:07:34PM
I train 3 hours on a wednesday, 3 hours on a saturday. Its pretty non stop, only breaks coming when bags need to be set up, areas of the gym need to be cornered off to simulate a ring, of the instructor is teaching us a drill/technique. I have no intention of fighting anytime within the next 2 years though.
Rush
10/26/08 9:41:54AM
I'll add something to my post above. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. I know it's different for everyone, but I think is merely specifics. In general, people who work out more (past a certain point) are not getting any benefit and may be hindering their training.

I used to work out 2 hours a day for 6 days a week. I was so tired I was falling asleep at work. Also, I was not really improving all that much. I decided to get that 2 hours in half and get 1-2 hours more sleep a night and shave a couple days off the week to rest. I ramped my workout up to a way more intense level. I am now stronger, faster and don't fall asleep during the day now. Not to mention I am about 10 years older now too.

Day in and out I see these gym rats that are always working out. I swear most of them have chronic fatigue syndrome because their level of intensity does not change and they are always tired.

My advice is this. If you are working out so much that your technique is sloppy or you can't (or don't want) bump your intensity or goals a little each week (or day), then you are probably just wearing your body out.

I personally don't buy into the hype of MMA fighters training as much as they claim. As I said in the first post, training consists of a lot of different things, one of those is letting your body recover.
haggiswashere
11/12/08 2:54:47AM

Posted by Rush

I'll add something to my post above. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. I know it's different for everyone, but I think is merely specifics.

I personally don't buy into the hype of MMA fighters training as much as they claim.

especially seeing how much frank mir's guys work on TUF sometimes. sometimes they literally sit for like 2 hours on the mat visiting
Tizzy
11/17/08 10:18:43AM
I would say on how serious you want to get with your fighting as well as how far you are away from your fight. You don't want to be training 5-10 hours a day 2 days before your fight.

A couple of months before your fight I would say that at least 2 hours of conditioning/ cardio, 1-2 hours of technique and whatever sparring you can get at the end. All this 4-6 days a week.

It's important to listen to your body though. This kind of training is hard on it so if you are feeling strained, torn or injured then rest to recover. You can still hit the bike or treadmill if you are feeling over trained to maintain yourself and not go overboard.

You are no good if you are injured.
degsey
12/23/08 9:20:19AM
2 hours a day is a bit much, if you can train 5 days a week, say monday to friday
then this is a program that might help
Monday weight training no more than 45 mins cos after that your body will release a chemical that will eat into muscle mass.so...
bench press 3 sets of 10 at 75% of your heavest weight you can handle
single arm kettlebell press on the floof 3 x 10 each arm
barbell curls 4x 12
hammer curls 4x10
dead lifts 3x15(also works the abs)
single arm rows 3x 15 each side
ab work
Tuesday 90 mins martial art
wed
squats 4x12
good mornings 3x10
lunges3x10