Herb Dean...hate him or love him?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Herb Dean...hate him or love him?
POLL: Herb Dean is the worst at calling fights?
Yes 27% (11)
No 73% (30)
babytater03
3/2/08 1:46:38AM
Is it just me or does Herb Dean seem about 2 seconds ahead of a call?

I throw this question at the feet of the council.
MikeBillotto
3/2/08 1:48:42AM
no way. sakara was out, we all know it he knows it and obviously leben knows it so no he isnt ahead.
d_block07
3/2/08 1:50:11AM
herbs the best they got now that johns gone, hes got the most experience. Hes a hell of a lot better the dan mirigliatta who let kongo just stand there and lift his legs like that voer herring for like a minute. where the hell was mazzagatti tonight anyways?
gartface
3/2/08 1:52:18AM

Posted by MikeBillotto

no way. sakara was out, we all know it he knows it and obviously leben knows it so no he isnt ahead.

If he was unconscious how did he intelligently pull guard, and begin to cover his face as the fight was stopped.
I found it to be a premature stoppage, and felt bad for Sakara.
Most of the time when a guy is "out", they aren't even up for the winner announcement. Sakara was wide awake and fully aware when Leben's hand was raised.

Complete BS.
jiujitsufreak74
3/2/08 1:55:45AM
herb was fine tonight imo. the ref that got me really agitated was the one reffing the Kongo/Herring fight. i must have counted at least 10 times where Kongo repeatedly hit Herring in the back of the head and the referee didn't even warn him. Lesnar gets a point deducted but apparantly Kongo can go around kneeing people in the nuts and smashing his opponent in the back of the head. anyway, the thing that really bothered me in that fight was when Herring was on his back waiting for the ref to stand him up, but the ref just stood their like an idiot. the crowd was booing, Herring was looking at him, Kongo was just being weird for not backing up further and the ref just stood their. he should have known to stand Heath up in that situation and i was disappointed in how much time he wasted until he finally realized he should stand them up. other than that i had no problems with the referees.
ufcboss
3/2/08 2:03:33AM
OK, The Leben fight was stopped a little too quick, But Herb made a good call.

Off topic, But also in steve's defence, I watched Baroni V Shamrock last night, And Steve took 1 point away to Shamrock as soon as he hit Baroni in the back of the head.

I think the Ref's are doing a great job.

roger
3/2/08 2:36:25AM
he calls fight to soon let the guy get beat up a little thay have been hit harder when they were standing
bullettdodger
3/2/08 2:36:59AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by MikeBillotto

If he was unconscious how did he intelligently pull guard, and begin to cover his face as the fight was stopped.
Most of the time when a guy is "out", they aren't even up for the winner announcement. Sakara was wide awake and fully aware when Leben's hand was raised.

Complete BS.

Just because Sakara wasn't out, he still had a really lose and quite open guard and wasn't doing much in the way of defense when Leben was pounding away on his head. In my opinion Sakara just wilted under the pressure and gave up. I think Herb saw this and chose to end the fight.
Kpro
3/2/08 3:33:41AM
7 unblocked/unanswered punches.

Yes, I counted..

Excellent stoppage.
Svartorm
3/2/08 4:05:24AM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by gartface

Posted by MikeBillotto

Complete BS.

Just because Sakara wasn't out, he still had a really lose and quite open guard and wasn't doing much in the way of defense when Leben was pounding away on his head. In my opinion Sakara just wilted under the pressure and gave up. I think Herb saw this and chose to end the fight.

Exactly. Sakara WAS going to closed guard, but Leben hit him when leaping at him and his legs hit the mat. Just because I guy starts arguing doesn't mean he wasn't out of it. I've seen boxers arguing with the ref about a stoppage while hanging out of the ring.
Jackelope
3/2/08 4:49:35AM
I've always thought Herb stops fights just a bit too early. Honestly, though... as much as it pisses me off sometimes, he DOES have the fighter's safety as #1, and I guess that's good. Sometimes Herb pisses me off, though.
seanfu
3/2/08 11:29:25AM
He stops fights yoo early but so do most. They should probably stick him in with the new guys. The undercard.

On the other hand it's a matter of what your thoughts are, herb Dean was a fighter so he knows exactly what is going on.

Do you want to see someone get beaten into a knockout when he can't defend himself as well as he should? I do but I think he's right for non title fights and lower level guys.
MALICE
3/2/08 11:43:03AM
Herb does have the rep for stopping fights early. But I dont think this fight was stopped early.

Sakara was:
Rocked (mouthpiece almost flew out)
Dropped
Hit twice while on his knees falling to his back
Hit once while on back with no defense
Hit twice while on back with no defense
Hit three times on back with no defense while not pulling guard but pulling fetal position which everyone has seen time and time again with rocked downed opponents not defending themselves. They receive a few unanswerd blows bring their hands up to their face, knees closer to their body, and roll to the side, which is what I believe Sakara would have done next. IMO

Good stop by Herb recognising Sakara pull the fetal position.

cmill21
3/2/08 11:54:45AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

herb was fine tonight imo. the ref that got me really agitated was the one reffing the Kongo/Herring fight. i must have counted at least 10 times where Kongo repeatedly hit Herring in the back of the head and the referee didn't even warn him. Lesnar gets a point deducted but apparantly Kongo can go around kneeing people in the nuts and smashing his opponent in the back of the head. anyway, the thing that really bothered me in that fight was when Herring was on his back waiting for the ref to stand him up, but the ref just stood their like an idiot. the crowd was booing, Herring was looking at him, Kongo was just being weird for not backing up further and the ref just stood their. he should have known to stand Heath up in that situation and i was disappointed in how much time he wasted until he finally realized he should stand them up. other than that i had no problems with the referees.

Yeah I thought Herb's stoppage was a good one. Everyone I was watching the fight with was like "ohhh, back of the head" when Kongo was dropping elbows and punches, I just shook my head and said "Kongo can cheat all the time apperently". Also the weird axe kick loops me made were weird, he just did that to stall, he didn't want to be anywhere near standing last night.
gartface
3/2/08 12:34:20PM
He cheats a lot. I have no problem with someone doing something within the rules, even if it's frowned upon, but to knee the nuts and to hit the back of the head.
Imagine if Mazzagatti was reffing that fight.
bls1919
3/2/08 5:19:04PM
Herb Dean is a good ref. Always has been. There wil always be controversial calls. All in all i like herb. I do like Yeves Lagvine better i think he is the best in the biz since Big John left
Arlovski_Tko
3/4/08 3:33:23PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by MikeBillotto

Complete BS.

It looked likt what happend in QJ/Chuck 2. Leben knocked him out but the second last shot woke him up. Sakaras hands were at his side until the last punch. Good stoppage.
bezun
3/4/08 4:22:08PM
I would say yves lavign is the worst. Or Cecil Peoples
D0wnUnd6e6r
3/4/08 5:23:29PM
Ok I know i gotta read post before i respond... but why would anybody hate herb dean?
Rush
3/4/08 10:02:36PM
If you've ever been knocked out or choked out, you would know that most of the time you don't know what happened.

I thought it was a good call. Maybe Herb could have let one more punch land, but I don't think it would have made a difference.
NatedawgThaM
3/4/08 10:13:58PM

Posted by Kpro

7 unblocked/unanswered punches.

Yes, I counted..

Excellent stoppage.

Sakara didn't defend any of those punches. He took the two punches the knocked him down, 3-4 while he was on the ground trying to spin to guard and then three clean shots to the face while he was in open guard.

Excellent stoppage. I for one can't stand Yamasaki. The dude let Robbie Lawler almost kill Ninja with like 10 punches after Ninja was already out. He let Florian keep hitting Din in the back of the head at the end of that fight that set up the RNC finish.

Herb Dean does just fine. I still don't understand why people argue the second Tito/Ken fight. Tito slammed him and was elbowing the hell out of him and Ken wasn't protecting himself taking unanswered shots. Herb is the best referee the got IMO since Big John left.
casey64
3/4/08 10:21:36PM

Posted by d_block07

herbs the best they got now that johns gone, hes got the most experience. Hes a hell of a lot better the dan mirigliatta who let kongo just stand there and lift his legs like that voer herring for like a minute. where the hell was mazzagatti tonight anyways?