Hockey Talk

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Hockey Talk
Next Page »
zephead
10/1/09 10:31:00PM
Started tonight. The Caps go to Boston and take down the B's. Ovy with 2 goals. The Canadians take down the Leafs. Thank God hockey has started
Rush
10/1/09 10:37:09PM

Posted by zephead

The Canadians take down the Leafs.

Boo! The X factor in that game was Toskala. The score didn't reflect it, but we were all over them for the whole game. It came down to poor goaltending by Toskala.

Other than that I thought the boys in blue looked pretty good tonight and I am more excited about this team than the one last season.
KaibaThedon
10/1/09 10:45:26PM
Woot we won 4-3 in OT!!

LOL Good ol cammy to start the rush and gorges to finish

yeahhh!
The_Metal_Maniac
10/1/09 11:14:16PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by zephead

The Canadians take down the Leafs.

Boo! The X factor in that game was Toskala. The score didn't reflect it, but we were all over them for the whole game. It came down to poor goaltending by Toskala.

Other than that I thought the boys in blue looked pretty good tonight and I am more excited about this team than the one last season.

At least this year Toronto didn't look like a bunch sissy's lol.
Wallass
10/2/09 1:40:47AM
Ive been a Leafs fan my whole life and the last couple years I knew deep down we wouldnt make the playoffs despite never being too far off, however this year looks good for the team and I think the additions of Kessel and Gustafson will prove to be effective in leading the team to the playoffs if nt only for an early exit.
DCRage
10/2/09 8:04:34AM
This Is The Year. I have a feeling the Cup is finally coming to DC...ROCK THE RED!
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/2/09 8:06:32AM
GOOOOOO HAAAAAAAABS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

TO THE TOP BABEEEY
The_Metal_Maniac
10/2/09 9:02:42AM
Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleurry, Letang, Kennedy, Talbot, and Gologoski one more year for all these guys who are under 25. Let the dynasty begin the cup will stay in Pittsburgh.
DCRage
10/2/09 9:41:22AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

TO THE TOP BABEEEY

They're off to a good start-Markov got cut last night by his own goalie's skate.
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/2/09 10:23:36AM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

TO THE TOP BABEEEY

They're off to a good start-Markov got cut last night by his own goalie's skate.

I know, i got mad at that last night, specially considering i'm not the biggest carey price fan... it'll probly turn out to be minor though...hoping
Rush
10/2/09 10:48:21AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

I know, i got mad at that last night, specially considering i'm not the biggest carey price fan... it'll probly turn out to be minor though...hoping

Price made the difference for your guys last night. He saw a lot of rubber and he kept you in the game.
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/2/09 12:11:47PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Price made the difference for your guys last night. He saw a lot of rubber and he kept you in the game.

I know he did, doesn't change the fact that i never was a big fan of the guy, he also cracked under pressure last year...wich is yes very understandable but still as I said, never was a big fan of his
DCRage
10/2/09 3:52:23PM
The Price was not right last night, word's in on Markov-sliced tendon. Out at least 4 months. Which also instantly kills the D position on my Fantasy team.
Edit: At least his likely replacement, Roman Hamrlik, was available, so I just swapped.
zephead
10/2/09 5:10:27PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by Rush

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

I know he did, doesn't change the fact that i never was a big fan of the guy, he also cracked under pressure last year...wich is yes very understandable but still as I said, never was a big fan of his

Given what happened with Roy, and then they way they just started dogging Price, who is very young, a change of place would benefit Price really good. Kid has a serious upside
DCRage
10/7/09 11:54:59AM
Speaking of Roy, his son Jonathan has pleaded guilty to assault charges over an on-ice beating during a March '08 game. He originally pleaded not guilty last year. No word on punishment but Jonathan Roy offered a $5000 check to charity. He faced either a $2000 (CDN) fine or up to 6 months in jail. If you don't know what happened, the original ESPN story:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3311529

Edit: He was given an absolute discharge by the judge, meaning he'll have no criminal record and can pursue a singing career in the US.
Hendo67
10/11/09 6:16:09PM

Posted by DCRage

Speaking of Roy, his son Jonathan has pleaded guilty to assault charges over an on-ice beating during a March '08 game. He originally pleaded not guilty last year. No word on punishment but Jonathan Roy offered a $5000 check to charity. He faced either a $2000 (CDN) fine or up to 6 months in jail. If you don't know what happened, the original ESPN story:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3311529

Edit: He was given an absolute discharge by the judge, meaning he'll have no criminal record and can pursue a singing career in the US.

The kid is an idiot, hopefully he gets his.

In the meantime, come back from 3-0 down with 8 mins left in the game last night, i approve.
BustedKnuckle
10/13/09 8:24:11PM
Pens are looking tight......I smell a repeat! Gino is playing very well.
DJDark41
10/14/09 9:45:20PM
G-G-G-G-G-G-Gaborik! This man is simply amazing. 6-1 start for the Rangers, not too shabby for a team that a lot of people looked down on coming into the season.
Hendo67
10/16/09 1:12:35PM
Gaborik is dynamite, honestly...I have him, when healthy ranked up there with the Ovechkins, Kovalchuks of snipers.
The_Metal_Maniac
10/29/09 1:58:36PM
The Penguins are off to a great stat, but unfortunately news just got pretty bad today. Now joining the likes of Gonchar, and Kennedy on the injured list is none other than Evgeni Malkin. Geno is out two to three weeks. This is not good.
zephead
10/29/09 3:31:11PM
Ovy picking up where he left off.

He has 2 in the 1st period. 13 on the year now
DJDark41
10/30/09 2:00:06PM

Posted by zephead

I watched the whole Caps/Thrashers game, and oh boy is Ovechkin good. I think this is the best I've ever seen him playing. Not only is his offense top notch, but he does all the little things too. Good positioning on defense, working hard down low and on the side boards. He reminds me a lot of Adam Graves when he scored 52 for the Rangers. Talented player, but goes to the tough areas of the ice as well, and Ovechkin has definitely added a bit of snarl to his game over the years.
Gogoplatapus
10/30/09 3:01:34PM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by zephead

I watched the whole Caps/Thrashers game, and oh boy is Ovechkin good. I think this is the best I've ever seen him playing. Not only is his offense top notch, but he does all the little things too. Good positioning on defense, working hard down low and on the side boards. He reminds me a lot of Adam Graves when he scored 52 for the Rangers. Talented player, but goes to the tough areas of the ice as well, and Ovechkin has definitely added a bit of snarl to his game over the years.

thanks I needed a good chuckle today.
The_Metal_Maniac
10/30/09 3:19:11PM
This hockey season so far has been quite interesting. Surprising teams such as Colorado and LA, on top of the injury bug that's bitten seemingly every team has made for what seems to be a promising season. I have been waiting for Anze Kopitar to break out in LA, as I collect hockey cards and own a lot of his lol.
DCRage
11/3/09 8:02:49AM

Posted by zephead

And now we have to go without him for a bit. "Week-to-week" with an "upper body strain", which likely means at least 3 games sans #8.
zephead
11/4/09 9:06:27AM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by zephead

And now we have to go without him for a bit. "Week-to-week" with an "upper body strain", which likely means at least 3 games sans #8.

Hitchcock (The Blue Jackets coach) came out and said they were going after Ovy. That's why McpHee (Caps GM) needs to go. Instead of having a tough guy or two (i.e. Brashears) he went with, "We'll make them pay of the PP". They go after Ovy, you go after Nash. Tit-for-tat. When a team goes after your superstar, you go after theirs.
DJDark41
11/4/09 2:07:50PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by DCRage

Posted by zephead

Hitchcock (The Blue Jackets coach) came out and said they were going after Ovy. That's why McpHee (Caps GM) needs to go. Instead of having a tough guy or two (i.e. Brashears) he went with, "We'll make them pay of the PP". They go after Ovy, you go after Nash. Tit-for-tat. When a team goes after your superstar, you go after theirs.

I'm not sure if Hitchcock meant it in a "we want to hurt him way." Although, Hitchcock did coach some pretty rough teams in Dallas and Philly, so you never know what kind of physical mentality he would bring in. Personally, that statement just means that they were gonna get in Ovy's face, not give him any room to do his thing, and shut him down. And honestly, if the Blue Jackets went out there with the intention of injuring Ovechkin, they did a VERY good job hiding it, because there are much more effective(and obvious)ways to injure a player. But, a scrum and an innocent collision+awkward fall? Not exactly my definition of "going after" someone. And I think the reason Nash wasn't gone after was due to the lack of toughness on the Caps. With the loss of Brashear, the Caps don't really have anyone tough. Sure, if you need someone to step up, there are guys like Chris Clark, Shaone Morrisonn, or even Mike Knuble. But if you look at that line-up, there isn't anyone who really stands out as a "tough guy." Which is why the Rangers got The Don. With the acquisition of Gaborik, we really needed a player who's sole role on the team was to keep everyone on the ice in line. With no such player on the roster for Washington, what is there to stop a player from taking a run at a guy like Ovechkin? Sure, there is the 2 minute penalty. Maybe 5 mins + game misconduct if its bad enough, how many teams are willing to take that risk to eliminate the greatest offensive threat on the other team? Its a terrible truth, but with the competitiveness of the league nowadays, teams will try to get an advantage however they can.
zephead
11/4/09 4:11:15PM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by zephead

Posted by DCRage

Posted by zephead

I'm not sure if Hitchcock meant it in a "we want to hurt him way." Although, Hitchcock did coach some pretty rough teams in Dallas and Philly, so you never know what kind of physical mentality he would bring in. Personally, that statement just means that they were gonna get in Ovy's face, not give him any room to do his thing, and shut him down. And honestly, if the Blue Jackets went out there with the intention of injuring Ovechkin, they did a VERY good job hiding it, because there are much more effective(and obvious)ways to injure a player. But, a scrum and an innocent collision+awkward fall? Not exactly my definition of "going after" someone. And I think the reason Nash wasn't gone after was due to the lack of toughness on the Caps. With the loss of Brashear, the Caps don't really have anyone tough. Sure, if you need someone to step up, there are guys like Chris Clark, Shaone Morrisonn, or even Mike Knuble. But if you look at that line-up, there isn't anyone who really stands out as a "tough guy." Which is why the Rangers got The Don. With the acquisition of Gaborik, we really needed a player who's sole role on the team was to keep everyone on the ice in line. With no such player on the roster for Washington, what is there to stop a player from taking a run at a guy like Ovechkin? Sure, there is the 2 minute penalty. Maybe 5 mins + game misconduct if its bad enough, how many teams are willing to take that risk to eliminate the greatest offensive threat on the other team? Its a terrible truth, but with the competitiveness of the league nowadays, teams will try to get an advantage however they can.

A team is not gonna come out and say that they intentionally hurt a player, but they went after him all night long let you know that they were after him. I was at the game, Ovy laid Chimera out with a clean hit, Chimera got mad and that's when the extra pushing and grapping started with Chimera and Boll.

This was Bruce's response after the game" "I think the game plan was, every time Alex touches the puck, that somebody run or hit him," Boudreau said. "That's what it looked like to me."

Here is Hitchcocks response the next day," "Run, chase, hunt down, hit, whatever word you want to use that would be correct," Hitchcock said.

Bruce said he thought they Blue Jackets were targeting Ovy, here's Hitchcocks response, " "That would be correct," Hitchcock said. "That's the name of the game. Why, is that against the rules now?"

My problem with the whole tghing is, Nash should have been destroyed. Plain and simple. Ovy rocks Chimera in the first period. In the 2nd period, when the injury happened, after the whistle, Chimera skated by a clipped Ovy. Ovy pushes Chimera back and Boll graps Ovy. Boll should have been on his ass after that. Morrisson (Shoane, a D- Man) asked Chimera to dance, Chimers turned him down. well Chimera never should have had a chance to turn him down, he should have been down.

I remember a game against Atlanta 3 years ago. Atlants was beating the Caps 4-1. There about a minuet left, Andy Sutton of the Thrashers headhunts Mike Green. No reason, you're up 4-1. a little scrum breaks out. Glen Hanlon who was coaching the Caps at the time, taps Brashears on the shoulder. The Donald waits for the to drop and then pummels Vitaly of the Thrashers. Vitaly is a not a fighter, he's a skilled D-Man for the Thrashers. Brashears breaks his nose, just hammers him. If Donald would have fought their toughguy, it does nothing. But hammering Vitaly is payback. The Caps have never had a problem with the Thrashers since then. That's how toughguys patrol the game. You go after ours, we go after yours.

The Caps play the Blue Jackets in April and I should see Nash get hammered. You have got to let the league know that you don't mess with our guys. Good clean hockey, cool. Dirty and late stuff, not cool. Remember how Avery cheapshotted Varly and Ovy when we played you all last year in the playoffs? Well, Donald smoked Blair Betts. That's how you get back. Now this year I hope that erskine just kills Avery. I hate saying this about players, but it wouldn't bother me if Avery never played again.
DCRage
11/5/09 11:30:38AM
This is what's become of hockey, it seems. It's bordering on football in terms of violent hits on star players. Speaking of which, this isn't NHL-related but there was perhaps another such situation in a minor league game last weekend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv0EpEiyqUs&feature=player_embedded
The player taking the hit is only 16. He's in serious but stable condition with head injuries and skull fractures, he was recently upgraded from critical condition. The controversial part is the penalty given to the player who delivered the hit, for which he got a boarding and match penalty-DONE. Suspended for the rest of the OHL season and playoffs-that's a minimum of 51 games.
Is the suspension warranted? Absolutely. But for the entire season? That seems to be what's lighting the fuse as well as the hit itself. Something does need to be done about these hits to the back and to the head. Granted, there aren't many places you can make a check that potentially can't cripple someone for life (maybe the arms) but there has to be something serious done about it now, not after this happens again.
The_Metal_Maniac
11/5/09 2:37:29PM

Posted by DCRage

This is what's become of hockey, it seems. It's bordering on football in terms of violent hits on star players. Speaking of which, this isn't NHL-related but there was perhaps another such situation in a minor league game last weekend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv0EpEiyqUs&feature=player_embedded
The player taking the hit is only 16. He's in serious but stable condition with head injuries and skull fractures, he was recently upgraded from critical condition. The controversial part is the penalty given to the player who delivered the hit, for which he got a boarding and match penalty-DONE. Suspended for the rest of the OHL season and playoffs-that's a minimum of 51 games.
Is the suspension warranted? Absolutely. But for the entire season? That seems to be what's lighting the fuse as well as the hit itself. Something does need to be done about these hits to the back and to the head. Granted, there aren't many places you can make a check that potentially can't cripple someone for life (maybe the arms) but there has to be something serious done about it now, not after this happens again.

That hit was atrocious and any suspension given to the player responsible is well deserved. As for Ovechkin, last year the very first Caps vs. Pens game every single time Malkin touched the puck Ovy took a run at him. He attempted to destroy him every time he touched the puck, charges, interference, everything. Bruce had nothing to say about that. If you're going to play like a moron you should expect repercussions eventually. I do not wish injury on any player, as he is very exciting, but learn to deal with it, if you deal it out.
Pages: [1] 2