Hitting Mitts

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Hitting Mitts
haynesr07
6/25/10 10:26:14PM
So my cousin and I recently started training/working out. but I am wondering, when we do the mitts, what is the numbers for high kick and elbows or knees? i'm curious, i've googled it but nothing has came up.. a little help would be awesome
Rush
6/25/10 10:33:51PM
At the Muay Thai place that I trained (Adrenaline MMA, owned by a number of Canadian MMA fighters) the numbers were

1 - Jab
2 - jab, cross
3 - Jab, cross, hook
4 - Jab, cross, hook, cross

Then, we would work on individual techniques like kicks, uppercuts, etc. in combination with the basic numbers.

For example, if we were doing body kicks a # 3 would be

Jab, cross, hook, body kick

I hope this helps as I do not know if there are more advanced numbered combos. I didn't do that much.
haynesr07
6/25/10 10:55:22PM

Posted by Rush

At the Muay Thai place that I trained (Adrenaline MMA, owned by a number of Canadian MMA fighters) the numbers were

1 - Jab
2 - jab, cross
3 - Jab, cross, hook

Then, we would work on individual techniques like kicks, uppercuts, etc. in combination with the basic numbers.

I hope this helps as I do not know if there are more advanced numbered combos. I didn't do that much.

well we do it like
1 - jab
2 - cross
3 - left hook
4 - overhand/right hook

i think your way would be easier personally, but then again my cousin is much more experienced than myself.
Taylor8766
6/28/10 6:10:06PM
Everyone has there own numbers for hitting mitts the way we do it is:

1- Jab
2- Jab, Cross
3- Jab Cross Hook
4-Jab Cross Hook Cross

and if you were adding kicks it would be for when you throw a 1 or 3 you would use a swing kick to the body which is your right leg if right handed and left leg if you left handed. and vice-versa for 2 and 4.
Jackelope
6/28/10 8:31:44PM
For the main style punches/kicks-

1- Jab
2- Cross
3- Lead Hook

9- Kick with lead leg
10- Kick with power leg

What's important isn't the numbers themselves, though. It's the communication between trainer and fighter. You could change every single number and as long as you can rattle it off with their understanding and subsequent execution in tact then you're good to go.

Also, just FYI- Feel free to mix in upper cuts/overhands/elbows/knees whatever you want in those numbers between 3 and 9. That's just the way we operated at my gym.

You would say to your fighter- 1, 2, 3, 10 If you wanted him to do a jab, cross, lead hook, followed by a kick.
haynesr07
6/29/10 9:15:13PM

Posted by haynesr07

Posted by Rush

1 - Jab
2 - jab, cross
3 - Jab, cross, hook

well we do it like
1 - jab
2 - cross
3 - left hook
4 - overhand/right hook

i think your way would be easier personally, but then again my cousin is much more experienced than myself.

thanks guys.
Pookie
6/30/10 1:56:49AM
Oh, and make sure to circle between combinations
Jackelope
6/30/10 2:06:09AM

Posted by Pookie

Oh, and make sure to circle between combinations

LOL, that's opening a whole can of worms that I'm not even going to get into the footwork aspect of hitting focus mitts with these backyard trainers

It's my personal belief that hitting mitts with someone who is unfamiliar with boxing and kickboxing techniques and isn't trained properly on how to instruct with them is hugely counter productive to learning how to actually fight.

Pookie is absolutely right that you should use movement but at the same time if you're using bad movement you could develop some really nasty habits that are incredibly hard to shake.
bjj1605
6/30/10 2:57:57AM
Rather than worrying so much about the numbers, just plan out ahead of time the combinations you are going to throw. Like everyone has said the basic combination numbers are:

1-Jab
2-Jab Cross
3- Jab Cross L HOOK
4-Jab Cross LHOOK Cross

Then you can add a kick at the end of each. For instance, right mid kick after 1 and 3 and switch mid kick after 2 and 4.

But any combination you decide on can have any number you choose. Say you decide to work 2 combos. First: Lead Cross, Left Body Hook, Right Low kick. Call it 1. You also decide to work: Foot Jab, Rear Knee, LUPPER CUT. Call it 2. When you want him to throw the first one say 1, the second say 2. You can do it for any combo and any number of different combinations depending on how good his memory is and how advanced his technique.

Honestly though you should be working with a qualified instructor (as Jackelope stated) that would prevent you from having to come on here and ask this sort of question.
Pookie
6/30/10 3:13:40AM
Thats true, but at the same time... if you're honing bad footwork, its still probably better than not having practiced any footwork at all.
________
My advice: Practice rolling forward on your feet, heel to toe, before punches. It helps your burst forward and as well hopping out of range, since you end up on your toes.
Jackelope
6/30/10 4:39:52AM

Posted by Pookie

Thats true, but at the same time... if you're honing bad footwork, its still probably better than not having practiced any footwork at all.

That's sort of true but it can be sort of false as well. I mean if the dude is getting his feet crossed up and/or is learning how to Arlovski with his footwork it could easily hurt him just as bad as standing still.

There was a dude who came to train at my gym for a bit that had a nasty habit of crossing his feet. Guy had all the heart in the world but the problem was he had too many chances to prove he had all the heart in the world if you know what I'm saying haha