Herb Dean hoped Nogueira would submit before break

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Herb Dean hoped Nogueira would submit before break
emfleek
12/20/11 9:13:04AM
In professional mixed martial arts a referee is only trained to react after damage has been done, not to prevent it when a submission is being applied. The thought being that these two professionals are being paid a lot of money sometimes and can make their own decision on whether or not to submit.

That said, referees can still have opinions and thoughts on what they hope happens, and more often than not would prefer to see each combatant make it through a fight without serious injury.

LINK
Lesnar1
12/20/11 9:53:08AM
Herb's the best ref in the biz, and It seems Herb & Frank are destined to be in the octogan together at times when Mir snaps his opponents arm, Tim Sylvia was the first one, where Herb saw the snap and made an excellent stoppage if he didn't step in Tim's arm would have been in much worse shape, and the recent Nogueira snappage where Herb did a pretty good job, he gave Nog all the chances to escape and let go so far as his arm would break.
MisterFreeze
12/20/11 12:47:10PM
Frank "The Bone Snapper" Mir!!
Twenty20Dollars
12/20/11 1:08:39PM
I hoped Nog would have just pounded out Mir insteading of trying to get the choke, then he probably would have won.
Budgellism
12/20/11 2:31:52PM
He knew Nog wasn't going to tap. Everyone knew that. As soon as Mir locked on that kimura I gritted my teeth, looked up to the big screen and waited for the inevitable.
Boo_Radley21
12/20/11 2:40:30PM
Poor guy has seen 2 bad breaks by Mir now
viceroid
12/20/11 3:26:27PM
The adrenaline of the fight prevent the pain so you dont know its going to broke until you hear the sound...trust me Ive heard it from El Guapo Bas Rutten!
prozacnation1978
12/20/11 3:54:20PM
Big nog would never submit
calitrees
12/20/11 4:06:20PM
All i could think when they were rolling is "hes not going to tap, Franks gonna snap it." then low and behold snapped. Ive only watched the replay once though not really my thing, listening to the reaction of my friends as they repeatedly showed it was enough for me.

But yeah Herbs the best ref ou there for sure.
kingsmasher
12/20/11 4:41:32PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Big nog would never submit

And that can turn out to be a problem....oh it did...
Theoutlaw08
12/20/11 5:16:43PM
For some reason i have respect for guys that don't submit and get there bones snapped or choked out cold......it shows something about their character something....maybe Im just talking out of my ass....long day at work.
bjj1605
12/21/11 3:44:46PM
This situation was similar to when Hughes fought Royce Gracie.

Both times, respected brazilian jiu jitsu blackbelts refused to tap thanks to machismo/pride.

Hughes decided to move on to something else. Mir stuck with what he had.
KungFuMaster
12/21/11 6:20:02PM
I think Herb Dean did everything right in that fight. Mir locked the Kimura and Nog tried to counter it by rolling and it was re-countered by Mir. Herb Dean knows all this and was just waiting to see who would prevail and in this case, Mir did and sank in the hold with more authority to try to end the fight. I happen to think a lot of fighters to go war with not the intention to end careers but only to win. Mir is not a career ending fighter. He simply does what he knows best unlike a few fighters whose names I will not mention for fear of starting a discussion that will never end.
mrsmiley
12/21/11 8:36:23PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

For some reason i have respect for guys that don't submit and get there bones snapped or choked out cold......it shows something about their character something....maybe Im just talking out of my ass....long day at work.

I feel the same way. It's obviously not a smart thing to do but I always remember what Renzo said about not submitting to Saku. He said he felt he would only need one arm to defeat him.