Hip Strength

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Hip Strength
Pitbull09
5/22/08 12:46:24AM
I usually devote most of my work out to weights but try to end it with a little cardio stuff to strengthen muscles that could trier easily during a fight with just weight training. All of it is pretty lame and prob isnt helping but I guess thats why I'm on here.
Anyways, I noticed on the ground, when some guys get mounted they have incredible hip strength to push the guy off and sprawl out. I think this would be crucial in ground defense and the guys who cant do it eat fists until the ref steps it (sadly joe lauzon)
So what Im wondering is if there are any workouts to specifically focus on this area. I have all the time in the world so any workout could help me out.

Thanks
Svartorm
5/22/08 1:06:09AM
I'm confused by the terms you're using. Do you mean bucking someone from mount, or shrimping out of mount?

I'm not even sure your "hips" have functional muscles, as it would seem its mostly your back, glutes and thighs doing most of the work in those situations. Then again I know shit-all about weight training, so I could be totally wrong here.
Pitbull09
5/22/08 1:16:44AM
I'm sorry, I was referring to bucking out of the mount. Idk what is even used to doing that so I said hips lol. That shows how much help I need for this issue. Im would think there must be some training for that other than sparring but I could be wrong
Svartorm
5/22/08 1:37:17AM
Don't worry about it, I just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

I just put my kettlebell on my hips and started moving around, and it feels like its a motion that mostly involves the lower back, glutes and hamstrings. Basically anything having to do with lower body and core strength would seem to help with bucking an opponent, and being as its a move primarily found in wrestling, I'm sure someone from that background would have some decent excercises for it.

As for bucking in grappling, if the person in mount is doing it right, its very hard to buck someone in the style you're speaking of though, which is why Ken-flo had Lauzon mounted so well. Bucking works fantastically if your opponent is sitting on your hips, but if they know the mount game and remain an inch or two above you, it gives them the time to readjust before they're actually bucked off. If your quick about it and set it up, you can still use a buck and shrimp, or buck explosively while controlling the upper body to remove them, but I'm not sure how beneficial training a bucking manuever would be. I think you'd be better served learning other mount escapes.
Rush
5/22/08 12:12:42PM
As Svar said, it is very hard to buck someone off if they know what they are doing.

Your hips are naturally strong, very strong. If you want to know how strong they are, grab a Swiss (yoga) ball and hold it to the front of your body then just walk at a normal speed into the wall. You'll be shocked at how much energy is stored just in your walking.

IMO, most people don't have a problem with hip strength, their problem is not knowing how to properly move using their core. I've been doing grappling arts for over a decade now and it wasn't until I started doing aikido and yoga that I started learning how to move with my hips. It is something that I cannot teach you over the net, but I can give you a pointer.

When you move though your hips make sure that when you turn or rotate, you rotate your whole body. Many people just rotate with their upper body and their core is more or less stationary (I see this a lot in MMA), which in turn requires a lot more strength to pull off. Do what Svar suggested and make sure one of his sides is well trapped. (i.e. so he cannot balance himself easily once you break his balance) then try to escape using/turning your body as a whole, not just bucking your hips.

One other tip I can give you for practice is find a partner and just working on moving their (more or less) dead weight. Exaggerate your movements. That is, try moving him with a bad movement (i.e. just your upper body with stationary core), then try to correct yourself by focusing on using and turning your whole body with the core. This can be applied to take downs as well as escapes.

An exercise you can do, is the first part of a Turkish get-up. I do these with my kettlebell, but you can also use a dumbbell too. Lie flat on your back, extend one arm (with the weight) over your chest. Just like you did a one arm bench press. Now explode up into a partial seated position and stabilize yourself with the free hand. You can do versions with lighter weight where you do not bend your knees or heavier sets where you bend your knees to take pressure off your back. Be careful not to throw your shoulder out. Doing this exercise and being mindful will help you determine which position each part of your body needs to be in and move in order to have an optimal movement. If you cannot decipher what I mean in the description, here is a video. Turkish get up

My description is just the first part, but you can do the whole exercise if you want.