hendo @ welterweight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » hendo @ welterweight?
JunCTion
4/15/07 1:33:30AM
with his recent success, could/would/should, dan henderson take a shot at a welterweight belt. with the new pride, wont they be reconfiguring the weight classes? so there will be a welterweight belt open.
mkiv9secsupra
4/15/07 2:07:19AM
if he thinks he can cut that low then go for it...but he is just gonna get submitted or KTFO....
pv3Hpv3p
4/15/07 4:10:19AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

if he thinks he can cut that low then go for it...but he is just gonna get submitted or KTFO....

C'mon now... Because that's what happens to him when he fights in higher weight classes or what?

Hendo's never been KO'd... What makes you think that someone smaller would be able to pull it off?
hippysmacker
4/15/07 4:33:56AM
Could he do it? sure, but I think he'll be busy enough defending against Shogun and Filho to even consider it. It would be bad business from an organizational standpoint also. It's hard enough to defend 2 belts and limits their headlining possibilities.Hendo's the man, but I think a year from now he will only have the middleweight belt.
pv3Hpv3p
4/15/07 4:37:07AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Could he do it? sure, but I think he'll be busy enough defending against Shogun and Filho to even consider it. It would be bad business from an organizational standpoint also. It's hard enough to defend 2 belts and limits their headlining possibilities.Hendo's the man, but I think a year from now he will only have the middleweight belt.

I think it depends on what he really prepares himself for... I'll agree that I don't think that he will hold both belts, but IMO if he decides to concentrate on his 205 belt that he would give anyone trouble
hippysmacker
4/15/07 5:22:53AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by hippysmacker

I think it depends on what he really prepares himself for... I'll agree that I don't think that he will hold both belts, but IMO if he decides to concentrate on his 205 belt that he would give anyone trouble

Agreed, but I think he really is a middleweight and should stick at that weight IMO. Guys like Hendo, Sakuraba should take all the advantages they can get. Otherwise Hendo might end up like Sakuraba. He has taken beatings from too many guys out of his weight class IMo , and n eeds to retire. Legends have nothing to prove, and he is one of the biggest.
Northrend
4/15/07 6:53:21AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

What?!!?!

Took Nog a longass time to sub him, last round I believe and he is 1 of the best if not the best mma submission Heavyweight in the world. Wanderlei a 205 lb heavy hitter couldn't KO him. Hughes/GSP would never take him to the ground and could EASILY KO anyone in that division. I don't think he can cut that low but if he did he would beat everyone in the division imho.
tepid55
4/15/07 5:40:34PM
I would rather see Henderson at 185 and/or 205.
Juggernaut
4/15/07 8:52:23PM

Posted by tepid55

I would rather see Henderson at 185 and/or 205.

me too, but I would like to see him fight GSP and shut him up
mkiv9secsupra
4/15/07 11:09:25PM

Posted by Northrend

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

What?!!?!

Took Nog a longass time to sub him, last round I believe and he is 1 of the best if not the best mma submission Heavyweight in the world. Wanderlei a 205 lb heavy hitter couldn't KO him. Hughes/GSP would never take him to the ground and could EASILY KO anyone in that division. I don't think he can cut that low but if he did he would beat everyone in the division imho.

but transitioning between three different weight classes would take a huge toll on his body. Hughes could take him down in a minute....hell frank shamrock can take him down...GSP has no reason to take him down...i think hendo couldnt do anything to karo parisyan. hendo puts his full body weight into everything. With judo like karo's hendo would spend 75% of the fight on his back.
ButterBalls
4/16/07 12:01:32AM
no reason to do it for him...he isn't going to make any more money fighting down there, and there isn't much pride in beating guys smaller than you.
Northrend
4/19/07 2:45:53AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Northrend

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

What?!!?!

but transitioning between three different weight classes would take a huge toll on his body. Hughes could take him down in a minute....hell frank shamrock can take him down...GSP has no reason to take him down...i think hendo couldnt do anything to karo parisyan. hendo puts his full body weight into everything. With judo like karo's hendo would spend 75% of the fight on his back.

Even if Hendo was sucked DRY he could still beat everyone you just mentioned. He's an olympic wrestler, Matt Hughes is not. Also he would still be really strong, just gas faster IMO if he cut weight but this will never happen cause him fighting at 170/185/205 would be insane.
roadking95th
4/19/07 11:14:01AM
I agree that it would be ridiculous for Hendo to move down, at least while he has two other belts. I don't know if he could make it though, only he does.

I love Hughes, but come on, Hendo is world class in wrestling, Hughes isn't even nationally ranked. Hughes has great wrestling for MMA because most fighters aren't good at wrestling. Koscheck would school Hughes in a wrestling match. I guess I should clarify wrestling as being Folkstyle, Greco-Roman, or Freestyle.

Hendo is, what, 37? He has enough intrigueing match-ups at 180 and 205 to last the rest of his career.

I, personally, would rather see him move to HW.