Heres a video of me....I open to criticism, I want to improve...help me guys

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Heres a video of me....I open to criticism, I want to improve...help me guys
MMA_Juggalo
10/16/08 10:46:58PM
Alright well here's a video of me doing what I do everyday purty much....I want to better myself... so i'm open to suggestions and advice and criticism. I try to incorporate Muay thai techniques (elbows, kicks) with my boxing....understand though I have limited mobility in my training shed so thats why I don't move much.....And yes I know...I'm very tiny...I don't know how to gain weight...I've been workin out for 2 years and MMA is something im really serious about....FEEDBACK my fellow fighters!! Please :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2dTDRNou9I
hotrodttt
10/16/08 10:52:21PM
You're using all arm punches, Try to put your hips/body into your punches
MMA_Juggalo
10/16/08 11:05:02PM
Thanks, I understand what you mean, honestly I was goin for more of speed right here than technique. When Im doing it for technique I always rotate my hips and really lean into the punch. Basically though you're right....wheter I'm goin fast OR slow I need to put more rotation into it. Thanks for the input!
hotrodttt
10/16/08 11:12:08PM

Posted by MMA_Juggalo

Thanks, I understand what you mean, honestly I was goin for more of speed right here than technique. When Im doing it for technique I always rotate my hips and really lean into the punch. Basically though you're right....wheter I'm goin fast OR slow I need to put more rotation into it. Thanks for the input!

Also, it looks like when you kick you wave your arms out and leave your face open for a Straight Right
MMA_Juggalo
10/16/08 11:23:53PM
The techniques I was learnin' the Muay Thai Kick from said I should sort of punch and pull back just as i'm swinging my leg through the target to generate more power. I'm kinda lost on throwing kicks, I've never actually thrown one in a real fight. It takes more balance than I'm used to having while just boxing. But don't swing my arms? Keep them on the defensive?
RampageOwnedYou
10/16/08 11:27:50PM
I will try and give you advice, take it for what it is.

Your punches, you need to step into more. You seem to not be putting your hips into it. If you ever played baseball, you know to get power you need to throw your hips into it. Same goes for punching and kicks.

Also your balance is WAY off, try getting something where you could balance yourself. Go to an excersie plays and they have balls with side steps to balance on, i recommend this for balance. Or something similar.

Also, what are you going for? Conditioning? Or you looking to ACTUAL train? What your doing from the start of the video with the speed punching and going all out, is not smart, unless you are looking to work on conditioning. Because the whole point of training is to get better with your mechanics. By you draining all your energy, your going to do yourself no good. So maybe save this to the end.

This is a start, think about it.
And as Hotrodd said, always protect yourself, never leave your face exposed after a punch or kick.
goodluck, and good work.
thelastking
10/16/08 11:37:02PM
I have a question. Do you switch your stance when you go for the kick? Your southpaw when you are punching but when you kick it kinda looks like you switch your stance but its hard to tell because its kinda out of camera range. If you do switch your stance because you have no room to throw on your power leg because of the weight machine, just try a switch kick instead of changing stances. If you are already doing that then you can disregard my whole post, Oh yeah make sure to control your kicks, after you hit the bag pull the leg back into your stance instead of just dropping it. Try to make sure your other hand is back before throwing the next punch. Try to extend one hand infront of you while throwing the kick and tuck your chin in on the shoulder that your arm is extended on while using the other hand to block the other side of your face. Anyway hopefully one of these were usefull to you. Anyway have fun and good luck with your training
MMA_Juggalo
10/16/08 11:43:05PM
Thanks rampage, as far as balance goes, I have something called and indo board, I don't know if you're familiar with it, if not just google search an image of it...Should I use this and throw punches while I'm using it? Think that would benefit me trying to throw the punch and keep a balance?

Also as far as conditioning, I partly do this for trying to keep in shape, but I'm pretty serious about wanting to be a good fighter, I don't plan on joining UFC or anything...but it's something I enjoy doing, so I guess its a little of both. I have other ways of keeping in shape though so I'm leanin more towards training for ACTUALLY fighting. I don't always do a "burnout session" like that but I am trying to build up endurance. I appreciate you're advice rampage! I'll work on it.
MMA_Juggalo
10/16/08 11:47:54PM
Reply to King: I think its from me trying to fluctuate back and forth between different stances. When I do throw a kick I guess I do change my positioning though...which I JUST noticed lol so thanks LOTS king, I looked into muay thai about a month ago so my comfort zone with throwing kicks is still kinda growing. If you can't tell I lose my balance pretty easily and I'm not to sure about how I'm gonna connect. I'll work on using both legs for both types of kicks, and keeping it where I don't change my stance. Thanks King!
decken
10/17/08 12:37:16AM
When you throw your left you drop your right hand. But the best thing you could do is find a local gym and start training there. You do not want to build bad habits. It is easier to learn something right the first time then to have too break bad habits and then learn the correct way. Good luck!
jomatty
10/17/08 9:50:00AM
i dont have anything to add that others havent mentioned before but i will say that your attitude is comendable. a year or so ago someone posted a video on sherdog asking for critique but was so sensitive to anything anyone said that they most certainly didnt get anything out of it. if you stay humble and listen to what people say then it will do you a lot more good than if you try to constantly defend yourself. anyways, big props for that and keep up the hard work.
The-Don
10/17/08 2:06:24PM
dude.. it takes guts to post your self up and open yourself to criticizim you get props from me for that.

All I noticed that was not mentioned already is when your throwing your kick besides your arm swinging out you have a tendency to leave it high leaving your liver area exposed... against a pin point striker you could go down.. but that all comes from practice.

Where are you training at?
RampageOwnedYou
10/17/08 7:24:06PM

i dont have anything to add that others havent mentioned before but i will say that your attitude is comendable. a year or so ago someone posted a video on sherdog asking for critique but was so sensitive to anything anyone said that they most certainly didnt get anything out of it. if you stay humble and listen to what people say then it will do you a lot more good than if you try to constantly defend yourself. anyways, big props for that and keep up the hard work.

kaskd
10/17/08 7:26:13PM
Props to you for trying. I assume something is preventing you from getting to a real gym to train, so I'm going to ignore that.

For your round kicks we can't see your plant foot, but i can assume from your hip angle that you are not pivoting all the way. Your plant foot should be pointing almost behind you when pivoted properly. This causes your hips to face the wall entirely to your left. Almost perpendicular to your target. What people also don't understand is your leg should be going horizontal at point of contact, no longer up. Now this doesn't happen in most fights b/c of the time it takes, but in practice you should have proper form. Watch this video. Pay attention to the turn over part. Watch the freeze frame at 1:36.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YpCcJ2SnDs&feature=related

And getting hit is something you can never train for without actually doing.

Now, i assume you're trying the Chuck Liddell hooks. Stay in one stance and don't switch around. Practice real jabs, crosses, hooks and ups. Use a mirror and shadow box. Step forward on your punches, and push through your hips.
MMA_Juggalo
10/17/08 10:19:00PM
I live in a small town in Florida, the nearest MMA gym or any fighting gym is about 30 miles away.... my resources are really limited. I understand that fighting by yourself is NOTHING like fighting an actual person. I assumed one time that I could beat my friend up because I was pretty confident in my fighting abilities, so we had a friendly throwdown...of course I lost because I hadn't been in a fight almost ever...minus a couple baby throw downs back in like jr. high. It was NOTHING like my at home training.

But yea in order to train I have to fight in a REALLY tiny shed (as you can see from the video) ...My grandpa REFUSES to throw out anything so theres hardly any room to move...its horrible I can't do any footwork. I have two sheds, One has my benchpress in it, the other has my dip machine and punching bag, and they're both just as crowded. I've tried to get into MMA before...but nobody takes me seriously. They think its just some stupid thing I want, but I'm seriously interested in it. It kinda gets old even trying cuz nobody wants to spar, nobody around here's even interested. So all I basically do is I try to research everything myself, and the execute as good a technique as i can, by watching different techniques on Youtube or something.

I realize I have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONg way to go....but I'm not even gonna give up, I wanna fight too bad lol, Ive been askin around for sparrin buddies, who knows one of my friends might end up wantin to spar. But thanks for the advice guys, I actually wrote down the different things ya'll said I was doing wrong, and I went out today and started working on them, I'll keep working on them untill it becomes habit and then I'll post another video with what's changed and how I corrected myself. But thanks guys I appreciate it!
Svartorm
10/17/08 10:49:41PM
Hey bro.

This has been said many times on here, but you DONT want to train with videos. Your form is already all over the place, and the more you work it now, the harder it'll be to fix when you actually train somewhere. It sucks, but if you don't currently have the funds to train somewhere, you're better off working on your general fitness level and leaving the actual combatives for another day. As for finding a place to train, you don't have to start at an MMA gym. Theres probably a boxing gym a lot closer, depending on where you are, and that would be affordable and worth doing, or you can check local general fitness gyms and see if someone does private instructionals or runs small classes out of those.

I repeat, DONT train with videos. I know you're probably young and hopping about with energy to get into this right away, but you'll do more harm than good in the long term.
The-Don
10/19/08 12:31:06PM

Posted by Svartorm

Hey bro.

This has been said many times on here, but you DONT want to train with videos. Your form is already all over the place, and the more you work it now, the harder it'll be to fix when you actually train somewhere. It sucks, but if you don't currently have the funds to train somewhere, you're better off working on your general fitness level and leaving the actual combatives for another day. As for finding a place to train, you don't have to start at an MMA gym. Theres probably a boxing gym a lot closer, depending on where you are, and that would be affordable and worth doing, or you can check local general fitness gyms and see if someone does private instructionals or runs small classes out of those.

I repeat, DONT train with videos. I know you're probably young and hopping about with energy to get into this right away, but you'll do more harm than good in the long term.

Excellent advice as usual. I am sure there is a Karate School or :: shivers:: TKD school.. or some other martial arts school closer, but anything is better then training with videos... Videos are best for those who alread have thier technique down and are just looking to add a new move and new ideas to someone who already has a more complete skill set I have been training for years and still avoid videos and when I do watch something I then try to find an instructor who can make sure I am doing it correctly.
bayonetxwork
10/20/08 5:51:18PM
ahh man, you should really try getting to some sort of martial arts gym regardless of discipline if you are really serious about getting into it. because your technique was all over the place, but you seem eager to learn which is good. so here is my advice:

1. join a gym
2. you say you can't practice footwork because your shed is too small, but you can atleast add some head movement and if you have enough room to kick, you should be able to work some angles rather than coming straight in.
3. join a gym
4. if your serious about not being able to train anywhere, and despite what people tell you want tocontinue to train off videos, you need to be a perfectionist. i started training about 3 years ago, and prior to that, i trained with videos by myself. it wasn't as bad for me because i broke EVERYTHING down, and made sure that I executed it piece by piece. from watching where his weight goes, to hip and shoulder rotation, just everything. you need to break EVERY single aspect down just to minimize the amount of bad habits you'll pick up.
5. you seem to drop your hands on almost every punch, keep em up.
6. timing. every combination you throw is at the same speed, switch it up. add feints.
7. don't headbutt.
8. knees, kicks, and elbows. you gotta be able to add them into your combination effectively. don't lead off with a loopy kick, or an outside elbow.
9. why practice half of the video open palm? oh and buy gloves.
10. join a gym

okay, so join a gym, and if you don't and continue to learn off vids. you have to STUDY them. i fortunately didn't have too many bad habits because i tried to learn as much about the technique as possible. and i video taped everything i did, just so i could go back and compare and break down what i was doing that i shouldn't. you really just gotta spend a lot of time perfecting every little step to add up to the final thing. good luck.
telnights
10/20/08 6:22:10PM
Not being mean just honest here....
I going to agree with what Svartorm said. Don't use videos to train yourself. They are good for just understanding things but not training. I teach wrestling and boxing locally and can tell you videos build bad habits. From watching your video you already have already picked up some bad habits yourself. Your kind of all over the place and very stiff. Go see a good trainer and should be easy to fix the problems I could see. But all your doing right now is basically staying in shape and not really learning the right way to do things.
dannyfrank
10/21/08 10:00:39PM

Posted by The-Don

Excellent advice as usual. I am sure there is a Karate School or :: shivers:: TKD school..

damn. i know TKD is pretty useless in real life but what makes karate any better?
jiujitsufreak74
10/21/08 10:14:12PM

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by The-Don

Excellent advice as usual. I am sure there is a Karate School or :: shivers:: TKD school..

damn. i know TKD is pretty useless in real life but what makes karate any better?

See: Andy Hug
Svartorm
10/21/08 11:08:59PM
Depends on the school of Karate, but I'd say the emphasis on hand strikes over kicks is much better combatives wise, whether self-defense or MMA.
Jackelope
10/21/08 11:33:32PM
Any American Kenpo style that actually emphasizes footwork and KEEPING YOUR HANDS up I would say is worth checking out if you have no other options.

Kung fu can be good for training hand speed and controlling the center line.

Off shoots of these styles that don't teach you to keep your hands up and don't emphasize clean footwork are a waste IMO. (See: TKD)
Svartorm
10/22/08 4:11:00AM
Thats actually a very good piece of advice. Any martial art that doesn't emphasis protecting your head will generally get you into trouble in MMA, as when you start throwing, you'll revert back to what you know, which is to throw from your waist, and any decent counter puncher, or even just a tenacious slugger will put you down.
Jackelope
10/22/08 8:37:29AM

Posted by Svartorm

Thats actually a very good piece of advice. Any martial art that doesn't emphasis protecting your head will generally get you into trouble in MMA, as when you start throwing, you'll revert back to what you know, which is to throw from your waist, and any decent counter puncher, or even just a tenacious slugger will put you down.

Yeah.. you picked up on exactly what I was getting at. Old habits are definitely hard to break. Especially when you get caught up in the brawl
The_Ho_Bag
10/22/08 11:35:07AM
your hands are way tooo high your ribs are too exposed a solid body blow or kick could end your night very quickly but props for doing it,like everyone said you need to use your body more when u punch bc i hate to use the this comparison but you reminded of that guy from never back down when he was hitting the bag just going wild...

like i said props for doing it
MMA_Juggalo
10/22/08 3:05:11PM
Thanks guys! I knew I was doin a lot of stuff wrong so I figured I might as well hear it now, rather than later on down the road. My uncle teaches some kinda martial art......unfortunately I think its TKD hahahahahaha, butt he might know a little on some stuff, so I think I'll go to him. I guess the best thing for me to do right now is just keep building my endurance up, since thats all I seem to be doing lol, but then I'll have SOMETHING to offer when I train for real. OH and someone asked why I trained open palm half the video, that was only cuz I cut my knuckle open and I didn't wanna mutilate it :D......and the headbutt was a joke for my friend he talks about head butting the bag all the time haha.

I'm surprised nobodies said anything about the opening song haha

Anyways Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it, I'll try my hardest to get in with a real gym or trainer....but if I can't I'll HAVE to learn from videos, and by ya'lls input, I shall try my best!

Thanks!
bayonetxwork
10/22/08 6:37:06PM

Posted by MMA_Juggalo
OH and someone asked why I trained open palm half the video, that was only cuz I cut my knuckle open and I didn't wanna mutilate it :D
/QUOTE]

Get some gloves man. Atleast bag gloves, hell I'm surprised your punching bag didn't come with bag gloves lol