"Horn won't be scared like Henderson", says Palhares

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » "Horn won't be scared like Henderson", says Palhares
Wolfenstein
12/30/08 7:45:41AM
Rousimar Palhares (8-2) says Dan Henderson was ‘scared' to fight him on the ground when they met earlier this year.

Henderson won by decision but Palhares' coach Murilo Bustamante criticised him for employing an "ugly strategy".

Palhares faces Jeremy Horn at UFC 93 next month and told Fighters Only earlier that as Horn "has a better game on the ground, it should be a different fight."

link
postman
12/30/08 8:44:18AM
Why in Gods name would anyone want to be on the ground with that Cat? He is a Beast! Dan knew he could beat him on the feet so he did. Besides what man in his late 30's want Mat burn?
MikeyG
12/30/08 9:57:29AM
If I'm not mistaken Hendo only went on to win because he was saved by the bell when he was in a cinched leg lock but Hendo just wouldnt tap. Either way I agree with Henderson's game plan in that fight and Palhares will be a serious force in the MW division in 2009-2010.
pinoymixplaya
12/30/08 10:08:40AM
Last time I checked this is MMA and not submission wrestling or grappling, so therefore stand up and striking is a vital aspect of the sport. I really liked Palhares and was interested in seeing his run in the UFC but if he refuses to develop a good stand up game, then he will just become an epic fail...
ohiostate1016
12/30/08 10:27:23AM
ANY fighter would be stupid to not expose Palhares' weakness in the standup game, especially a fighter with solid standup like Hendo. Why would you want to go to the ground with him when you don't have to?

He's just whining here, IMO, and should really look at his place in line and realize that he has no place to talk, especially about Dan Henderson.
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/30/08 10:33:20AM
I think this fight will be over fairly quickly. "Paul Harris" will dominate IMO
wiggum
12/30/08 10:55:42AM
ummmmm isnt the idea to win the fight?......why give your opponent a higher probablity of winning? ...in this case, palhares would have a higher probality on the mat....kind of a silly statement.......lets see palheres go into a fight with da spida and have the gameplan to stand..derrrr

with that said i think palaheres is awesome tho! hahahaha...truly amazing grappler
postman
12/30/08 12:07:13PM

Posted by pinoymixplaya

Last time I checked this is MMA and not submission wrestling or grappling, so therefore stand up and striking is a vital aspect of the sport. I really liked Palhares and was interested in seeing his run in the UFC but if he refuses to develop a good stand up game, then he will just become an epic fail...

Hes got some Bad ass kicks
DevonFoxy
12/30/08 1:16:33PM
......and Horn will loose as Henderson whopped that booty.
Twenty20Dollars
12/30/08 1:27:04PM
Well im sure Horn wont be scared because what does he have to lose, Hendo is looking for that rematch with Silva or a title shot.
ThePlague
12/30/08 3:14:19PM
Lol, Did he expect Hendo to just feed him a leg? When someone is afraid to go to the ground with you in MMA, you're supposed to put them there forcefully.

I am excited about this guy though, and I can't believe I totally overlooked this fight! 93 is going to be frikin' fun, even though it isn't as weighty as the last couple of cards.
Aether
12/30/08 4:43:03PM
That's a pretty stupid comment, honestly. He wasn't scared of fighting him on the ground, he was smart enough to know that he would dominate him on the feet without ever taking any risk.

The converse could be said of Palhares. He was shooting telegraphed takedowns from 6 feet away every 15 secodns so I guess he was afraid of fighting Dan on the feet right? This guy has a lot of potential but what a poor loser to say something like that.

You got beaten by a better, more well rounded fighter than yourself. Take your lumps like a man and improve your standup and your shots instead of blaming your opponent for being too scared of you to allow you to beat him. rofl.
EpicTerran
12/30/08 4:56:44PM
So was Palhares scared to fight Hendo on the feet then? I don't get it , the object is to NOT play into your opponents strengths. What a classless lame comment, I hope he doesn't succeed in the UFC.
loller90278
12/30/08 5:26:55PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Rousimar Palhares (8-2) says Dan Henderson was ‘scared' to fight him on the ground when they met earlier this year.

Henderson won by decision but Palhares' coach Murilo Bustamante criticised him for employing an "ugly strategy".

Palhares faces Jeremy Horn at UFC 93 next month and told Fighters Only earlier that as Horn "has a better game on the ground, it should be a different fight."

link

man, bustamante is still bitter after all these years?
higdon10
12/30/08 7:08:32PM
I have lost all respect for him after this comment. Henderson is one of the most accomplished fighters in the world, Palhares is in no way suited to criticize him. The comment was classless and full of ignorance. Stop your bitching Rousimar, I seriously doubt that Jeremy Horn is going to pull guard against you.
Jackelope
12/30/08 10:18:40PM
Translation: "I got my azz handed to me because the other fighter controlled where the fight happened."

Much respect to Palhares for his sick ground game, but guess what? Welcome to MMA- the sport where even grappling greats like Marcelo Garcia are 0-1 because guess what! This aint UFC 1 no more!
JulesWinnfield
12/31/08 12:24:13PM

Posted by pinoymixplaya

Word!
TheNatural915
12/31/08 2:06:45PM
Henderson had no choice, he couldn't get beat again he had already lost his last 2 fights. Henderson even said that he wanted to go to the ground but he just couldn't risk it. He knocked Palhares down like 4 times in the fight. I Palhares should have tried to take it to the ground more but instead he just stood up with Henderson and got his tail beat.
jiujitsufreak74
12/31/08 3:37:41PM
Palhares is a great talent, and one of my favorites, but he has to learn how to stop complaining and force his opponents to his world. look at Aoki for example. everyone knows where the fight has to go for Aoki to win, yet he finds a way to get it there nearly every time. stop bitching and do something about it.
Pookie
1/1/09 6:48:48AM
Did anybody read the article? It seems like they just took a snippet of a quote & stated it out of context.