AS in Hot Water with Uncle Dana

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » AS in Hot Water with Uncle Dana
jakewalters
4/20/12 9:59:37PM
According to many sources, Anderson Silva is demanding the Sonnen rematch slated for June take place in Brazil. Dana is to announce Tuesday that the Sonnen/Silva rematch will be moved to Vegas (because of booking problems with a UN event in Brazil the same weekend). FrontRowBrian (LINK) is now reporting Anderson is apparently saying he will NOT take the Sonnen fight unless it is in Brazil.

Silva has been told if he refuses to take the fight in Vegas he will be fired. Dana is "beyond frustrated" with Anderson at the moment. Sonnen/Bisping 2 will be the replacement if Silva, arguably the greatest fighter in history, is fired. FrontRowBrian predicts AS will fold and take the fight 7/7 in Las Vegas. Crazy stuff.

AS is losing respect in my book by the minute.
Budgellism
4/20/12 10:04:57PM
Fuck, eh. That's some heavy shit right there. Silva getting fired would be insane.
Chael_Sonnen
4/20/12 10:31:03PM
Typical chicken response from ANN-dee.
jakewalters
4/20/12 10:37:12PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Typical chicken response from ANN-dee.

I was wondering how long it would take you to weigh-in on this
Wallass
4/20/12 11:15:10PM
I'm not jumping the gun on this one until Tuesday. With all the smack talking about Andy, his wife and Brazil, Anderson deserves the right to knockout Chael in Brazil!
FastKnockout
4/20/12 11:27:52PM
-He's the champion
-He's the longest reigning champion
-He beat Sonnen
-He beat Sonnen outside of his home country
-He's arguably the best fighter in the history of MMA

This is arguably the biggest rematch in the history of the UFC. Silva beat Sonnen once, and deserves to fight him in Brazil.
jakewalters
4/20/12 11:49:14PM
I don't think any fighter deserves the right to demand where a fight takes place. The UFC has shown they cater to their stars by giving Andy, Vitor, and Jose fights in Brazil, GSP a fight in Canada, Gustafsson a fight in Sweden, etc.

A UFC main event takes thousands and thousands of man hours to put together, and Andy demanding it in Brazil is a diva move. The UFC gave him a fight in Brazil recently. What is he going to do, demand every fight be in Brazil?

I know Sonnen has talked a lot of shit, but in the big scope of things Anderson seems to have brushed it off. And all that smack talk has made both fighters some money.
Twenty20Dollars
4/20/12 11:49:30PM
Haven't heard or seen any news about this.
jakewalters
4/20/12 11:55:42PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

FrontRowBrian has been on the forefront of breaking UFC news lately (first to report on the fact that Reem would still fight at UFC 146), and he reported on this a couple of hours ago.

Twitter - FrontRowBrian

Wow.. speaking of he just reported Overeem is out at 146. Fuck.
Budgellism
4/20/12 11:56:24PM
jakewalters
4/20/12 11:58:33PM

Posted by Budgellism

Daaaamn. This FrontRowBrian guy has been on his shit lately. I don't know what to make of all this to be honest.
Twenty20Dollars
4/21/12 12:02:14AM

Posted by jakewalters

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

FrontRowBrian has been on the forefront of breaking UFC news lately (first to report on the fact that Reem would still fight at UFC 146), and he reported on this a couple of hours ago.

Twitter - FrontRowBrian

Wow.. speaking of he just reported Overeem is out at 146. Fuck.

I know, but it was just saying many sources in the beginning and I hadn't see any. I'm just picky.
Kpro
4/21/12 12:02:59AM
Death threats, UN conference, the UFC sanctioning UFC events in Brazil albeit with the NSAC while trying to get MMA legal in New York... there's no option but to not have it at that event and if they are paid in their bookings out for months, is it allowable for a healthy champion to not fight for 1 1/2 years? I guess we'll find out.
TeamDEY
4/21/12 12:21:55AM
Silva is just playing games until the money is right.
prozacnation1978
4/21/12 12:24:59AM
Chael kept saying fight is in Brazil today
Also a press conference in Brazil this coming week in which he will be present
Chael_Sonnen
4/21/12 1:38:23AM

Posted by TeamDEY

THE VOICE OF REASON.....

Silva is just being a COWARD until the money is right.

MarkBlanchard
4/21/12 6:38:05PM
For as talented a fighter as he is, Silva is too much of a diva for me. In what other industry or business setting would you be able to walk into work and say that you don't feel like working on a particular project or traveling to a given location.

Silva is a professional fighter that gets paid to fight by the UFC, and he doesn't have the luxury to handpick his opponents or the fight venues. He's a great fighter, don't get me wrong, but the jury is still out as to whether he's been a great champion.

Mark
http://www.facebook.com/RealGuns
Pookie
4/21/12 6:52:15PM

Posted by FastKnockout

-He's the champion
-He's the longest reigning champion
-He beat Sonnen
-He beat Sonnen outside of his home country
-He's arguably the best fighter in the history of MMA

This is arguably the biggest rematch in the history of the UFC. Silva beat Sonnen once, and deserves to fight him in Brazil.

MarkBlanchard
4/21/12 7:23:35PM
I understand the reasons why the venue should be in Brazil for this fight, and within reason, the UFC should try to make it happen as a courtesy to Silva. But if issues come up which make that too difficult, as a champion Silva should be prepared to defend his belt in any venue.

At some point the whining and temper tantrums get old... these guys are professional fighters that are employed & paid by the UFC... and they have an obligation to fight. If they don't like the arrangement, move aside and let someone else step in that would be more appreciative of the opportunity.

Mark
http://www.facebook.com/RealGuns
jakewalters
4/24/12 10:17:48AM

Presser is going live in about 45 minutes.. signage outside confirms what was suspected: the Silva/Sonnen rematch will take place July 7 in Vegas at UFC 148.
jakewalters
4/24/12 11:31:01AM

...just about says it all.
KingCmb
4/24/12 11:43:02AM
my god cheals on handsome man with that circa 1994 john stamos hair
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
jakewalters
4/24/12 5:07:38PM
I see Chael_Sonnen already has changed his AV to reflect today's press conference.. Why no shoutout to the Playground in any interviews, Chael?!