holding the trunks

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » holding the trunks
Naturaldisaster
8/21/08 11:46:09PM
is it legal to hold your own shorts/trunks to keep from gettin put in a sub? say someone is tryin to pop your arm out for a kimura but you hold your trunks to keep from gettin put in it, is that legal? Im watchin ufc 74 and it looked like KOS was doin that, and you can hear Big john say somethin between round 2 and 3, it sounds like he said he can hold his own shorts, but Im not sure if thats what he said. so is it legal or not? I know you cant hold you opponents, but not sure about your own.
just curious
Boo_Radley21
8/21/08 11:52:25PM
Good question.
grappler0000
8/21/08 11:59:23PM
I don't believe you can...I swear I can remember someone getting warned for doing exactly that.
Pitbull09
8/22/08 12:28:34AM
This fight drove me crazy too cause it is a foul. Some guys were talking about it in my submission grappling class a few weeks ago and its illegal in both MMA and Sub grappling.

In BJJ, its fine but what Kos did shouldn't of been allowed. Thats the only reason he didnt get submitted. Held on for dear life with those shorts
Bowen50
8/22/08 1:46:48AM
yeah i remember watching that fight and FLIPPING OUT about the fact he was grabbing his shorts.
Naturaldisaster
8/22/08 2:01:24AM

Posted by Pitbull09

This fight drove me crazy too cause it is a foul. Some guys were talking about it in my submission grappling class a few weeks ago and its illegal in both MMA and Sub grappling.

In BJJ, its fine but what Kos did shouldn't of been allowed. Thats the only reason he didnt get submitted. Held on for dear life with those shorts

yeah no doubt. GSP has the leg over KOS's head and had that kimura deep, but the grabbin the shorts was the only thing preventin it.
Jackelope
8/22/08 8:05:23AM
In the UFC you're not allowed to. Just like you're not allowed to grab a hold of gloves.

That takes away a lot of submission defenses (particularly the kimura) but I like the rule being that way. I'll have to rewatch that fight
mattjonesy
8/22/08 10:11:08AM
i think because it is illegal shouldnt all fighters be premitted to wearing the really tight spandex shorts? that way people couldnt grab on to their shorts even if they were really trying to.
Pitbull09
8/22/08 2:36:41PM

Posted by mattjonesy

i think because it is illegal shouldnt all fighters be premitted to wearing the really tight spandex shorts? that way people couldnt grab on to their shorts even if they were really trying to.

I dont see why it would have to go that far. There are a lot of things rules could force to prevent fouls but thats no the point. The point is that the fighter shouldnt do it and there are point deductions and disqualifications set in place to stop them.

Except for when Anthony Johnson fights
casey64
8/22/08 6:41:10PM
I dont think you can.
tepid55
8/23/08 1:48:30PM
I think you can grab your own shorts, but not the shorts of your opponent.
breakdown5
8/23/08 10:59:16PM
It is allowed in the UFC.

Official UFC rules per the NSAC

Rule 20 deals with the holding of gear.
DJDark41
8/24/08 1:23:59AM

Posted by breakdown5

It is allowed in the UFC.

Official UFC rules per the NSAC

Rule 20 deals with the holding of gear.

I see no rule about holding your own shorts. So I guess... technically its legal.
Mastodon2
8/24/08 6:43:52AM
Should only be legal when using a Gi. Then again, if fighters just wore Vale Tudo shorts instead of those daft American Board shorts that have invaded MMA then It wouldnt be an issue at all.