Herman (T)KO 7% (3)
Herman Sub 17% (7)
Herman Decision 10% (4)
Maia (T)KO 0% (0)
Maia Sub 63% (26)
Maia Decision 2% (1)
WhiteWidow
4/3/08 11:53:15PM
this one is giving me the most trouble on the 83 card, i'd say maia is definatly the more dangerous one on the ground but standing i have to give it to herman until i see maia's standup, herman has beaten better competition and faced better fighters but maia has been put up against some good fighters too, as of now i have left this fight blank until i get some better insight on this fight, all i know if it will be a good one, thoughts?
mrliquid
4/4/08 12:06:28AM
Maia has the advantage on the ground but Ed has the experience and is on a 3 fight win streak I think if he can avoid the takedown he will win by either knockout or pull off a decision but even if it goes to the ground he still has a good chance 9 of his 14 wins are by way of sub so he wouldnt be lost on the ground i'm pickin Ed personaly.
RMFG_187
4/4/08 12:17:46AM
Im looking forward to this fight, its going to be a great Fight!
WhiteWidow
4/4/08 12:34:00AM

Posted by mrliquid

Maia has the advantage on the ground but Ed has the experience and is on a 3 fight win streak I think if he can avoid the takedown he will win by either knockout or pull off a decision but even if it goes to the ground he still has a good chance 9 of his 14 wins are by way of sub so he wouldnt be lost on the ground i'm pickin Ed personaly.

yeah experience might play in this fight, ed is on a hot streak, i dont think hes rolled with something at the level that maia in on as far as ground game, he will definatly look for a KO imo, he has good sub defense too but will it be enough to nulify demian? maybe, this fight has seriously implications for a future title shot written on it, both would need another win after this to be considered a UFC top 5 or 10 and probably 2 more for each after this one to be consider for a title shot
Pitbull09
4/4/08 12:36:27AM
I like Maia a lot. Im glad they decided to give him a test like this and I think he should do well. Maybe 2nd round sub for Maia?
Pookie
4/4/08 2:00:20AM
easiest fight on the card to pick IMO, Maia sub round 1
NatedawgThaM
4/4/08 4:45:08AM
This will look like MacDonald-Herman IMO. Except replace MacDonald with Maia, and I expect Maia to finish with something even more crafty! Ed has the stand up range, but I expect Maia to pull guard at some point or maybe even take him down and finish with a sub!

Maia is the next big thing! This time next year there will be a Maia-Anderson super fight for the middleweight title and it will be a real pick em since Maia will improve his stand up! Trust me on that!!!
skinnator
4/4/08 7:38:32AM
Onn this one, I think Short Fuse will win it with a TKO.
Twenty20Dollars
4/4/08 9:01:58AM
herman has more exp, better striking. Maia has a slick ground game.

If herman can keep it standing, it'll be his, but i dont think he can.
wolfman
4/4/08 11:57:55AM

Posted by Pitbull09

I like Maia a lot. Im glad they decided to give him a test like this and I think he should do well. Maybe 2nd round sub for Maia?

My thoughts exactly, easy pick.
gsquat
4/4/08 2:52:52PM
This one seems easy to call. Maia seems much hungrier, and a more disciplined fighter. I'm sure he takes his career very seriously (as most Brazillian fighters do). The same cannot be said for Herman (see TUF). As a result of Maia's mentality his ground game is above and beyond Herman's. I can't say that either has good standup. I can say that I'm not impressed with Herman's standup, even after knocking out Doerkson. It was a wild swing that did it. The clear advantage goes to Maia; R1 Sub.

p.s. 4 of Herman's 5 losses are via submission.
jae_1833
4/5/08 3:37:19PM
I'm hoping that Herman has learned enough sub def by now to avoid Maia's only weapon, a sub from underneath...unfortunately I don't think Herman can neccessarily put Maia down either...he is a badass! I feel a grinding long win here coming for Ed in the form of a UD.
prozacnation1978
4/6/08 1:32:46AM
it seems every card i have one fight that is very tough to call, for canada this is the one for me as well. ed will not submit him but can knock him out as maia as no standup but all ground. if damien gets ed on the ground it can be over in seconds. if ed can avoid the subs he can get it to a decision, very intriguing match up that i wish would be on the main card, you would think ed would avoid takedowns and try to knock him out with a tko or ground n pound. right now i have herman but i am leaning toward maia this will be a last minute decision in who to pick
tylerlee123
4/6/08 1:55:40PM
Man this fight is gonna be sick when i think about this fight i see herman getting the KO but man i dont know about this Meia guy , we'll see what happens