The Hobbit?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The Hobbit?
TeamDEY
12/20/12 2:31:22AM
Still haven't seen the Hobbit yet... just wondering if you guys have and if it is worth seeing?
Twenty20Dollars
12/20/12 3:35:01AM
Reviews on it seem just okay. Haven't seen it, though.
mrsmiley
12/20/12 4:21:56AM
Haven't seen it yet though one of my brothers did.
We are all big LOTR fans so it was pretty disheartening to hear his over the phone review.
He told me their is quiet a bit to like about this movie but for him, it was simply the fact the film was much too long.
He didn't realize this was going to be a new trilogy and expected the whole story to be wrapped up in one movie. So if you know the story and know anything that happens,the you guessed it,the big finally doesn't even take place. Just saying.

He also told me Gandalf's character he thought was real inconsistant from that of the Rings trilogy. Simply put,he told me the Wizard pulls off so much awesome magic in the movie it damn near makes Gandalf the white look like the grey.

I still want to see it but from all i've heard it seems like this would have been much better as one stand alone film (like the book) instead of attempting to turn it into a whole new trilogy.
SpiderSilva
12/20/12 5:33:45AM
I loved it!
Wizards
Goblins
Orcs
Hobbits
Trolls
Dragons
Mountains throwing shit
Elvis< spell check
Dog/hyena hybrid things
Ring wraiths things
Gollum
And the ring of power!!!!

Also GIANT EAGLES

Was pretty good imo
airkerma
12/20/12 9:58:36AM
Didn't they basically rape the plot and fill it with excessive embellishment? I've grown to understand that books to movies are rarely consistent and even children's books (like this one) can be dragged into full length movies, but three parts? I'm all for badassery but I'm also opposed to what is essentially revisionist history at the hands of money grubbing Holleywood execs. It takes practically 50 pages from the introduction to where Bilbo evades shmeags and takes the ring, and a lot of it is goofy descriptions and dialogue and about a million songs. I asked myself how it was possible to turn this into a full movie, but then again, they managed to turn Dr. Seus picture books into full length movies...
Poor_Franklin
12/20/12 2:01:20PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Haven't seen it yet though one of my brothers did.
We are all big LOTR fans so it was pretty disheartening to hear his over the phone review.
He told me their is quiet a bit to like about this movie but for him, it was simply the fact the film was much too long.
He didn't realize this was going to be a new trilogy and expected the whole story to be wrapped up in one movie. So if you know the story and know anything that happens,the you guessed it,the big finally doesn't even take place. Just saying.

He also told me Gandalf's character he thought was real inconsistant from that of the Rings trilogy. Simply put,he told me the Wizard pulls off so much awesome magic in the movie it damn near makes Gandalf the white look like the grey.

I still want to see it but from all i've heard it seems like this would have been much better as one stand alone film (like the book) instead of attempting to turn it into a whole new trilogy.

this is consistent w/ most reviews i've heard from LOTR fans. i'll catch it on dvd.
hashyandy4
12/20/12 2:38:20PM
I saw the midnight showing, and i thought it was awesome!! Every bit as good as the LOTR movies. If u were thinkin about seeing it, do it!!
Chael_Sonnen
12/20/12 3:35:12PM
Saw it in Vegas the other night......

Chael's condensed review(s) - -

Butter spread over too much bread, Bilbo might say.....The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has finally arrived, not on wings of gossamer fancy but with a hairy-footed thud.

Next time, I'll just pop in my Blu-ray of Game of Thrones....
prozacnation1978
12/20/12 5:43:41PM
Saw 3d Imax

One of the best 3d movies ever
Movie was good but probably a notch or two below the
Lord of the ring movies
Franklinfan47
12/22/12 1:55:48PM
I'd give it an 8/10.

Pros: Great digital effects, character development, all the acting is on par with LOTR. I like how it is sequenced too. One of the first scenes is Smaug taking the lonely mountain. BADASS

Cons: Because they are stretching 3 movies out of one book, it is very slow getting in and some parts dragged. Also, this one is much more PG then the others, has more of a kids movie feel to it. But the hobbit book also had that feel as well.
Chael_Sonnen
12/22/12 6:23:21PM
Initially going in, I thought 'The Hobbit' was going to be about GSP....but after the first scene, I remembered this "film" was based on teh children's best-selling book.
Svartorm
12/23/12 5:51:19PM
I thought it was good, although I didn't realize it was a trilogy either. The decision to do so makes sense, just because it would have been too much jumbled action for one movie, so they filled out the plot from other Tolkien works to make it a three part film.

Slow start, but plenty of action and they do a good job all things considered. If you like the LOTR series, it's a no brainer you'll like this.
mrsmiley
12/24/12 3:36:22PM
Speaking of this movie,did anyone see it at 48fps?
kopower
12/30/12 9:15:44PM
Saw it in 3d today. It was awesome. I'd agree with the 8/10 rating. I didn't feel it dragged at all. In the beginning, to midway through, the story was just building. There are tons of fight scenes, and the special effects were through the roof. I definitely recommend seeing it in 3d. It doesn't follow the book to a T, which is a good thing. It seems they added a few other story lines from different Tolkien stories, which just adds to the action. I can't wait for the other two now