Should There Even be a Hot Bout for the Affliction: Banned Event?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Should There Even be a Hot Bout for the Affliction: Banned Event?
POLL: Should There Be a Hot Bout for Affliction: Banned?
Yes, the Hot Bout is the closest fight on the card regardless the difference in percantage 64% (16)
No, the fight is not close percentage wise and it should not be the hot bout 16% (4)
Doesn't matter either way 20% (5)
wolfman
6/16/08 7:36:46PM
As stated in the title, do you think this event(Affliction: Banned) should have a hot bout? I personally think that since the picks are so lopsided that there should not be a hot bout for this event. I understand that the closest bout on the card(percentage wise) is deemed the hot bout for every event.

However, with an overwhelming 71% picking Mark Hominick and only a mere 29% picking Savant Young, I don't think there should be a hot bout. I believe that a hot bout should be A LOT closer percentage wise. There should be a % cut off for the hot bout(60-40 maybe). As with this hot bout you will either have a majority of the players get the 10+ points or a small minority. It seems unfair, if you miss this hot bout it will greatly effect your score as the majority will get the extra points. Then, if the minority picks the hot bout correctly, the majority will be left without the extra points. This would be great for the minority. Yet, it is a closer fight than the percentages show and it is risky to go with Savant.

I am sure this will get shot down as the majority picking Mark like that it's the hot bout, but I think that it makes sense and this fight should be deemed as a regular fight and not include double the points. Well, let me know what you guys think and feel free to voice your opinions.

Just think, if it were to drop another 9% Savant would be considered an Underdog!
iwannabesedated
6/16/08 7:48:39PM
I think the hot bouts should only be when they are within 5% of each other.

60 % to 40% is too much of a gap to constitute a hot bout IMO...but thats just me.

Maybe within 10% but no more.
hotrodttt
6/16/08 7:52:37PM
I say Yes, It's an easy Pick for me as Mark always Struggles with Wrestlers and Savant is very Skilled
wolfman
6/16/08 7:59:26PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

60 % to 40% is too much of a gap to constitute a hot bout IMO...but thats just me.

Yeah, I agree and if you check the site's stats you will see that most are in the 10% range or less. Just kind of threw that percentage out there as I am sure everyone's view on how close the hot bout should be is different and gave it a more liberal range.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

hotrodttt: Yeah, that's how I see the fight right now. Yet, I still worry that Mark might pull off the win if he comes in on the top of his game. He is very inconsistent and you never know which Mark will show up.
ohiostate1016
6/16/08 8:09:21PM
The only cutoff that I would put is that a Hot Bout can't have an underdog bonus. I'd say that this one is within those parameters.
wolfman
6/16/08 8:16:02PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

The only cutoff that I would put is that a Hot Bout can't have an underdog bonus. I'd say that this one is within those parameters.

Fair enough. It's good to read other people's opinions on why there should be a hot bout or not, rather than just seeing the results. I personally think that a Hot Bout should just be that, a "HOT" Bout. One that is TOO close to call and the percentages reflect that the fight could go either way. Essentially, to me it seems pointless to have a hot bout when the percentage difference is so large. This bout should be called the "Luke-Warm Bout"....and that's being generous. lol Yet, I know everyone has different opinions and from the poll I am clearly in the minority.
wolfman
6/16/08 11:00:10PM
ttt
holt8081
6/17/08 12:12:48AM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

I agree, between 5 and 10% or I guess it would be even to 10%
BerndRealBad
6/17/08 3:43:37AM
What needs to happen is more people need to choose Mark Hominick so I can get some underdog points when Savant wins. C'mon people, pick the more well known name! And while you're at it, keep thinking Justin Levens is going to win another MMA fight ever again.
CornishMMA
6/17/08 6:37:00AM
Things dont get changed on this site so this is all pretty pointless but yes of course the hot bout should only be there with double points when its a close fight, thats a no brainer, but like i said things rarely get corrected and it will be deemed as fair and the same for everyone
wolfman
6/17/08 3:02:07PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Things dont get changed on this site so this is all pretty pointless but yes of course the hot bout should only be there with double points when its a close fight, thats a no brainer, but like i said things rarely get corrected and it will be deemed as fair and the same for everyone

Yeah, it seems stupid to have a Hot Bout for an event when the percentage for the Hot Bout is not EVEN CLOSE. There are such big underdogs on the card and I understand that the rules state that it's the closest bout on the card, but seriously this is not close at all. I don't expect this to be changed this season or ever, but think there should be a cutoff for the hot bout percentage wise. So, that is why I threw it out there.
iwannabesedated
6/17/08 8:48:53PM
Affliction-The most 1 sided picks on mmaplayground.com ever.

I got 4 under dogs picked to win anyways.