hey

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » hey
lochie
11/22/08 6:35:10PM
im only new around here but wanted to ask a question about toughing up my thighs now i have bin doing MMA for quite some years but still am only new to the sport compaired to some of you and just wanted to get your opinion on how to do that.

Also my roundhouse Kick when i connect with the head or face should i spin back to my stance or just straight back to my fighting stance. sorry to bother some of you but this would be great help. and i currently dont train at an actual GYM that why i am asking you guys

cheers
Jackelope
11/22/08 6:42:17PM
I'm going to move this to the training forum.

BUT- The only real way to toughen up your thighs is to absorb the shots better. You should be turning the front part of your thigh into the kick to interrupt the connection and force it to come before your opponent is fully extended. Also cuz you can take a few more shots there.

I hate getting leg kicked, but I love doing it! haha

Ideally you want to get back into your stance as quickly as possible. The natural tendency is to swing back into the stance, and that's fine if it works for you. If you feel more natural stepping back into it you can go with that, too. Just get there quick, and maintain your balance when you do get there.

loller90278
11/22/08 6:45:19PM
i think for your roundhouse it depends on how much force you put into it. if you're putting all your power in that kick, you'd probably have enough momentum to spin back into stance, but if not it might be better to not spin. you always want to get back to "home" position as fast as you can.
postman
11/22/08 6:47:34PM
You can do both for your head kicks it more what you like just remeber if you set down instead of spinning through you will be in the opposite lead you must be comfortable in both leads or you will expose one of your weakness.
Jackelope
11/22/08 6:54:56PM

Posted by loller90278

i think for your roundhouse it depends on how much force you put into it. if you're putting all your power in that kick, you'd probably have enough momentum to spin back into stance, but if not it might be better to not spin. you always want to get back to "home" position as fast as you can.

You know.. I didn't even think to clarify whether he meant if he connects or not. If you connect you want to set your foot back, but if you miss you want to spin right on through and re-set yourself. Go with where your momentum takes you, but if you're spinning all the way around make sure to keep your guard up when you finish the spin. A lot of guys will cover themselves by throwing out a spinning backfist, but sometimes that's not always a great idea.
lochie
11/22/08 7:02:31PM
thanks guyz for the awesome responses. Also one more Question if u guyz can tell me REALLY what is a good fighting stance ive never really known yes it can depend on the person but surely there are some good ones that suit most ppl if anyone has gto any links or pics of good stances would be great and thanks again
Jackelope
11/22/08 7:18:34PM
Not only does it depend on the person, but it depends on the situation.

Basically figure it like this- if you're trying to avoid getting takedown in a wrestling situation then you need to lower your stance and position your hips to counter a shot.

If you're going to be doing some rangier striking then you need to be a little bit flatter on your feet to throw some kicks but yet be able to move around

If you're going to be straight boxing you need to be up on your toes and you can slide your feet in a little closer.

This is just a general thing, though. There's a 100,000 things that could be added to what I just said depending on the situation and your style/their style. That's something a trainer should be coaching you before a fight on. Someone who knows your style and hopefully the style of the other guy. We always try to get guys hooked up with trainers around here, but if you can't get one then it's cool. Just understand the more you train on your own without supervision the more bad habits you develop
lochie
11/22/08 7:24:03PM
thnaks mate so get with a trainer
dannyfrank
11/22/08 8:23:02PM
i dont ever spin when i throw a head kick. i took taekwondo for five years (yes, go ahead and flame me cause tkd sucks blah blah) and we learned to never spin cause when you spin, you have your back to you opponent for a split second, which is plenty of time for them to throw a kick ove the shoulder and kick you in the face.
The-Don
11/23/08 2:19:32PM
Basicly bruce lee said it best. to paraphrase.. Fights are dynamic always changing. What works in one instance may not work in the next instance. Even against the same opponent the same tactic may not work and you may have to do something completely different. You need to be able to adapt to every situation.

"Use now way as way, Have no limitation as limitation" - Bruce Lee

The_Ho_Bag
11/24/08 12:45:38PM

dannyfrank

i dont ever spin when i throw a head kick. i took taekwondo for five years (yes, go ahead and flame me cause tkd sucks blah blah) and we learned to never spin cause when you spin, you have your back to you opponent for a split second, which is plenty of time for them to throw a kick ove the shoulder and kick you in the face.

i tend to spin bc you have a better chance of K.O or More damage bc your going through your your opponent rather then just hit and return to your stance with a TKD roundhouse. but your back is exposed for a split second, tbh its all preference. since im tall and lanky i use that to advantage . but everyonce and a while you will see do a traditional TDK round house=)
dannyfrank
11/24/08 6:18:48PM

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

dannyfrank

i tend to spin bc you have a better chance of K.O or More damage bc your going through your your opponent rather then just hit and return to your stance with a TKD roundhouse. but your back is exposed for a split second, tbh its all preference. since im tall and lanky i use that to advantage . but everyonce and a while you will see do a traditional TDK round house=)

ah. true it does have more KO power. also it is much safer when you're taller than your opponent. im on the shorter side, so it just seems to dangerous for me to do it. it doesnt matter doing a TKD kick for me though, i kick hard either way
The_Ho_Bag
11/25/08 12:12:56PM

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

dannyfrank

ah. true it does have more KO power. also it is much safer when you're taller than your opponent. im on the shorter side, so it just seems to dangerous for me to do it. it doesnt matter doing a TKD kick for me though, i kick hard either way

TKD kick work =) but your right not taking anything from you . i TKD round house when im lazy =)