Hockey Talk

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Hockey Talk
« Previous Page
zephead
11/5/09 10:27:10PM

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

Posted by DCRage

This is what's become of hockey, it seems. It's bordering on football in terms of violent hits on star players. Speaking of which, this isn't NHL-related but there was perhaps another such situation in a minor league game last weekend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv0EpEiyqUs&feature=player_embedded
The player taking the hit is only 16. He's in serious but stable condition with head injuries and skull fractures, he was recently upgraded from critical condition. The controversial part is the penalty given to the player who delivered the hit, for which he got a boarding and match penalty-DONE. Suspended for the rest of the OHL season and playoffs-that's a minimum of 51 games.
Is the suspension warranted? Absolutely. But for the entire season? That seems to be what's lighting the fuse as well as the hit itself. Something does need to be done about these hits to the back and to the head. Granted, there aren't many places you can make a check that potentially can't cripple someone for life (maybe the arms) but there has to be something serious done about it now, not after this happens again.

That hit was atrocious and any suspension given to the player responsible is well deserved. As for Ovechkin, last year the very first Caps vs. Pens game every single time Malkin touched the puck Ovy took a run at him. He attempted to destroy him every time he touched the puck, charges, interference, everything. Bruce had nothing to say about that. If you're going to play like a moron you should expect repercussions eventually. I do not wish injury on any player, as he is very exciting, but learn to deal with it, if you deal it out.

Ovy doesn't play like a moron. He plays hard physical hockey. He doesn't throw hissy fits and nutpunch or jump other players. He plays hockey the way it's suppose to be played. Just ask Gordie Howe and The Great One. My problem with this is Chimeranot answering the bell when he is called and the Caps not protecting Ovy from this happening.
Hendo67
11/6/09 6:16:39PM

Posted by DCRage

This is what's become of hockey, it seems. It's bordering on football in terms of violent hits on star players. Speaking of which, this isn't NHL-related but there was perhaps another such situation in a minor league game last weekend:
The player taking the hit is only 16. He's in serious but stable condition with head injuries and skull fractures, he was recently upgraded from critical condition. The controversial part is the penalty given to the player who delivered the hit, for which he got a boarding and match penalty-DONE. Suspended for the rest of the OHL season and playoffs-that's a minimum of 51 games.
Is the suspension warranted? Absolutely. But for the entire season? That seems to be what's lighting the fuse as well as the hit itself. Something does need to be done about these hits to the back and to the head. Granted, there aren't many places you can make a check that potentially can't cripple someone for life (maybe the arms) but there has to be something serious done about it now, not after this happens again.

That hit was atrocious and any suspension given to the player responsible is well deserved. As for Ovechkin, last year the very first Caps vs. Pens game every single time Malkin touched the puck Ovy took a run at him. He attempted to destroy him every time he touched the puck, charges, interference, everything. Bruce had nothing to say about that. If you're going to play like a moron you should expect repercussions eventually. I do not wish injury on any player, as he is very exciting, but learn to deal with it, if you deal it out.

I'm going to have to disagree to an extent, I do think the hit was bad, but it wasn't entirely Liambas's fault... I do think it warrants a suspension, but the rest of the year and playoffs? c'mon, give him 10 games and slap a fine on him... If you watch the video again, Fanelli turns to admire his pass at the last second, if you honestly think Liambas tried to piledrive his head into the boards like that you're insane. Liambas plays a tough, hard nose game but this isn't him at all. Liambas made a hockey check, no elbow, no jump, just body contact it's just unfortunate that Fanelli turned away...at that point there was nothing for Liambas to do but to continue to follow though, it's not like you can stop on a dime. He was going at a good speed, yes...but he stops his stride before the red line. Like i said, he does deserve a suspension, however not for a year/playoffs. Had Fanelli not been injured, there would probably be a 2/3 game suspension. It's unfortunate, and i wish Fanelli a speedy recovery, if Bertuzzi can still play in the NHL, there's no reason Liambas can't.
Gogoplatapus
11/7/09 3:48:41PM

Posted by Hendo67

Posted by DCRage

I'm going to have to disagree to an extent, I do think the hit was bad, but it wasn't entirely Liambas's fault... I do think it warrants a suspension, but the rest of the year and playoffs? c'mon, give him 10 games and slap a fine on him... If you watch the video again, Fanelli turns to admire his pass at the last second, if you honestly think Liambas tried to piledrive his head into the boards like that you're insane. Liambas plays a tough, hard nose game but this isn't him at all. Liambas made a hockey check, no elbow, no jump, just body contact it's just unfortunate that Fanelli turned away...at that point there was nothing for Liambas to do but to continue to follow though, it's not like you can stop on a dime. He was going at a good speed, yes...but he stops his stride before the red line. Like i said, he does deserve a suspension, however not for a year/playoffs. Had Fanelli not been injured, there would probably be a 2/3 game suspension. It's unfortunate, and i wish Fanelli a speedy recovery, if Bertuzzi can still play in the NHL, there's no reason Liambas can't.

Such a fluky play, 99.9% of the time that hit is innocent. It's sad that a kid got hurt but a 50+ game suspension is way too many. My gut said he deserves 3-5, and will probably get 10-15. I have problems with David Branch. I think he's got a big ego and the wrong people in his ear. If that's Mike Richards, Dion Phanuef, or even cats like Colby Armstrong or Lucic finishing their checks like that you'd never see more than 2 or 3 games even if they put a guy in the hospital like that. So many fluky circumstances lead to that.
DJDark41
11/8/09 2:27:32PM

Posted by DCRage

Before you read my post, I would just like everyone to read this. I don't condone high hits, I'm not a fan of people getting injured, and I'm all for fair and just suspensions.

However, the hit that resulted in the kid getting a skull fracture, was only a fraction as dirty as some of the hits we've seen in the NHL so far this season.

However, a combination of many factors lead to this brutal injury.
1. The player who got hit, turned and made an awkward pass, leaning forward in the process, and exposing his head to the hit. That doesn't make it ok, but the simple fact is, Liambus was aiming for a body-on-body crunch, but Fanelli moved his body, but left his head out.
2. Upon initial contact, it appears that Fanelli's helmet comes off of his head, AND he hits his head on the metal beam supporting the glass. This is just a terrible coincidence. Not a dirty play, and its nobodies fault, accidents happen.

Was it going to be a clean hit? Had Fanelli not turned, he would've been nailed straight from behind. Easily a boarding penalty, most likely 5-minutes.

But, as much as we need to crack down on "head-hunting" and other such dirty activity, I think we also need to look at how we can protect the players from being hit in the first place. One idea that could prevent hits like this behind the net/in the corner, is to remove the trapezoid behind the net and let goalies play pucks everywhere behind the net. Goalie comes down, stops the puck, and either gives the D-man time to look up, or can play the puck out of the zone. I know this rule was put in to help boost the offense, but the game can't be made "more exciting" at the expense of a players health.
DCRage
11/20/09 2:16:06PM
You just gotta love them California girls that are hockey fans...don't mess with them, even if you are a big man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lur2HB3ihk0&feature=player_embedded
DCRage
1/11/10 8:18:39AM
Proof we need to see more Russian hockey over here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wscrxQcChog&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmkLYkQ0_Nk&feature=player_embedded
The fights resulted in a suspended game because, well, nobody was left, at least 7 suspensions, the equivalent of $167,500 in fines to the teams (or 5 million rubles-evidently that's a lot in Russia), one team warned it faced being kicked out of the league if this happens again, an impromptu MMA tryout by Jaromir Jagr (looked like he tried a guillotine early on) and perhaps the best non-NHL fight ever. Oh, and about the total PIM equivalent of an average non-goon/enforcer's ENTIRE NHL career (637!).
Oh, and the game itself lasted just 219 seconds before it was called.
zephead
1/16/10 1:37:04PM
Ovy up to 2 in the league in scoring. He has played 7 less games then everybody else. A goal and 4 assists last night
Rush
2/1/10 1:27:11AM
Leafs made some good moves today.

Picked up Phaneuf from the Flames and dumped Toskala and Blake.
DCRage
2/1/10 5:13:46AM
10 wins in a row for the Caps! One more sets a franchise record.
zephead
2/2/10 4:24:36PM
Caps rolling right now.
zephead
2/2/10 10:09:13PM
That's 11 in a row for the Caps now
Boo_Radley21
2/3/10 12:11:21AM
**** you Maple Leafs...that's all there is to say right now.
The_Metal_Maniac
2/3/10 11:15:26AM
Out of the twenty three years the President's trophy has been in existence, only seven of the winners have won the cup. Zephead if Pens and Caps meet again in the playoffs would you want to do another avatar bet?
Boo_Radley21
2/4/10 11:28:00PM
Devils acquire Ilya Kovalchuk!!!! **** yea!!!!!
The_Metal_Maniac
2/5/10 10:17:49AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Devils acquire Ilya Kovalchuk!!!! **** yea!!!!!

For nothing too. Johnny Oduya, Niclas Bergfors, this years 1st rd pick, and suspended prospect Patrice Cormier( who throws a lot of elbows). If the Devils sign him long term this could be considered one of the bigger steals in a while. Bergfors hasn't scored since December 30th. I'm a die hard Pens fan and the one team we always have trouble with is the Devils. Now with the addition of Kovy they become scarier.
zephead
2/5/10 2:28:14PM
That's 12 in a row
DCRage
2/6/10 7:11:27AM
13 now. Question now is if they'll be able to play tomorrow's big one against Pittsburgh (blizzard).

Edit: As of 6:30 PM ET tonight, still on.
zephead
2/7/10 4:54:24PM
14 in a row now. The refs did everything in their power to hand that game to the Pens. The slashing, boarding and interfering that the Pens get away with is incredible. That slashing call with 4 minutes to go on Shultz was beyond embarassing. The replay showed Shultz nor any Caps within 5 feet of Cooke when his stick broke.

Oh well, thems the breaks when you play the Golden Boy. Ovy and the Caps are working on all cylinders
DCRage
2/7/10 5:22:55PM
I think I kept jinxing them by tuning in early, I watched for the first 2 Pens goals and tuned in again at 3-1. I stop watching, they play much better. Typical. Sorry, Pens fans.
The_Metal_Maniac
2/8/10 12:06:55AM
Conspiracy theorists are funny. However as I recall the Capitals won the season series against the Pens last year. How did that turn out? O yea, the Pens winning the cup. I can not wait for the NHL playoffs aka the best event in all of sports.
zephead
2/8/10 1:03:08PM
Can't wait either
DCRage
3/12/10 7:32:26AM
1/3 of the way there-Atlanta loss last night means Caps are Southeast Division Champions. At least Bourdreau's keeping his eyes on the prize, this is nice but he's not getting carried away. He knows anything less than the Cup will be a disappointment, and I agree.
DCRage
3/23/10 2:36:29PM
GOALIE FIGHT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CALlGYrfg0E&feature=player_embedded
Form a USHL (minors) game Sunday. You could call this round 3 between the fighting goalies, it's their 3rd dance.
Boo_Radley21
3/23/10 10:53:33PM
Leblond and Janssen had a three minute fight that's epic. The comentators were saying it was more like a boxing round than a hockey fight.. Leblond a Devil and Janssen a former Devil..they know how to fight hahaa

Three Minute Fight
Hendo67
3/25/10 5:12:59PM

I hate the Habs...but Travis Moen is a warrior, 50+ stitches, almost loses his eye and misses ONE game...ONE game..
FlashyG
3/25/10 5:42:10PM
That was pretty gutsy by Moen, Its right up there with Brendan Witt suiting up on the same day he was hit by a car.

Story

New York Islanders defenceman Brendan Witt was hit by a car in Philadelphia on Tuesday, according to Newsday. But Witt reportedly picked himself up off the road and, after a few profanities, assured everyone he was all right before continuing on his way, prompting one witness to say, "it was like seeing Clint Eastwood, but in hockey." Witt was crossing Arch Street to get a cup of coffee when a gold Yukon truck made an illegal turn and hit the 34-year-old. Newsday says Witt tried to jump on the hood of the vehicle before being thrown to the ground as he was struck. "I'm okay," Witt told the crowd as he dusted himself off, according to Newsday. "I've got to go play some hockey. I'm a hockey player. I'm okay. No big deal."
king_katool
4/3/10 3:17:22PM
man a weeks ago i was soooo worried the wings would miss the playoffs for the first time in forever glad we got back into, playing the preds right now for 5, losing 2-1 but we still have 2 games on them,

dont care about the cup this year just our playoff record and we should be able to hold onto it
Pages: 1 [2]