Herman vs. Maia Official; UFC 83 to Feature 11 Bouts

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Herman vs. Maia Official; UFC 83 to Feature 11 Bouts
juanez13
3/10/08 4:02:27PM
The UFC today made official the long-rumored UFC 83 bout between middlweights Ed Herman (14-5 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and Demian Maia (6-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC). With the booking, UFC 83 now features a total of 11 bouts.

The announcement was on UFC.com.

The 27-year-old Herman, one of the most experienced fighters cast for the third season of "The Ultimate Fighter," made it to the show's finals but lost to Kendall Grove. In his very next fight, he was quickly submitted by Jason MacDonald for his second straight loss, but the Team Quest fighter quickly turned things around. First came a first-round submission of Chris Price at UFC Fight Night 8, then came a second-round submission of Scott Smith at UFC 72. He most recently earned a third-round knockout of veteran fighter Joe Doerksen -- the first knockout of his career -- this past November at UFC 78.

Although Maia hasn't fought the biggest names in MMA, every fighter the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt has beaten currently has a winning record. Five of the six victories have come via first-round stoppages.

UFC events have traditionally featured nine fights, but with approximately 250 fighters signed to contracts, the organization has been booking a growing number of bouts for each event. UFC Fight Night 13, for example, will likely feature 12 fights next month.

LINK
silverbullet
3/10/08 4:05:00PM
This is awesome
juanez13
3/10/08 4:05:46PM
Lots of rumors that this fight might have been scratched...well im glad it was nothing more than a rumor, both talented guys, and a win for Maia could push him furher in the middleweight division, the guy gots some talent, but he has got a tough task ahead of him.
MMA_Alex
3/10/08 4:09:39PM
This exact same thread was already made like two minutes before you made it.
iwannabesedated
3/10/08 4:10:38PM
Nice to see some good MW matchups.Maybe its not soo thin after all.
whardin19
3/10/08 4:17:51PM
I'm so happy this fight is still on. This is one of the fights on that card that I really want to see. Even though its not on the main card I can see this fight being the first swing bout if they have time. I'm going to be routing for Herman in this one boys. Like his personality on TUF.
juanez13
3/10/08 4:20:08PM
here is a Highlight Of Damian Maia..

LINK- MMA HL

LINK- BJJ HL
Ordep
3/10/08 6:42:05PM

I had really good hopes for Ryan Jensen, he dominated Leites until got caught in that armbar, .... but Maia ruined them freaking BJJ Wizard

Not sure who I'm picking on this one cause I like both of them, just hoping for a good fight. And looking forward to see Maia vs. Leites that should be one of the greatest BJJ match-ups that could happen now in MMA.
prozacnation1978
3/10/08 6:44:58PM
wow but they need to keep a equal amount of bouts per each venue, if some have 9 while others have 11 it's not fair that we are all paying to see the fights, i think everyone would love to see 11 but if we only see 9 instead i do think the tickets should be cheaper
tuvok500
3/10/08 11:33:23PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

wow but they need to keep a equal amount of bouts per each venue, if some have 9 while others have 11 it's not fair that we are all paying to see the fights, i think everyone would love to see 11 but if we only see 9 instead i do think the tickets should be cheaper

Well, i think they have so many events in California and las vegas that even with only 9 fights per event, at the end of the years the peoples of those area are seeing a lot more fight than us in Canada.

Also, for the first event in Canada, they can make a special considering that the bell center was sold out in 2 days !!

supatolacyl
3/11/08 3:07:48AM
I got Demian Maia subing Herman in the first round. I think Maia is on his way to the top, he has some serious sick jj from everything I have been able to pull up on him. I mean you can only go so far in the mw division though before you run into Anderson Silva, but I think he will earn the right to get in there with him soon.
Kugel
3/11/08 7:55:20AM
Maia's HL video is pretty impressive....this should be pretty good card.