How many hours till the K-1 Max tourny?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » How many hours till the K-1 Max tourny?
bustin_mma
7/12/09 10:05:31PM
?
loller90278
7/13/09 3:58:18AM
starts at 8am EST
DCRage
7/13/09 7:30:39AM
Actually, it started earlier-more like 6 AM ET according to SportsNavi. May not be able to get live results or any at all until this afternoon (sponsor thing).
emfleek
7/13/09 9:49:30AM
Kid Yamamoto = got KO'd
DCRage
7/13/09 12:53:21PM
Full results from K-1's official website (The MMA guys didn't do well):
They claimed 16,555 paid. Probably a Full House.
Jae Gil No beat Go Yokoyama by KO at 2:01 of round 3.
Dzhabar Askerov beat HINATA by unanimous decision in extra time. Fight was Draw after 3 rounds, so 1-minute extra round followed.
HIROYA beat Kiko Lopez by unanimous decision.

World MAX 2009 Final 8:
Yuya Yamamoto beat Drago by unanimous decision.
Giorgio Petrosyan beat Albert Kraus by unanimous decision.
Andy Souwer beat Artur Kyshenko by unanimous decision in extra time (1-minute extra round).
Buakaw Por.Pramuk beat Nieky Holtzken by unanimous decision.

Jae Hee Cheon beat Norifumi Yamamoto by KO at 1:20 of round 1.
Kazuhisa Watanabe beat Atsushi Yamamoto by KO at 2:40 of round 1.

Reserve Fights:
Yasuhiro Kido beat Leroy Kaestner by unanimous decision.
Yoshihiro Sato beat Joeri Mes by extra round decision.

Main Event: MASATO beat Tatsuya Kawajiri by TKO at 1:43 of round 2.

K-1 3, MMA 0. Ouch.

Semis & Finals are October 26. Semis are Yamamoto vs. Petrosyan and Souwer vs. Por.Pramuk.
cowcatcher
7/13/09 1:52:02PM
well masato beating kawajiri in a k-1 match is pretty much a given so thats not a big blow as far as k-1 vs mma is concerned. kid yamamoto losing again is a concern, soon hes going to start getting comparisons to gomi and people will say he was never that good in the first place.
DCRage
7/13/09 1:56:01PM
It's big for K-1 though, let's not forget that Kawajiri delivered a big blow pride-wise to them at Dynamite!! last year when he beat one of their better Japanese fighters (I forgot who, either Kozo Takeda or Musashi). So this has to be sweet revenge for the kickboxers to not only beat the MMA guys, but probably humiliate them.
loller90278
7/13/09 2:58:01PM
GIF:
lohmann
7/13/09 3:01:30PM

Posted by DCRage

It's big for K-1 though, let's not forget that Kawajiri delivered a big blow pride-wise to them at Dynamite!! last year when he beat one of their better Japanese fighters (I forgot who, either Kozo Takeda or Musashi). So this has to be sweet revenge for the kickboxers to not only beat the MMA guys, but probably humiliate them.

It was Takeda (Musashi is an aged heavyweight and got beat up by Mousasi), and Takeda isn't one of their better Japanese fighters. He has one win in five years in MAX competition . Masato, on the other hand, is in the elite class of kickboxers (two-time GP winner), and FEG threw this fight together knowing full well Kawajiri had no chance. It was totally about ticket sales.

Only result from the tournament that surprised me was Yamamoto defeating Drago. Drago wasn't going to win the tournament, but it always surprises me to see first-timers get to the semifinals. I picked Kyshenko to beat Souwer, but not with any certainty. That's the fight I need to see the most.