Hermes Franca vs. Sean Sherk?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Hermes Franca vs. Sean Sherk?
aceprone
1/26/07 1:57:49PM
I'm a huge franca fan. I have been for awhile, you can ask my friends about this. I like Spencer Fister alot myself, but I was the only one out of my friends going for Franca. I hope franca gets a title shot, he completely deserves it out of all the new 155er's in the division. But I really don't know if he can get past Sherk. Any thoughts on how a title shot with Franca and Sherk?
loller90278
1/26/07 2:08:05PM
franca would get ripped apart.. hes too sloppy and gases easily
allevil86
1/26/07 2:45:47PM
I think franca is next in line but he isn't going to beat sherk unless he catches him with one of thoses wild shots.
jmoooooo
1/26/07 2:57:37PM
I think Sherk would pwn Franca. Franca at this point is too slow, too sloppy, and does seem to gas a bit. Sherk has fought and competed against larger, faster, stronger opponents and more than held his own, given his size disadvantage (Hughes, GSP). I dont see Franca being a threat to Sherk atm. I dont think Sherk will have a problem until BJ moves down or they bring in some Pride talent.
madmarck
1/26/07 3:00:56PM

Posted by aceprone

I'm a huge franca fan. I have been for awhile, you can ask my friends about this. I like Spencer Fister alot myself, but I was the only one out of my friends going for Franca. I hope franca gets a title shot, he completely deserves it out of all the new 155er's in the division. But I really don't know if he can get past Sherk. Any thoughts on how a title shot with Franca and Sherk?

Sherdog.com reported on their main page that Franca got the title shot, and that Dana announced it at the press confrenece afterwards.
Sinical
1/26/07 3:09:43PM
Sherk 3rd or 4th round Bruatl GNP

but franca will be training his ass off for this fight

could see a franca sub but i doubt it
pv3Hpv3p
1/26/07 3:28:06PM
Don't count Franca's BJJ out. In general, it seems to be the best weapon against brute strength / ground control fighters.

Franca by sub Rd 3, otherwise Sherk by UD if it goes the distance, but I don't see Sherk stopping him before that. Franca's got mad heart, iff KenFlo can take that beating from Sherk, I'm confident that Hermes can too.

Anybody know when Sherks gonna be ready to fight? Was it shoulder surgery, I think, right?

As a side note, I saw Sean Sherk at a bar just north of the Twin Cities shortly after his Lightweight victory, and that dude is stacked, I'm almost a foot taller than him, but that guy is deisel, and I definitley wouldn't f*ck with him. I guess it's just kind of wild seeing the fighters in person, it kind of puts things into perspective.
aceprone
1/26/07 4:56:38PM
Like I said before I'm a Franca fan, but I don't think he can handle Sherk. Besides I do want to see Sherk hold that belt for awhile. With Franca throwing those wild shots, it's hard to say that it would land on Sherk because Sherk is so disciplined with his stand up. He never ever drops his hands. I love watching that about him. But I do think Franca will put on a good game against Sherk. And that's why Franca will always have my respect, because he always comes to fight.
Gomiera
1/26/07 5:58:31PM
Sherk probably has a slight edge because of his strength. But if Franca works his cardio a bit, this will be a damn close fight. I'll be rooting for Franca also.
Sticksta13
1/26/07 6:21:51PM
If Franca drops his head as many times as he did against Fisher then Sherk will KO him
aceprone
1/26/07 7:23:33PM
agreed. He certainly can't be doing that with sherk. Sherk has good dirty boxing.
OchoCinco
1/26/07 8:45:59PM
Give me Franca by sub with the upset.
hippysmacker
1/26/07 9:30:41PM
Sherk by either Ko or GnP round 3 IMO. Francas a warrior , but I don't think he can hang with Sherk's pace, brute strength, and technical boxing. Kenflo has better cardio and great chin. I think Francas got a good chin, but he seems to gas in almost every fight I see. I don't know if he just goes for broke and tires out or if his training cardio wise isn't up to snuff. Either way I'll take Sherk, and I think BJ is the only guy in the world that I would favor over him at that weight.
aceprone
1/26/07 9:50:25PM
BJ Penn would rule lightweight and welterweight if he would stay in shape.
hippysmacker
1/27/07 1:06:33AM

Posted by aceprone

BJ Penn would rule lightweight and welterweight if he would stay in shape.

I'll agree with the lightweight part, but I don't think he would rule welterweight. Might win the title and lose it a couple more times. Too many great fighters(GSP, Hughes, Sanchez, Fitch, Parisyan). I think the title will great traded around a bit in the next 3 to 5 years, and I think Bj is still a little smaller than the average top welterweight.
Tibun
1/28/07 5:31:16PM
HERMES FRANCA

im down with him winning the LW title, mainly cause i DO NOT like sherks style of fighting. Prolly also because i got to train with franca here in hawaii, he is an amazing guy.
madmarck
1/28/07 5:39:48PM
I dont know why you guys think Franca has such a good chance at subbing sherk. He has only ever lost to GSP TKO and Hughes Descision. Sherk has very short limbs and a short neck. it is hard to catch this guy in a sub.
madmarck
1/28/07 5:40:48PM

Posted by Tibun

HERMES FRANCA

im down with him winning the LW title, mainly cause i DO NOT like sherks style of fighting. Prolly also because i got to train with franca here in hawaii, he is an amazing guy.

Whats that Crisp Boxing, awesome wrestling, and wicked cardio and strength?
Jeffanori-Gomi
1/28/07 8:41:36PM

Posted by loller90278

franca would get ripped apart.. hes too sloppy and gases easily

Franca's hands are wild but hard hitting, his cardio wasn't very good he looked gassed when Fisher was pressing the action.

Sherk by GnP
madmarck
2/4/07 11:56:22AM
Sherk by another 5 round War. But War Hermes Franca!
BabbyHughes
2/5/07 2:24:44AM

I think Sherk would pwn Franca. Franca at this point is too slow, too sloppy, and does seem to gas a bit. Sherk has fought and competed against larger, faster, stronger opponents and more than held his own, given his size disadvantage (Hughes, GSP). I dont see Franca being a threat to Sherk atm. I dont think Sherk will have a problem until BJ moves down or they bring in some Pride talent

well said... I completely agree. I think if Melvin improves more, i think he would bring something to the table against Sherk. Melvin has great wrestling, he's a huge 155, he has solid stand up, and he is very powerful. There are many things to come in the UFC 155 pound division...
Trapt1nw0nder
2/5/07 4:15:57AM
Franca does deserve a shot,but i also think Sherk is all around too good for Franca

i dont really like Sherk and his LnP style but it will get the job done...i think France will be taken down at will and he wont land that shot he did on Fisher....Sherk defense is too solid to be KO'd on his feet

a good gameplan for Franca is to come up with a Chuck Liddell gameplan and Counter Counter Counter! knee Sherk coming in for a takedown......the only shot is for him to improve his striking......with those heavy hands i bet he has a fast mean uppercut!..just like chuck....

but then, even Franca said himself.."when i step in the cage,i forget about gameplan"......soo Sherk wins
Sakuraba
2/5/07 11:23:14AM
Sherk by UD or franca by sub
Texican
2/5/07 7:35:38PM
I love Franca and amazed at the things he's done in the past year . On that note , I belive Sherk is to strong , has better stand-up , & his wrestling is off the hook .
The lightweight division is stacked with guys like Fisher , Edgar , T. Griffin , and possibly Jens and BJ jumping into the mix . Gotta love the 155ers !!!!
bayonetxwork
2/5/07 7:42:23PM
I think he should fight Guillard, and the winner of that gets a title shot.