Hockey Talk

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Hockey Talk
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Aaronno9
5/18/09 8:03:05PM

Posted by DJDark41

LETS GO CANES! If the Canes don't win one of the first two, no way they can win the series.

Looking good so far.

king_katool
5/18/09 8:11:26PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by DJDark41

LETS GO CANES! If the Canes don't win one of the first two, no way they can win the series.

Looking good so far.

i found the sarcasm between the lines
The_Metal_Maniac
5/18/09 10:37:57PM
The end of the game had my ass sweating. lol Go Pens!
zephead
5/20/09 6:10:55AM
The Hawks got hosed in that game
Aaronno9
5/21/09 11:06:33PM

Posted by DJDark41

I hope your right.
The_Metal_Maniac
5/26/09 11:36:21AM
Pens go for the sweep tonight! It looks like it's safe to say we will see a rematch of last years finals. Hopefully the Penguins can do better against the Red Wings this year.
DJDark41
5/26/09 2:41:42PM

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

Pens go for the sweep tonight! It looks like it's safe to say we will see a rematch of last years finals. Hopefully the Penguins can do better against the Red Wings this year.

I really can't see the Pens beating the Red Wings. The Penguins are about the same level(lost Hossa, but gained Guerin and Kunitz, which I guess is a plus), and the Red Wings have only gotten better(added Hossa). The only reason I think the Penguins will lose, is because the Red Wings have scoring beyond the top 2 or 3. The scoring on the Red Wings is so spread out, that you can't focus on stopping just the top two lines, you have to be worried about all four lines scoring. With the Penguins, you can stop the top two lines and not be in much danger of the other lines scoring.
The_Metal_Maniac
5/26/09 3:00:11PM

Posted by DJDark41

I really can't see the Pens beating the Red Wings. The Penguins are about the same level(lost Hossa, but gained Guerin and Kunitz, which I guess is a plus), and the Red Wings have only gotten better(added Hossa). The only reason I think the Penguins will lose, is because the Red Wings have scoring beyond the top 2 or 3. The scoring on the Red Wings is so spread out, that you can't focus on stopping just the top two lines, you have to be worried about all four lines scoring. With the Penguins, you can stop the top two lines and not be in much danger of the other lines scoring.

I agree it would be a difficult challenge for the Penguins to defeat the Red Wings, however I think it's quite possible. Three reasons, the Red Wings can't compete with the Penguins depth down the middle Crosby, Malkin, and Staal are without question as deep at center as you can get in the NHL. Second, last year I believe the penguins were star struck, enamored at the fact that they were playing the Detroit Red Wings for the cup. Not so much this year, we have been rolling through the playoffs like a grizzled experienced team. Third, no more Michelle Therian. Coach Dan Blysma has opened this team up. He's let Crosby and Malkin do what they were intended do. They no longer try and sit back in a defensive shell and counter attack, now they initiate. I also believe the Penguins are much more sound defensively and Fleurry now knows he belongs. I just hope for a great series, and I love the Penguins, that's why I listed all of those reasons. As hockey fans everyone should just hope for a good series.
DJDark41
5/26/09 7:21:54PM

I agree it would be a difficult challenge for the Penguins to defeat the Red Wings, however I think it's quite possible. Three reasons, the Red Wings can't compete with the Penguins depth down the middle Crosby, Malkin, and Staal are without question as deep at center as you can get in the NHL. Second, last year I believe the penguins were star struck, enamored at the fact that they were playing the Detroit Red Wings for the cup. Not so much this year, we have been rolling through the playoffs like a grizzled experienced team. Third, no more Michelle Therian. Coach Dan Blysma has opened this team up. He's let Crosby and Malkin do what they were intended do. They no longer try and sit back in a defensive shell and counter attack, now they initiate. I also believe the Penguins are much more sound defensively and Fleurry now knows he belongs. I just hope for a great series, and I love the Penguins, that's why I listed all of those reasons. As hockey fans everyone should just hope for a good series.

Yes, the Penguins have NEARLY unrivaled depth at center, but the Wings aren't far behind. The Red Wings top 4(Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Helm, Filppula) in face-off totals are all over 50%, along with Kris Draper having a 66.7%. However, one of the benefits of not changing a team drastically after a great run in the playoffs, is experience. The Penguins, as you said, may have been a little starstruck, but not so much this year. However, can you blame all of their losses on being "starstruck"? Absolutely not. Was it a factor? Most likely.

The one reason I see the Red Wings winning, is the coaching change. With a more aggressive forecheck and more free-wheeling, trying to get Sidney and Gino to work their magic, they are very vulnerable to a quick rush the other way, and with a fantastic team defense, the Red Wings counter-attack can do MAJOR damage. It should be a great series though, regardless.
zephead
5/26/09 8:33:40PM
It's all about the goaltending and Marc-Andrey has been horrible. A 2.71 Goals Against and a .902 SP. Osgood has a 2.14 GA and a .921 SP. That is where the series will be won and lost
The_Metal_Maniac
5/26/09 10:23:56PM

Posted by zephead

It's all about the goaltending and Marc-Andrey has been horrible. A 2.71 Goals Against and a .902 SP. Osgood has a 2.14 GA and a .921 SP. That is where the series will be won and lost

The numbers do Fleurry no justice, multiple defensive breakdowns amounted to quite a few of the goals. Hal Gill in particular. Fleurry carried us over Philly, changed the momentum with a save on Alex in gave 7 which ultimatley let us defeat the Caps, and now he sweeps the cane. Yea it helps having Sid and Malkin have almost 30 points a piece, but he's the back bone. Detroit is a great opponent I like them and most importantly I respect them. They handle their approach with respect to the game, and play the game it's meant to be. I look at this game as a passing of the torch. If it ends up being Detroit and the Wings, I'll take my chances with the Pens in 7. I will also do an av bet if anyone's interested.
king_katool
5/27/09 12:04:23AM

Posted by zephead

The numbers do Fleurry no justice, multiple defensive breakdowns amounted to quite a few of the goals. Hal Gill in particular. Fleurry carried us over Philly, changed the momentum with a save on Alex in gave 7 which ultimatley let us defeat the Caps, and now he sweeps the cane. Yea it helps having Sid and Malkin have almost 30 points a piece, but he's the back bone. Detroit is a great opponent I like them and most importantly I respect them. They handle their approach with respect to the game, and play the game it's meant to be. I look at this game as a passing of the torch. If it ends up being Detroit and the Wings, I'll take my chances with the Pens in 7. I will also do an av bet if anyone's interested.

i sir will take that without hesitation... ooo my first av bet, altho we still have to win a fourth game im pretty sure we're get past the hawks, and i cant wait to play the pens again should be a great series but one i think the wings can take no problem in 5-6 games, leaning more towards 5
The_Metal_Maniac
5/27/09 6:30:43AM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by zephead

i sir will take that without hesitation... ooo my first av bet, altho we still have to win a fourth game im pretty sure we're get past the hawks, and i cant wait to play the pens again should be a great series but one i think the wings can take no problem in 5-6 games, leaning more towards 5

Sounds good to me, loser will dawn the avatar for one month after the finals?
king_katool
6/1/09 12:16:18AM
1 month is good maniac, and now for the reason i come to post

TALBOT!!!!!!!!!!! WTF WAS THAT!!!!!!!!!!! i almost destroyed my tv after seeing the end of the game tonight, that was so uncalled for its unbelievable, to spear osgood like that and for what!!! it looked to me he was trying to push ozzie into the net for a goal but does he really think the refs wouldve allowed it, bumping the goalie fine, i get that, trying to throw him off, but to take your stick and put it to the goalies chest and drive him backwards!!! i definitely want to see a fine of a pretty good $ amount, regular season i would call for a suspension but right now i say let him play and watch his team lose upfront on the ice,

anyway on a good note 2-0 wings
zephead
6/1/09 6:56:14AM

Posted by king_katool

1 month is good maniac, and now for the reason i come to post

TALBOT!!!!!!!!!!! WTF WAS THAT!!!!!!!!!!! i almost destroyed my tv after seeing the end of the game tonight, that was so uncalled for its unbelievable, to spear osgood like that and for what!!! it looked to me he was trying to push ozzie into the net for a goal but does he really think the refs wouldve allowed it, bumping the goalie fine, i get that, trying to throw him off, but to take your stick and put it to the goalies chest and drive him backwards!!! i definitely want to see a fine of a pretty good $ amount, regular season i would call for a suspension but right now i say let him play and watch his team lose upfront on the ice,

anyway on a good note 2-0 wings

No suspension. No nothing. It's what the Pens do. Cheapshots.
The_Metal_Maniac
6/1/09 9:15:00AM
I am by all means an advocate of fair play, but the officiating in this series is atrocious. You guys can reference Talbot and suggest a suspension and I wouldn't argue if there was, but both teams are being robbed of power play chances on almost every shift. The liberties that are being allowed amaze me. Regardless of all this if the Pens can't figure out how to get through the neutral zone and have some type of sustained offensive presence this series will be over Tuesday. I have gained so much respect for Osgood and Lidstrom during this series. I think the Wings are a well greased, professional team that play as a single entity. The Penguins are going to need to play with every ounce of effort and hope for some luck to make this a series.
FlashyG
6/1/09 9:23:59AM
I actually thought the Pens played 2 great games and Detroit is lucky they aren't going back to Pittsburgh atleast with a split or even down 2-0.

I agree with you on the officiating though, its been a hallmark of this entire playoff run for the wings, one game they get ripped off the next it seems the refs bend over backwards for them. Apparently Interference in only a penalty in the first 2 rounds and the regular season.
DJDark41
6/1/09 6:45:02PM

Posted by FlashyG

I actually thought the Pens played 2 great games and Detroit is lucky they aren't going back to Pittsburgh atleast with a split or even down 2-0.

I agree with you on the officiating though, its been a hallmark of this entire playoff run for the wings, one game they get ripped off the next it seems the refs bend over backwards for them. Apparently Interference in only a penalty in the first 2 rounds and the regular season.

Did you watch the same games as I did? The Penguins could barely get any sustained offensive pressure, and when they did, the defense kept the shots to the outside and when that broke down, Ozzy was fantastic. The Penguins had no answer whatsoever to the Red Wings great backcheck, as well as the hard hitting forecheck. The Penguins are lucky that 2-0 is the most they can be down going back to Pittsburgh. Its not like they were blown out horribly, but Detroits game is on a whole different level, and to say that the Red Wings are LUCKY to be going into Pittsburgh up 2-0, is absolutely ludicrous.

As for the officiating, I thought its been very good. They are letting them play, but they are calling it when it needs to be called. I don't think the calls are favored one way or the other. But of course, there are calls that can be seen as biased, but as a non objective third party, I can say that if the refs called games this way all season, I would never have a problem with it.
urbman
6/1/09 8:20:42PM
The wings are playing well without having Datsyuk in their lineup who's a pretty good player in his own right.
DJDark41
6/1/09 8:43:45PM

Posted by urbman

The wings are playing well without having Datsyuk in their lineup who's a pretty good player in his own right.

And with all the other players on Detroit stepping up and scoring, Datsyuk can pretty much assume a total defensive role and function as a shutdown player against Crosby or Malkin.
FlashyG
6/1/09 9:30:40PM
I haven't missed many wings games in 2 years and I can't remember the last time they were outshot in 2 consecutive games.

I also don't think we can count on Helm, Abdelkader or Ericsson to be the driving offensive force to win the series, nor can we count on getting half our goals from behind the net.

Osgood had a great first 2 games but they still hit 3 or 4 posts and Zetterberg saved a goal off the line, and another of Ozzies back.(which could have been called a penalty shot)

Don't get me wrong, I'll take the 2 wins and the subs have filled in great, but why is it so crazy to think Pittsburgh probably should have gotten a split out of the first 2?
The_Metal_Maniac
6/1/09 9:54:44PM
I actually think the Penguins two biggest problems are Detroit's overall team speed and Blysmas lines. The Pens are having trouble with Detroit's aggressiveness and team speed. There back check, forececk, is stifling for the Pens. Then we are continuously having Hal Gill and Scuderis line behind the Crosby line. Which is ultimately hindering Sids game. They should get Gonchar out there to be more aggressive offensively, but at the same time you need Gill and Scuds out there with Sid to shut down Zetterberg. LOL ahhhhhhhh! Detroit is just too damn good. lol I'm going to go pray to the hockey Gods now lol.
The_Metal_Maniac
6/2/09 6:07:28PM
Well I've prayed to the hockey gods, it's two hours before game 3 let's see if my prayers are answered. GO PENNNNNNNNNS
zephead
6/2/09 9:10:49PM
It's official, NHL refs are the worse in sports. Pens skate with 6 skaters for atleast 15 seconds, the refs don't see it and then call Cleary for that weak ass hold. Pathetic
The_Metal_Maniac
6/2/09 10:45:42PM
Very exciting game. Series now 2-1, by no means am I getting ahead of myself as Mr.Selke himself comes back Thursday.
DJDark41
6/3/09 2:31:30PM
The officiating was absolutely atrocious. I like games where the refs let the players play, and don't call every little thing. But having 6 men on the ice for 20+ seconds is completely unacceptable. I could understand not calling a too many men penalty if it was just a line change or whatever, that happens. BUT SIX SKATERS MOVING AROUND, IN THE PLAY, IS 100% A PENALTY! How it does not get spotted is beyond me.
king_katool
6/3/09 4:35:12PM

Posted by DJDark41

The officiating was absolutely atrocious. I like games where the refs let the players play, and don't call every little thing. But having 6 men on the ice for 20+ seconds is completely unacceptable. I could understand not calling a too many men penalty if it was just a line change or whatever, that happens. BUT SIX SKATERS MOVING AROUND, IN THE PLAY, IS 100% A PENALTY! How it does not get spotted is beyond me.

excatly it wasnt a sloppy change all 6 guys were looking to play the puck, i was screaming at my tv for about 15 secs of the 6 on 5, the refs are soooo bad its a little funny sometimes, all in all it wasnt a bad game the pens deserved the win, the last penalty was going on all game so it was kinda weird i thought that they called it but w.e it is still a penalty,

cant wait for game 4, looking like dats will be back should be a huge boost morale wise and both on offensive and defense, our PK and PP, ill be happy if we head back to D with a 3-1 lead,
The_Metal_Maniac
6/3/09 5:49:05PM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by DJDark41

excatly it wasnt a sloppy change all 6 guys were looking to play the puck, i was screaming at my tv for about 15 secs of the 6 on 5, the refs are soooo bad its a little funny sometimes, all in all it wasnt a bad game the pens deserved the win, the last penalty was going on all game so it was kinda weird i thought that they called it but w.e it is still a penalty,

cant wait for game 4, looking like dats will be back should be a huge boost morale wise and both on offensive and defense, our PK and PP, ill be happy if we head back to D with a 3-1 lead,

The 6 on 5 was ridiculous how as a referee do you not notice that, of course I was glad they didn't get caught. How about Babcock and the rest of the Red Wings bench, they apparently did not notice either. None of the players nor the coaches were yelling at the refs to recognize the penalty, granted it's not their job, but just saying. Everyone one in Mellon arena must have been suffering from the same mass hallucination lol.
Hendo67
6/3/09 6:06:02PM
NHL wanting their poster team and their poster boy to win games...

Seriously though, that was bogus, haha.
king_katool
6/3/09 7:26:38PM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by DJDark41

The 6 on 5 was ridiculous how as a referee do you not notice that, of course I was glad they didn't get caught. How about Babcock and the rest of the Red Wings bench, they apparently did not notice either. None of the players nor the coaches were yelling at the refs to recognize the penalty, granted it's not their job, but just saying. Everyone one in Mellon arena must have been suffering from the same mass hallucination lol.

sorry i shouldve mentioned i was yelling at every1 for not noticing it LOL babock included, and lidstrom too, as a coach and a captain its kinda their job to argue things that dont get called IMO but they didnt see it so they couldnt go "hey ref WTF 6 on5?" o well, i still think the pens deserved the game and dont think the refs gave the game too the pens like alot of people do LOL, there is no NHL conspiracy to get the pens to win the cup, yes they are just that good....but Detroit is just that much better
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11