What Do You Want In A Highlight-Reel?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What Do You Want In A Highlight-Reel?
Ben_Hutch
6/14/08 1:03:45PM
What Do You Want to See In a Fighters Highlight-Reel Video?

As some of you may have seen, i recently made a Thiago Alves Highlights video, I'm going to be making a few more in the future and I'd like some help as to what everyone would want to see in one.

I've watched a few others on youtube and people just play KO's over and over again, which i personally find boring.

So from an MMA fans perspective, what do you think i should put in the fighters highlight reels?

Thanks

grappler0000
6/14/08 5:57:20PM
I like ones that tell a story...not with words of coarse though.
Jackelope
6/14/08 7:35:03PM
Yep, story telling is good. The promising early days followed by the quick rise, then the crushing defeat leading into the re-emergence of a newfound desire to win and finally ending with seemingly limitless potential for the future.

There's a basic plot line for you

mkiv9secsupra
6/14/08 7:53:55PM
i like the ones that show the true charcter in the video. Wanderlei highlights show extreme aggression and power and others show the ability to turn a fight at any given time while others, like Fedor, show domination on the ground. So there is not one perspective to any video.

For alves show his training. He has been a huge underdog and flown under the radar. So show quick KO's and him beeinng an underdog like fighters saying theyre ready for Alves then Alves dominating.....
Ben_Hutch
6/15/08 6:17:18PM
Thanks for the help everyone,

I'm currently doing a Michael Bisping one, so I've taken your ideas up on the story theme (aka. him winning TUF, then winning some more, followed by the loss to Rashad (unfortunately i cant find any videos of the rashad vs bisping fight, so i think im going to have to use pictures instead), then the new beginning at MW).

dannyfrank
6/15/08 7:29:06PM
ive always been a fan of slow motion and dramatic background music (such as "O Fortuna")
Ben_Hutch
6/15/08 8:43:24PM

Posted by dannyfrank

ive always been a fan of slow motion and dramatic background music (such as "O Fortuna")

I want to put in slow motion but I'm using shitty windows movie maker and i don't think that has slow mo :(
dannyfrank
6/16/08 6:29:09PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by dannyfrank

I want to put in slow motion but I'm using shitty windows movie maker and i don't think that has slow mo :(

ah, that sucks
Ben_Hutch
6/16/08 6:56:16PM

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by dannyfrank

ah, that sucks

Yeah, I'm about half way through the video now, should be finished by Tuesday or Wednesday.
Ben_Hutch
6/17/08 4:14:51PM
Just finished a Bisping one HL video:

Michael Bisping Highlights Video
jiujitsufreak74
6/17/08 4:42:25PM
i just want to say that one thing that i love to see in a HL is at least one section of music syncing. for example, check out the beginning of this HL: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_4ybkdJKqc8
Rush
6/17/08 4:47:05PM
No rap or heavy metal. At least put some thought into the music that goes with it. I mean, death metal with someone like Sakuraba just doesn't fit.
Good quality video is a must.
The HL should be an hommage to the fighter not just a random compilation of fight parts. i.e. I like the idea that it tells a story.
HL reel should also contain non fight footage. i.e. training, corner footage, etc.

Other than the video quality, this is by far the best (and probably only) great HL reel I have seen.

Saku HL
jiujitsufreak74
6/17/08 5:29:42PM

Posted by Rush

No rap or heavy metal. At least put some thought into the music that goes with it. I mean, death metal with someone like Sakuraba just doesn't fit.
Good quality video is a must.
The HL should be an hommage to the fighter not just a random compilation of fight parts. i.e. I like the idea that it tells a story.
HL reel should also contain non fight footage. i.e. training, corner footage, etc.

Other than the video quality, this is by far the best (and probably only) great HL reel I have seen.

Saku HL

the best HL i have seen that embodies all of the qualities you mentioned was made by Manfred. i don't know what it is, but i always get a sense of perfection when i watch it: LINK
holt8081
6/17/08 11:00:55PM
somebody getting KTFO