Hockey Talk

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Hockey Talk
« Previous Page | Next Page »
The_Metal_Maniac
4/4/09 11:46:13AM
I love hockey
Hendo67
4/5/09 4:17:01PM
Interesting, Boston could be facing The Rags in the first round this year, with Avery up to his antics again, this can be a good one.
I have a feeling Avery may lose some teeth if they meet in the 1st round.
cmill21
4/6/09 3:32:24PM
For as big of a douche as Avery is, man he gets some hot women.
zephead
4/6/09 3:59:11PM
Ovy just 2 points behind Malkin now.
cmill21
4/6/09 4:10:57PM

Posted by zephead

I really love Grapes, but Ovechkin needs to celebrate, I love watching him score simply because he looks like a damn kid. The game is supposed to be fun and he looks like he has a ton of it.

EDIT: To anyone who says hockey's a game about respect...you've never played, I can't remember half of the terrible things I've said/had said to me. Hockey is about destroying a guys confidence against your team and making everyone on the other team look stupid lol.
zephead
4/6/09 4:19:51PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by zephead

I really love Grapes, but Ovechkin needs to celebrate, I love watching him score simply because he looks like a damn kid. The game is supposed to be fun and he looks like he has a ton of it.

I wasn't a fan of his celebration in Tampa, but yes, I love his love of the game. He is having fun and is not showing up or disrespecting the other team. SOne player spoke up and says he doesn't like it, but forgets he's the one that drops to one knee and pumps his arm up and down. His teammate will jump into the glass and pump his arms up and down. Hell, Matthem Barnaby blew kises at the Caps bench in the playoffs after he score a goal. Didn't bother me, don't like it, stop him from scoring.
The_Metal_Maniac
4/6/09 9:42:11PM
I simply pray to to the hockey gods to let the Capitals get the Penguins in the first round. If the Pens do meet the Caps in the first round, Zephead you and I should do an avatar bet. The loser having to dawn the losing avatar until the end of the hockey playoffs. Let me know
Aaronno9
4/7/09 4:27:18AM

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

I simply pray to to the hockey gods to let the Capitals get the Penguins in the first round.

zephead
4/7/09 1:27:18PM

I simply pray to to the hockey gods to let the Capitals get the Penguins in the first round. If the Pens do meet the Caps in the first round, Zephead you and I should do an avatar bet. The loser having to dawn the losing avatar until the end of the hockey playoffs. Let me know

I'm all for it
The_Metal_Maniac
4/7/09 2:23:10PM

Posted by zephead

I'm all for it

Sounds good if our teams meet in the playoffs we will set it up. Looking forward to it good sir.
Shawn91111
4/7/09 6:17:44PM
This is a question from someone who doesnt watch hockey but looks at the stats and such which of course never tell the whole story, so im asking the people who could give me some insight.

Ive been reading the arguements of who is a greater player Crosby or Ovechkin and it had me wondering.

In their primes who was a better overall player Gretzky or Lemieux? Is it kind of like NBA talk who is better Lebron or Kobe where its a wash or is it not even really that close?
The_Metal_Maniac
4/7/09 6:47:35PM

Posted by Shawn91111

This is a question from someone who doesnt watch hockey but looks at the stats and such which of course never tell the whole story, so im asking the people who could give me some insight.

Ive been reading the arguements of who is a greater player Crosby or Ovechkin and it had me wondering.

In their primes who was a better overall player Gretzky or Lemieux? Is it kind of like NBA talk who is better Lebron or Kobe where its a wash or is it not even really that close?

It's Gretzky but the question can be answered with what ifs. If Lemieux wouldn't have missed half of his career you then probably couldn't split hairs. Acuscore or one of these statistical sites did a comparison of Lemieux's season averages and did mock season for him during his cancer years, and when his back went, and his numbers came out slightly above Wayne's. That's all fantasy though so it has to be Wayne, both to me are just ridiculous hockey players along with Bobby Orr.
DJDark41
4/7/09 7:42:02PM
I think Lemieux was a better player then Gretzky, but that is just a personal opinion. You could never pick one definitive player as the best of all time, because it is so close between the top handful of players.

Boston vs Rangers in the playoffs = a dream for me. Timmy Thomas could NOT keep his cool against Avery for 4 games and would take so many penalties. Especially after the antics that Avery pulled against Thomas a few days ago. It would definitely be an interesting series.

BTW - My favorite player, Marian Gaborik, scored his 10th goal of the season, in his 14th game. Currently has 15 points in 14 games... pretty good for someone who has had serious injury trouble this year.
The_Metal_Maniac
4/7/09 11:08:24PM
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
urbman
4/7/09 11:26:12PM
I think i'd vote for M.Lemiuex myself,and on another note flyers are officially in the playoffs now but their opponent is yet to be determined.
cmill21
4/8/09 1:10:37AM
I'd say Wayne. He made anyone he played with a fantastic player and was pretty much a perfect hockey player. I would also rate Bobby Orr above Mario.
zephead
4/8/09 5:44:09PM
I don't know how Mark Messier's name is left off that list. He is the only pro athlete to captian two different teams to a Championship. He had 1887 points, second to only Gretz, but he had over 1900 career PIMs. Just think if he didn't play his whole career with a edge what he would have done point wise.

Messier won 2 more Cups without Gretz, Wayne never won another Cup without Messier. Dude was a winner
DJDark41
4/8/09 9:20:28PM

Posted by zephead

I don't know how Mark Messier's name is left off that list. He is the only pro athlete to captian two different teams to a Championship. He had 1887 points, second to only Gretz, but he had over 1900 career PIMs. Just think if he didn't play his whole career with a edge what he would have done point wise.

Messier won 2 more Cups without Gretz, Wayne never won another Cup without Messier. Dude was a winner

As a Ranger fan, I can say that while he is my personal savior and will be forever loved in NYC, I don't think Messier can just easily be thrown in there with Gretz and Lemieux. Messier was, without a doubt in my mind, the best captain/leader in pro sports history. However, Gretzky and Lemieux were both better in terms of points, and the only area(aside from Cups)that Messier surpasses Gretzky in, is his use of his size. But you can try as hard as you want, but you cannot tell me there is another player out there who scored bigger goals then Messier(except maybe Stephane Matteau...)
zephead
4/9/09 4:03:09PM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by zephead

As a Ranger fan, I can say that while he is my personal savior and will be forever loved in NYC, I don't think Messier can just easily be thrown in there with Gretz and Lemieux. Messier was, without a doubt in my mind, the best captain/leader in pro sports history. However, Gretzky and Lemieux were both better in terms of points, and the only area(aside from Cups)that Messier surpasses Gretzky in, is his use of his size. But you can try as hard as you want, but you cannot tell me there is another player out there who scored bigger goals then Messier(except maybe Stephane Matteau...)

Mario didn't outscore Messier. Messier is the 2nd leading scorer in NHL history. What made Messier so special to me was, he wasn't a oneway player. He did it all. Amassing over 1900 PIMs and still scoring the way he did, is remarkable. To me, Messier was th ultimate hockey player, he did whatever it took to win. He sacrificed his body.
The_Metal_Maniac
4/9/09 5:45:17PM
Lemieux played something on the lines of 900 career games out of 1400. Look at his numbers, his body of work, his 199 point and 160 point season where he was injured a lot. If he had been healthy him and Wayne would have been 1 and 1A. It's a shame his career was detoured mostly by sickness and injury but with what he had to work with he merits an unmeasurable second.
The_Metal_Maniac
4/28/09 11:11:41PM

Posted by zephead

I'm all for it

Looks like we are on!

GO PENS
DCRage
4/29/09 5:18:10AM
Be ready when you come to The V because we are gonna ROCK THE RED! I am so looking forward to this matchup as always.
zephead
4/30/09 2:58:55PM

Posted by zephead

I'm all for it

Looks like we are on!

GO PENS

Game Time BABBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
king_katool
4/30/09 3:30:08PM
LETS GO RED WINGS
DJDark41
4/30/09 5:21:17PM

Posted by king_katool

LETS GO RED WINGS

QFT. Although I thought the Rangers could beat the Caps, I wasn't really confident that they could go all the way to the Finals. We could have beaten any team in the Eastern bracket in a handful of games, but in the end, I have a feeling it would've all turned out the same. Rangers losing or 6/7 games.

But in the end, it will be the same as last year, because the Red Wings will win it all again. I could definitely see Pittsburgh making it to the finals again too, especially with all of the players who need to step up doing so.
zephead
4/30/09 6:31:00PM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by king_katool

LETS GO RED WINGS

QFT. Although I thought the Rangers could beat the Caps, I wasn't really confident that they could go all the way to the Finals. We could have beaten any team in the Eastern bracket in a handful of games, but in the end, I have a feeling it would've all turned out the same. Rangers losing or 6/7 games.

But in the end, it will be the same as last year, because the Red Wings will win it all again. I could definitely see Pittsburgh making it to the finals again too, especially with all of the players who need to step up doing so.

The series with the Caps ahould have ended 4 game to 2. Jose killed the Caps in game 1. Henrik stole game 2, a 1-0 Rangers win. Varly gave up 7 goals in 6 games. Jose gave up 4 in one. If the Bruins can stay healthy, I they beat the Wings
The_Metal_Maniac
4/30/09 6:39:45PM
Every series that has happened so far has been entertaining, even the sweeps. Each league is so competitive nowadays. The youth movement is hockey is at it's best and competition and entertainment should be at a high level for many years now. Out of all pro sports playoff hockey is bar none my favorite. I live and die with the Penguins, but good hockey is good hockey and I can respect every team in the playoffs.
Aaronno9
4/30/09 10:03:13PM
Red Wings fans remind my of Manchester United fans in football (or soccer, if you prefer). Its just like, support you local team man! Obviously im not supporting my local team, I wouldnt even like to guess how far away I live from Pittsburgh, but as the U.K has no NHL teams, and they where the first team I ever watched and where in the bottom 5 in the league at the time, so I dont feel to bad. But people who live in totally differant states to Detriot, or whatever.... Just follow your team, and shut up about the pens.

War Geno!
DJDark41
5/1/09 2:48:52PM

Posted by Aaronno9
But people who live in totally differant states to Detriot, or whatever.... Just follow your team, and shut up about the pens.

War Geno!

I never understood why people make such a big deal about people liking teams and not living there. I live on Long Island, about 30 minutes away from where the New York Islanders live, but I'm a few hours from the Rangers home arena, yet I'm a Rangers fan. However, my first memories of hockey are of the Detroit Red Wings playing on ESPN, so I've always liked them.

And all the Pens bashing comes from a general distaste in the hockey community for Gino's dirty-ness, and Crosby amazing ability to cry about everything. Not to mention, Marc-Andre Fleury's ballerina twirls are FANTASTIC!
king_katool
5/1/09 3:24:00PM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by Aaronno9
But people who live in totally differant states to Detriot, or whatever.... Just follow your team, and shut up about the pens.

War Geno!

I never understood why people make such a big deal about people liking teams and not living there. I live on Long Island, about 30 minutes away from where the New York Islanders live, but I'm a few hours from the Rangers home arena, yet I'm a Rangers fan. However, my first memories of hockey are of the Detroit Red Wings playing on ESPN, so I've always liked them.

i contribute me being a Wings fan to my competitiveness, i used to be a leafs fan at like 6,7 yeards old, but well watching the leafs my dad and all his friends would be going for them, so i started to cheer against them no matter who they played and develop a hatred for them, and was now looking for a new team to cheer for, my parents put in Pee Wee hockey and was picked to play for the team that used the Red Wings jerseys and name, and ever since ive been a die hard wings fan, i maintain the believe Steve Yzerman was just as good as any1
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11