Holman/Hamill's Wrestling

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Holman/Hamill's Wrestling
JoeMimic
2/28/07 12:13:21AM
Who do you think has the better wrestling? I really think that is what this fight will come down to. Here are their stats in that area. -

Holman - NCAA Champ for Ohio State, Big Ten Champ, Pac 10 champ for Arizona State, 3rd and 4th at Freestyle Final Olympic Trials.

Hamill - three time NCAA national wrestling champion and two time world champion for freestyle wrestling

Hamill's training with Team Punishment still as far as I know but I really doubt his striking has come along that far to make this fight exciting and I'm sure Holman still relies on his wrestling a great deal. Who holds the edge and why? And who is your pick to win this? I think it goes decision but which way I dont know.
xthe_scottx
2/28/07 1:02:46AM
My pick is Hamill. He has great wrestling that I doubt Holman could beat and he has fought in the UFC twice so he won't have the nervousness that Holman may get. I do agree that Hamill's striking won't be at a level where it can give him the win but he has been training with Ortiz who is a great coach and I also doubt that the striking of Holman is much if any better than Hamill's. This will probably be a fight with way to much lay an pray but with that being said, I give the win to Hamill via unanimous decision.
madmarck
2/28/07 9:36:29AM
Matt Hammil has shown some good boxing. Dont underestimate Team Punishments striking. Just cuz Tito got KO'd by Chuck doesn't mean that he sucks at striking. He did go 3 rounds and was pretty dam decent.

Hammil showed his boxing over Jesse Forbes (another wrestler). And i dont know if Rex Holman will have a chance. I see Hammil having the advantage in wrestling, striking, and i think by know he is getting to know some decent subs training with Tito.
Menard_StC
2/28/07 10:21:51AM
Hamill does NOT have good boxing. Tito has pretty good technical standup, but you can still tell he's a wrestler trying to strike. Its not his fault, its just not his world.

I think if Holman has any kindof standup whatsoever he could win this... as far as wrestling Holman accomplished more in college so take that for whats its worth. I think Holman is a decent bet because he has a good shot to win against Hamill, who really hasn't been impressive at any point in his MMA career from what ive seen... but nobody knows who Holman is so they'll assume he can walk over him.

Anyone know what weight Holman wrestled at? Will he be the same size as Hamill?
illinifighter
2/28/07 11:32:42AM
this match looks like its going to be a back and forth taking a guy down and holding him the fight should be titled holman vs. hamill: Human Blanket Wars
madmarck
2/28/07 12:13:26PM

Posted by Menard_StC

Hamill does NOT have good boxing. Tito has pretty good technical standup, but you can still tell he's a wrestler trying to strike. Its not his fault, its just not his world.

I think if Holman has any kindof standup whatsoever he could win this... as far as wrestling Holman accomplished more in college so take that for whats its worth. I think Holman is a decent bet because he has a good shot to win against Hamill, who really hasn't been impressive at any point in his MMA career from what ive seen... but nobody knows who Holman is so they'll assume he can walk over him.

Anyone know what weight Holman wrestled at? Will he be the same size as Hamill?

Hamill does not have good boxing skills? What is you opinion based on? The fact that on TUF he was jsut a wrestler? So was KOS and Diego now both of them have got good stand up.
When Matt fough Jesse he out boxed him the entire time. He should some pretty decent skills against Seth too (although most of that was Lay and Pray). Just wait till this fight happens and you will see that he has good boxing. I never said great. Just good.
crimethinc
2/28/07 12:30:47PM
I think Rex has a chance in the standup game. I think Matt is an insane wrestler. His skills combined with his incredible hulk strength give him the necessary tools to dominate in a wrestling match. But when I think about standup I just see Matt with his hands down and I think back to TUF when He got his bell rung in practice and acted like a baby for days. Hopefully with Team Punishment they have taught him how to use his great wrestling skills and implement some GnP to finish his fights. This is what I based my pick on, but if Rex takes it I won't be super surprised.
Mitchell740
10/3/07 7:11:07PM
I say Hamil, but also keep in mind Hamil wrestled Division III wrestling and not Division I as most former wrestler UFC fighters have. On levels of competition from Highest to greatest with collegiate wrestling it goes Div I, Div III, Div II. So at the same time Div III isn't that far off from Div I.
Violentcuv
10/4/07 6:58:08AM
I heard these two are suppose to fight at UFC 68???
I think it will be an interesting fight....

I got Hamill Round 1 TKO
CornishMMA
10/4/07 7:05:37AM
Seriously why do we have to keep suffering these numptys bumping up 8 month olds threads??? if you are using the search function use your brain and check the dates of the posts etc, its not hard ffs!