Who is your hero?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Who is your hero?
Rush
9/13/08 11:24:47PM
Who is your hero in your life? Is it your dad, a sprots icon, god, a close friend?

Name one person that you would consider a hero.

Personally, my hero is Terry Fox.

For those of you that do not know Terry Fox, in short Terry Fox was a young man, back in 1980, died in the middle of his marathon of hope. Terry had cancer and decided to run a marathon every day from the East coast of Canada across the country to the West coast. He got as far as Ontario before he had to stop from cancer moving from his leg to lungs. Did I mention he ran his runs with one leg?

I feel that he personifies courage and excellence and hope that I do something one day that others might consider me to have those qualities.
Jackelope
9/13/08 11:51:18PM
I have too many to list, really. Each for their own reasons.

Some of my biggest heroes are the doughboys of WW2, the unsung heroes of the Vietnam war, and men like Miyamoto Musashi or Charles Darwin. Basically men who stuck to an ideal through hardship and men who revolutionized thought the world over.

It will sound cheesy to say it now because of recent events, but Evan Tanner was actually a hero of mine because to me he was like a modern day Miyamoto Musashi. Like I said, I know it's cheesy because of recent events, but if you look at my posts from months and months ago you will see that it was the case back then, too.

Edit: and by the way, Rush- the man you mentioned seems very worthy of the title "Hero". I couldn't imagine doing that.

hotrodttt
9/13/08 11:52:12PM
Great Thread

Yeah my Biggest Hero has to be my Brother, he makes me Strive to be the Best at Everything I do and If I mess up in school he'll "Smoke Me", It's a 16 Hours of Various Execises done in one day with minimal rest. And he's everything I could want in a brother, he's in the Special Forces, He's a Great Fighter and he benches 570 Pounds. Right now he's in Iraq with his SF Group. He's the Guy on my Profile Picture if you want to take a Look.

Twenty20Dollars
9/14/08 12:18:07AM
Chris McCandless from into the wild, just his ultimate adventurerer. The way he lived his life and the things he liked. Just liked all the things about his life.
hippysmacker
9/14/08 12:46:03AM
Jesus
Jackelope
9/14/08 12:53:15AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Great Thread

Yeah my Biggest Hero has to be my Brother, he makes me Strive to be the Best at Everything I do and If I mess up in school he'll "Smoke Me", It's a 16 Hours of Various Execises done in one day with minimal rest. And he's everything I could want in a brother, he's in the Special Forces, He's a Great Fighter and he benches 570 Pounds. Right now he's in Iraq with his SF Group. He's the Guy on my Profile Picture if you want to take a Look.

Props to your bro I wasn't SF myself, but as an infantryman I got to work with SF guys a lot in certain parts of Iraq. The times I spent with SF were the best times I had in my 4 years with the Army. I've worked with all the different special forces and I can honestly say Army SF is a cut above the rest.
haggiswashere
9/14/08 3:10:28AM
Timothy Treadwell from grizzly man and grizzly diaries. that guy gave his life doing something he believed in. if you watch the show it is so sad. it makes me feel bad when people joke about him getting killed. he was a good guy. He was a small guy but he would approach poachers that were loaded with all kinds of guns with nothing to defend himself at all. He was a good guy. i really wish i could believe in something that strongly
Shawn91111
9/14/08 4:21:04AM
I dont know if I could pick one person, if I had to narrow it then it would be my Dad having 4 kids and never once complaining about anything, working long hours to support his family and never once being selfish, id consider that my hero.

I also consider the people who defend this country in the armed services and policing the country *although there is corruption of some but many good as well* who defend the freedom we are given, id consider them my heroes as well.
SmileR
9/14/08 9:46:47AM
My parents are most probably my heros as strange as that is to admit. They have supported me through everything I have ever wanted to do. My mum especially as even though she hated me boxing she never missed a fight and win lose or draw she always said she was proud of me.
Also anyone who has the balls to lead a exciting life I think I would class as someone I'd look up to. The people who are always looking to see everything.

Also I'd like to mention a guy I met once when I went parachuting (First and last time!) a few months back. He'd lost both his legs to a muscle disease he was starting a world trip off with this jump. He had such a great attitude towards life I was really impressed by him... Can't remember his name and he drank the last of my apple juice but seriously impressed me.
Aaronno9
9/14/08 11:47:28AM
Alan Shearer.
MMAcca
9/14/08 11:51:50AM

Posted by Aaronno9

Alan Shearer.

Eric Cantona
juanez13
9/14/08 12:53:10PM
Andy Hug & My father
casey64
9/14/08 12:58:22PM
To many to name.
wolfman
9/14/08 1:04:06PM
I don't have any heroes actually, but I respect those that do.
Kracker_Jap
9/14/08 1:46:52PM
1 Jesus
2 Bruce Lee
3 Arnold Schwarzenegger
4 George Bush

In that order
TimW001
9/14/08 1:58:04PM
loller90278
9/14/08 5:45:47PM
leonardo da vinci
albert einstein
russell crowe.

in that order
DJDark41
9/14/08 8:04:25PM
I have two. "Dimebag" Darrell, first of all. His music has turned me into the person I am today. Without my music, specifically his, I'm just a kid with no direction, no drive, no nothing. But, there is just something that happens when I turn on Pantera. I get driven, I get motivated, and it sort of gives me a place where I feel like I belong and I truly fit in, and its not all about being popular and being cool and hip, its just about being you and having a f*cking good time while doing it.

And my true hero has really got to be my brother. We fight all the time, but anyone who has a brother knows what its like. He is really the biggest influence in my life. When I'm sitting around going, "I can't do this," or "this is too tough for me to do," I just think of my brother. When he had cancer, not once did he have a negative attitude. It was always, "When I get better, I can't wait to get back to doing all the normal things I used to do." And he managed to keep a sense of humor through his whole ordeal. I remember a nurse telling him he can't eat pink meat, and he said, "Oh great. Does that mean I can't eat flamingo anymore?" As much as we fight, I love him to death. Going through everything he went through, and coming out the other side a better person, just makes me feel like I can do anything in life that comes in my way. And on a side note, whenever we make him in the NHL video games, we give him 99 toughness. I recently asked him why, and he told me, "I beat cancer. What makes you think I couldn't beat up some no-name 4th line player?" Can't argue with that.