Hockey Talk

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Hockey Talk
« Previous Page | Next Page »
The_Metal_Maniac
12/4/08 10:42:31AM

Posted by DCRage

The NHL needs to promote the life out of him to liven up the game. He is the NHL's Dennis Rodman, a colorful guy who can perhaps lure in the fan who wants to see more colorful characters who aren't afraid to challenge authority. I remember when Rodman started doing his "I'm Dennis Rodman" schtick years ago, it made the SI cover and I think got the league some more publicity. This is the kind of thing the NHL could use.

That would be an unsuccessful promotion. The NHL should focus on promoting their stars. They shouldn't focus on a guy who is below mediocre at best, and simply gets attention for his ridiculous actions.
DJDark41
12/4/08 2:48:53PM

Posted by Rush

I wish teams would just not put Avery on their rosters. He this guy gone one season without being an unecessary idiot? And people complained about Tucker. Sheesh!

Yeah, I'm a huge Ranger fan, and as soon as I heard we were getting Avery, I was instantly appauled. He's such a a**hole, and if he would just shut his damn mouth and play the game he'd be so much better. But, he's a little b*tch, and the only reason he fights anyone is when he gets himself into deep water(IE the Tucker/Blake incident, where he made a cancer joke at Blake, and Tucker went over and smacked him around, which he deserved). That was really what made me a NOT Sean Avery fan.

Posted by DCRage

The NHL needs to promote the life out of him to liven up the game. He is the NHL's Dennis Rodman, a colorful guy who can perhaps lure in the fan who wants to see more colorful characters who aren't afraid to challenge authority. I remember when Rodman started doing his "I'm Dennis Rodman" schtick years ago, it made the SI cover and I think got the league some more publicity. This is the kind of thing the NHL could use.

No, its in fact the exact opposite. I would much rather maintain the audience we have who watch hockey for the skill, talent and excitement, and occasionally the rough n' tumble, then get these guys who want pro wrestling on the ice with stupid f*cking storylines and plots. ITS HOCKEY. And what Avery did is absolutely pathetic. It wasn't even like he was overheard making a joke privately to a teammate or something. He got all the cameras around him, then made the comment directly to them. Avery gets an epic fail for that. If he was trying to rally his team, it didn't work, cause they are 0-2 since he got suspended.
Boo_Radley21
12/4/08 4:34:36PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i don't understand why Avery got in so much trouble for what he said. i laughed tbh.

You can't say that shit on tv lol. As soon as I saw the flames were playing the stars I said "Avery's going to talk shit to Phaneuf and get killed", next thing I know he calls he sloppy seconds on tv, he acctually requested the camera to make sure it gets on tv. The worst things in the world are said on the ice, I asked a guy (who I used to be team mates with) where his dad was(his dad left years ago), we won the game and he didn't score so the job was done, but if you say it off the ice it becomes trying to attack someone for no reason other then your a dick. Also had Avery played he would have gotten killed and there would be more back lash.

You said that to a guy?
DCRage
12/5/08 11:20:42AM
Avery got 6 games, retroactive to Tuesday. This means he has to sit out 4 more games.
DJDark41
12/5/08 2:55:53PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by cmill21

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i don't understand why Avery got in so much trouble for what he said. i laughed tbh.

You can't say that shit on tv lol. As soon as I saw the flames were playing the stars I said "Avery's going to talk shit to Phaneuf and get killed", next thing I know he calls he sloppy seconds on tv, he acctually requested the camera to make sure it gets on tv. The worst things in the world are said on the ice, I asked a guy (who I used to be team mates with) where his dad was(his dad left years ago), we won the game and he didn't score so the job was done, but if you say it off the ice it becomes trying to attack someone for no reason other then your a dick. Also had Avery played he would have gotten killed and there would be more back lash.

You said that to a guy?

Sh*t happens on the rink. 99% of the time its not supposed to be a hateful or spite-driven thing, your just trying to mess with the person and throw them off their game. Me being more of a heart/determination then a skill player, I do whatever it takes to get under peoples skin and mess with them, including my friends. The one place I never go though is family/loved ones, just because when people do it to me, I get pissed and can't stand it. But sometimes in the heat of battle things get said without being thought through completely.
zephead
12/15/08 6:51:13PM
The Caps looking real good. Beat Boston, the Sens and Montreal in a 4 night span. They have suited up 33 players this year so far. That's the most in the NHL. They had to bring Varalmov up in goal, he has 10 games of expeirence in the AHL. Stops 31 of 32 shots in beating The Habs in Montreal. Liking what I'm seeing from the younguns
urbman
12/16/08 7:50:34PM
Caps would probably be playing even better if they could keep Semin healthy for awhile..
Boo_Radley21
12/18/08 11:52:48AM
Woooooo! Sorry 40oz the devils have passed the Pens in the Eastern Conference...and they don't have Brodeur.
DJDark41
12/18/08 7:45:21PM
Rangers get a few solid wins in a row, good spread out offense, solid defense and fantastic goaltending. The real test will be the San Jose Sharks on Saturday. Potential Stanley Cup Finals? Maybe. Nabokov, Thornton, Marleau, Cheechoo, Setoguchi, Boyle and Blake is quite a line-up. I'm hoping the Rangers can compete, it will be a real measuring-stick type game.
The_Metal_Maniac
12/18/08 10:11:22PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Woooooo! Sorry 40oz the devils have passed the Pens in the Eastern Conference...and they don't have Brodeur.

40oz is forum banned so I will respond for him. The Penguins were also without their top goaltender for the last month. Fleurry came back tonight and looked great. We are also missing Gonchar, and Whitney whom are our two top defensemen. We are missing Tyler Kennedy who was emerging as a legit offensive threat. Hal Gil and Talbot have been plagued with injuries as well two of our top penalty killers. When it's all said and done there is no doubt about it we will represent the eastern conference in the Stanley Cup finals.
zephead
12/19/08 11:23:42AM
To date the Caps have lost 154 man games to injury. The most in the NHL. There are currently 3rd in points. Once evreyone gets back they should make a big run. We still have 2 D-men down, Clark, Federov and now Semin again.(got crossed checked from behind last night) Varlamov (a rookie) has looked great in the 2 games that he has had to play (He only had 10 games of AHL experience before we had to call him up. 20 years old and lloks great)
zephead
12/19/08 1:55:00PM
What a punk move from Crosby. What was trying to do, Junk punch him? What little respect I have for him is gone now. Punching a man when he's already fighting someone else.

Youtubery
DJDark41
12/19/08 7:19:21PM

Posted by zephead

What a punk move from Crosby. What was trying to do, Junk punch him? What little respect I have for him is gone now. Punching a man when he's already fighting someone else.

Youtubery

Crosby is real tough when he has a teammate on top of the guys head, and the guy is completely defenseless. I would make a joke about Crosby and the inherit hilarity of how/where he punched the guy, but I feel like its better left unsaid.
Aaronno9
12/19/08 9:06:35PM
Haha. War Crosby!!!

Nice to see Marc back between the sticks on thursday, looks like he played awesome to.
nastshabast
12/20/08 2:06:09AM
I think we should start a world junior thread. Canada looks sick. Boychuck, Eberle and Hodgson... that's line 2 !!!!

Also Sweden's backup goalie LOL
urbman
12/20/08 9:24:33PM
The flyers are playing well as of late,but I still worry about their goaltending.
Aaronno9
12/21/08 12:19:28AM
Shocked to see the pens and caps both conceding 7 tonight. Its started to get on my nerves that we have the 2 top point scorers in the league but where struggling to put together two wins
zephead
12/24/08 10:35:26AM
The Caps injuries are starting to be a joke. We have dressed 34 players this year so far. We have lost 160 man games. Even though we came back from a 4-0 deficit and beat the Rangers 5-4 in OT at MSG, if the injuries continue it will catch up to us.
urbman
12/26/08 12:29:19AM
Caps have been missing Green or Semin, and others as well at different times this season,plus their goaltending has been suspect too.Its all about consistency and not to many teams are showing that every time they hit the ice so far this season.
GrandMaster313
12/26/08 10:53:40PM
WAR WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff said...
zephead
12/27/08 7:52:40AM
WAR CAPS!!!! Icing 7 AHLers all season and have the 4th best record in hockey. Won again last night. 4 AHL D-Men plus Semin and Federov missing again. We finally have depth.
cmill21
12/27/08 3:34:41PM
Hey how are the blackhawks doing, I haven't heard anything lately but I have this feeling they might be doing alright...
Wolfenstein
12/27/08 4:22:36PM
Not a big hockey fan, but if anyone hasn't seen John Tavares' goal against Sweden a few nights ago, man it was mazing, check it out...

link
zephead
12/28/08 11:35:57PM
Ovy has now tied Crosby for second in the league for scoring. He should be passing Malkin in 2 weeks.

Caps are looking real good. They are also 2 in the Eastern Conference now
Hendo67
12/28/08 11:59:59PM
War Bruins, got so much more B's stuff to add to the collection now.
EvenFlow
12/29/08 4:41:49AM
All you stank nastys just dont understand that Detroit rules all and will win 10 stanley cups in a row!!!

j/k

But seriously the Sharks and Bruins are lookin' just as good, look for all three of these teams to make it in deep this year, with Detroit winning of corse.

And the Blackhawks are finally good...it only took a decade the next disappointing team that needs revival is Toronto

:
zephead
1/3/09 7:49:02PM

Crosby at it again. This time he jumps someone at the faceoff and kept his visor on

LINK
zephead
1/3/09 9:41:24PM
Ovy ties Carter for the league lead in goals. Picked up a shorty tonight as the Caps win. 26-11-3 are the Caps.
cmill21
1/4/09 7:42:48AM

Posted by zephead

Crosby at it again. This time he jumps someone at the faceoff and kept his visor on

LINK

Well Ovy's hammer fists weren't anything to write home about lol.
zephead
1/4/09 9:22:09AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by zephead

LINK

Well Ovy's hammer fists weren't anything to write home about lol.

That was Semin. At least he fought the guy straight up
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11