Ed Herman could have, maybe should have, won

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Ed Herman could have, maybe should have, won
Lay_N_Pray
4/21/08 11:57:06PM
Don't let the title of this thread fool you. I am a firm believer Maia is going to be a dangerous fighter in the UFC and already is to some point. But Ed Herman is no slouch and I believe he had one glaring opportunity he could have taken advantage of to win the fight.

When Maia constantly pulled guard and fought from his back, Herman was able to back out of the guard. When he did, he opted to hold Maia's ankles and try to spin him slightly so he could fall into the side mount and work ground and pound.

Herman did this a few times, where he would slightly stand and push Maia's feet to the side to try to fall into side mount for the GnP.

I think Herman should have walked away from Maia anytime he pulled away from his guard and let Maia stand up. Herman could have won the exchange on the feet and he had plenty of opportunity to have that happen.

I was disappointed his corner didn't give him that advice, and if they did, he should have followed it.
jiujitsufreak74
4/22/08 12:04:41AM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Don't let the title of this thread fool you. I am a firm believer Maia is going to be a dangerous fighter in the UFC and already is to some point. But Ed Herman is no slouch and I believe he had one glaring opportunity he could have taken advantage of to win the fight.

When Maia constantly pulled guard and fought from his back, Herman was able to back out of the guard. When he did, he opted to hold Maia's ankles and try to spin him slightly so he could fall into the side mount and work ground and pound.

Herman did this a few times, where he would slightly stand and push Maia's feet to the side to try to fall into side mount for the GnP.

I think Herman should have walked away from Maia anytime he pulled away from his guard and let Maia stand up. Herman could have won the exchange on the feet and he had plenty of opportunity to have that happen.

I was disappointed his corner didn't give him that advice, and if they did, he should have followed it.

its one thing to say that and another thing to do it. i'll tell you something, every time Herman backed out of the guard Maia was right there for the reversal. don't think that Herman could have walked away from that guard so easily because im sure if Maia felt that he was trying to get away his guard would have been different. also, a world class BJJ guard is a lot more dangerous then it appears. it is surprisingly difficult to get out of and they bait you with opportunities to get you stuck in submissions. Maia was in control on the ground and had Herman dancing in his palm. he dictated every move, and im sure that if he felt Herman was pushing his feet aside to stand up his guard would have adapted to the situation. it is hard to say what ifs because we never know how Maia would actually react to that; however i believe that the fight would have ended the same way.
Lay_N_Pray
4/22/08 12:10:13AM
All very good points...I just felt from watching the fight he had opportunities to walk away from the guard. Much like the Arlovski/Werdum fight where Werdum tried to bait Arlovski into coming into his guard.

I am not denying Maia's ability at all and obviously your points could be true, but I feel Herman could have had opportunities. We will never really know, I just think Maia still has some holes in his game and Herman could have done better with what was presented to him.

I know I would love to see a Maia/Lutter fight now that Lutter fell to Franklin.

jiujitsufreak74
4/22/08 12:17:28AM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

All very good points...I just felt from watching the fight he had opportunities to walk away from the guard. Much like the Arlovski/Werdum fight where Werdum tried to bait Arlovski into coming into his guard.

I am not denying Maia's ability at all and obviously your points could be true, but I feel Herman could have had opportunities. We will never really know, I just think Maia still has some holes in his game and Herman could have done better with what was presented to him.

I know I would love to see a Maia/Lutter fight now that Lutter fell to Franklin.

i agree and you made valid points as well. im sure Herman could have attacked the situation differently but i truly believe at the rate at which Maia was taking it to the ground he would have caught him eventually. either way we'll never know; i always think of the butterfly effect when i think about hypothetical like this.

i really want to see how Maia does against someone like Bisping or Kampmann. Almeida or Marquardt would be interesting match ups as well. this man has a plethora of opportunities waiting for him and i hope he lives up to the hype that people like me put on him.