The Highly Unofficial 2008 UFC Awards – The Submissions

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The Highly Unofficial 2008 UFC Awards – The Submissions
jae_1833
1/1/09 8:12:50PM
Whether applied with the finality of a knockout punch, with speed and technical acumen, or as a last-ditch fight saving maneuver, a submission move is one of the most versatile weapons in mixed martial arts today. Just ask the fighters who landed on the list below of the top submissions of 2008.
Twenty20Dollars
1/1/09 10:17:57PM
heres the link

I would have had these on the top 10 list Aurelio over Roberts, Cantweel over Razaak and Cb's sub over taylor
Wolfenstein
1/1/09 10:31:42PM
Well this guy definetely has some love for Kevin Burns as I think he has made it on every list so far.

I understand the reasoning behind many of the subs, being as they came at a desperate time of need...but c'mon four triangles?

You would think Dana's favorite submission (CB Dolloway's peruvian necktie) would have at least made the bottom of the list. I would also add Yoshiyuki Yoshida's Anaconda Choke over War Machine.
Twenty20Dollars
1/2/09 1:06:07AM
Well Kevin Burns could make the Knockouts list too because anthony johnson had the pleasure of giving him a head kick KO.
Jshep714
1/2/09 1:51:23AM
i agree with number 1 because that sub was sick

i think the Maia/MacDonald fight from UFC 87 was awesome with the numerous sub attempts from both men.

im not sure if they did knockouts but im sure Rashad is getting number 1 with Rampage getting number 2
ohiostate1016
1/2/09 11:16:54AM
Perfect pick for number one, but I'm not sure if I agree with Mir's sub being number 2. Sure, as far as importance goes, it'd be up there, but it was complete luck and wasn't really all that great.
gsquat
1/2/09 11:29:29AM
I'm not really feeling the Hazelett armbar @ #1. For me, I'd expect a more rare submission. Like Dollaway's peruvian necktie. Was that on the list?

For KO, I'd have to say Rashad over Chuck, or Kos over Yoshi @ #1. Then maybe Rampage @ 2 or 3. Those are the biggest that come to mind.

Ohio: Are you kidding me right now. Mir's sub on Lesnar was complete luck? Oops! I grabbed your foot, wrapped my legs around one of yours, and am now accidently applying pressure to hyperextend your knee. My bad!
Manfred
1/3/09 8:51:13AM
Why is Palhares armbar over Slaverry not on any of these "sub of the year" lists? Granted, it wasn't an important fight.

But an armbar from back-control. That was sweet. And the first I think I've seen in MMA
prozacnation1978
1/3/09 10:37:42AM
best sub has to be hazlette over burkman

ko's rashad first, kos second rampage third
BrutalKnockOut
1/5/09 4:32:00PM
Dan Miller vs. David Baron has to be up there.