Any hints on taking swelling down?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Any hints on taking swelling down?
SmileR
2/6/08 9:10:47PM
Any help would be great guys!
I'v been boxing since I was about 12/13 but in the last year I've got into judo and tonight i had my first BJJ class.

I'm used to bruises and scrapes but I'v got a massive bruise on my left shoulder and top of the arm where i got threw off the mat. Its about 8 inches long now and only a few hours old!!!

I could really do with any tips as valentines day is coming up and my girlfriend hates seeing me even slightly beat up so I want to look my best!

I know its vane but any tips on getting the bruising down would be great!
Svartorm
2/6/08 10:07:59PM
My advice would be to f*ck with the lights out.

With a bruise, you want ice immediately after the injury to close the capilaries and keep the bruise from spreading out. After about 12 hours, switch to heat and it'll dissipate the bruise better.

On a side note, sympathy sex is great. Play that injury for all its worth.
grappler0000
2/7/08 12:30:30AM

Posted by Svartorm

With a bruise, you want ice immediately after the injury to close the capilaries and keep the bruise from spreading out. After about 12 hours, switch to heat and it'll dissipate the bruise better.

Those are words of wisdom!
loller90278
2/7/08 1:04:46AM

Posted by Svartorm

perfect advice ^

depending on what kind of person you are, it will fade away completly in 8 days (valentines day) or not be so obvious. if you're one of the unlucky ones that bruises stick around for forever, you can use cover up... but its your shoulder for christ sakes! man up!
SmileR
2/7/08 9:35:12AM

Posted by Svartorm

Haha thanks man!
Mastodon2
2/7/08 1:57:43PM

Posted by Svartorm

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Rush
2/7/08 4:42:32PM
This might not be that practical with your situation, but I find that a immersing your swollen body part in cold water does really well to bring down swelling. A bath or vat with cold water works, make sure it's not so cold that you will shiver.

I find ice packs just don't cover the whole area well.

Note: cold water is not water with ice in it. That is too cold.
Stickan
2/7/08 5:18:49PM
Anyone here who has any hints on making your gf completely forget about valentines day?

And no MMAers. KO is not an option.
wolfman
2/7/08 5:58:34PM

Posted by Stickan

Anyone here who has any hints on making your gf completely forget about valentines day?

I wish I had what they used in the Men In Black movies...
Rush
2/7/08 7:15:17PM

Posted by Stickan

Just suck it up (no pun intended), get her some flowers and enjoy a night of sex.

When random women see me on the subway carrying flowers (on V Day), they are literally melting.
Svartorm
2/8/08 2:04:19AM

Posted by Stickan

Dude, Swedish girls are the most gorgeous creatures of all time. Don't squander the one natural resourse you guys have.
Amave2008
2/9/08 5:53:12PM
Well bruising will be the least of your worries in due time. I also used to dwell on bruising but then as time went on it elevated to tearing rotator cuffs, ankle injuries etc.

Right now i am trying to get my knee fixed , my insurance just kicked in after not having any in close to a year after i tore it up.