The UFC is Holding a Press Conference Tomorrow to Announce the Return of Randy Couture

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » The UFC is Holding a Press Conference Tomorrow to Announce the Return of Randy Couture
MMAcca
9/2/08 1:17:56AM

Steve Cofield reports that the UFC is holding a press conference tomorrow at noon PT:

After 11 months of fighting in the courts it looks like the UFC and Randy Couture have buried the hatchet. The promotion is holding a press conference on Tuesday at Noon PT to announce a new deal with the heavyweight champion.

Couture is expected to face Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 in Portland in what could be the biggest pay-per-view show in the UFC's history.

Let's cross our fingers and hope nothing falls apart. This is potentially the beginning of a very big run for the UFC and MMA in general.

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
9/2/08 1:25:59AM
Ive got to say, Im prolly the only one that isnt excited to see couture come back to the UFC after all the nonsense that could have been avoided if couture just would have finished his last fight but now wants a new 3 fight contract?

Lesnar and Big Nog both beat couture and then so does fedor.
Jshep714
9/2/08 1:28:53AM
Awesome. When Lesnar wins this will put some of the doubters to rest. Or the haters will come up with another bad excuse as to why he wins. Love Lesnar or hate Lesnar, you cannot say that the UFC is feeding him cans.
Mir, Herring, and now Couture. Should be a good fight.
Aether
9/2/08 2:50:58AM
I really doubt that they will allow him to return as the champ. I'm sure the UFC doesn't want to deal with the mess that would create, and even though they didn't officially strip him, I doubt they're going to let a champion walk away for a solid year and retain his belt.

I could be wrong but I would be really surprised if I were.
KYGUY07
9/2/08 2:57:47AM
IM not to excited about Couture coming back, at one time i had so much respect for the man, but hes put the ufc through so much crap over the last year.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
9/2/08 3:02:21AM
Think both Couture and Randy should be given another fight before a match.

I think Lesnar should be given a gimme match on free TV, not against a can, but against somebody credible that he would definetly win...since Kongo is out, and Gonzaga might actually beat him, I'm going to say Brandon Vera.

I think Coutures first match should be against Nog. Win or lose he fights Lesnar next, either for the title or not depending on how he does against Nog.
PaleHorse
9/2/08 3:31:30AM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

I think Lesnar should be given a gimme match on free TV, not against a can, but against somebody credible that he would definetly win...since Kongo is out, and Gonzaga might actually beat him, I'm going to say Brandon Vera.

I think Coutures first match should be against Nog. Win or lose he fights Lesnar next, either for the title or not depending on how he does against Nog.

Yeah we all want to see Brock Lesnar, a wrestler the biggest guy in the heavyweight division face Brandon Vera, the smallest guy in the heavyweight division who's already proven he can't hang with the bigger men. Lesnar isn't asking for boys he's asking for talented heavyweights.
cloppio
9/2/08 3:47:27AM

???? duel personalities????

snakeplissken
9/2/08 7:26:25AM

Posted by PaleHorse

Yeah we all want to see Brock Lesnar, a wrestler the biggest guy in the heavyweight division face Brandon Vera, the smallest guy in the heavyweight division who's already proven he can't hang with the bigger men. Lesnar isn't asking for boys he's asking for talented heavyweights.

That and the fact Vera's dropped to LHW now...
whardin19
9/2/08 7:43:42AM
Eh...not too excited about this myself. I would like to see the matchup with Lesnar more than I'd like to see the matchup with Nog though. I think Couture would take Nog. But I believe Lesnar could win a fight against Couture.
cowcatcher
9/2/08 8:17:38AM
if the ufc decides to co-promote an event with m-1(which almost is seeming likely to me now) then it looks like randys last hurrah will be lesnar, then the winner of mir-nog(probably nog), and finally fedor before he rides off into the sunset. after the teleconference today im really hoping to hear that this is whats going to happen.
tdietel01
9/2/08 8:39:13AM
if he gets his 3 fight contract and he fight brock, nog and fedor......... i see his ride into the sunset being at 1-2 after those fights
DevonFoxy
9/2/08 8:39:28AM

Posted by cowcatcher

if the ufc decides to co-promote an event with m-1(which almost is seeming likely to me now) then it looks like randys last hurrah will be lesnar, then the winner of mir-nog(probably nog), and finally fedor before he rides off into the sunset. after the teleconference today im really hoping to hear that this is whats going to happen.

This is how I feel it should go. I think he should be fighting Nog personally and just forget about Mir as he did nothing to earn his shot but they did TUF so no way is that going to happen now.

The Lesnar fight could go very bad for the UFC in the long run however as if Lesnar does beat Randy by Lay-nPray everyone is going to be out for Lesnar's blood. No one really cared when he did it to Herring but if he does do it to one of the most beloved fighters in UFC history people are going to be asking for his head.
jocka
9/2/08 9:32:25AM
Actually aren't they negociating with Fedor at the moment, I would love to see the Couture/Fedor fight just so people would stop talking about it lol
xburbx
9/2/08 9:38:51AM
Dana vs Randy -
Dana by submission in the 11th month

I would have taken Dana at a -200
RMFG_187
9/2/08 10:54:35AM
Lesnar wont win, and Nog would get smashed by Couture, ya'll dont kno wat ur talking bout.

but if it came down to it, Lesnar would have a better shot of beating Couture than Nog.
Bowen50
9/2/08 11:23:34AM
i'm very happy this is finally resolved. Couture came to his senses and realized that there is more than Fedor. Lesnar, Nog, and Fedor could be Randy's 2nd retirement party. i am supremely confident that he will beat Lesnar and Nog. i honestly think Randy Vs. Fedor has the making to be one of the greatest fights in MMA history. 2 guys with tremendous heart and skill going out there to prove who is the best heavyweight in the world is. Randy's last couple fights should surely be some great ones.
emfleek
9/2/08 11:27:48AM
I'll believe it when it's "official".

Until then...hogwash, I say!
Kracker_Jap
9/2/08 11:42:09AM

Posted by emfleek

I'll believe it when it's "official".

Until then...hogwash, I say!

I'm on the same boat......

This guy (Randy) Has shown that he is way to much like Tito......

McBee
9/2/08 3:37:22PM
The conference has been rescheduled for 4pm ET, instead of 3pm ET.

JimiMak
9/2/08 3:50:15PM

Posted by RMFG_187

Lesnar wont win, and Nog would get smashed by Couture, ya'll dont kno wat ur talking bout.

but if it came down to it, Lesnar would have a better shot of beating Couture than Nog.

Not a chance. lesnar would prob'ly smother him for the dec. Nog would prob'ly take a beating then tap him. Randy is good, and on an alltime level he is great, but these are among the top current HW's that would most likely beat him.