Will Hendo Stand With the Spider?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Will Hendo Stand With the Spider?
POLL: Will Hendo Stand With the Spider?
Yes, Dan will slug it out. 26% (14)
At first, but then he'll take Silva down. 65% (35)
No, Anderson is going straight down. 9% (5)
gsquat
2/22/08 4:23:42PM
So who thinks Dan Henderson will give Anderson Silva, what I see as, his only chance to beat him? Who thinks he'll stand and trade shots with him instead of going straight to the clinch or the ground? For me, every second he stays on his feet is a chance for Anderson to end the fight. I think he'll win if he fights Silva with his wrestling. If he doesn't, its probably lights out.
babalu2720
2/22/08 4:32:28PM
Dan will take him right down within the first minute or two. He knows that he does not want to trade and he has accused Anderson of being overhyped because all of the guys he faced were not wrestlers and were good matchups for him. With that said I think Dan goes to the mat right away.
Pookie
2/22/08 4:34:41PM
i think silva has the tools to beat him into wariness, but not unconsciousness. hendo could stand with him, but he'll go for the clinch and start unloading dirty boxing and knees to the thighs to limit explosiveness.
gsquat
2/22/08 4:41:29PM
I've switched back and forth countless times now, and I have Hendo at the moment, but seeing that he stood with people like Wandy makes me think twice about picking him.
Pookie
2/22/08 4:45:01PM

Posted by gsquat

I've switched back and forth countless times now, and I have Hendo at the moment, but seeing that he stood with people like Wandy makes me think twice about picking him.

he also won the stand-up with wandy
postman
2/22/08 4:52:20PM
This wil be in a Greco clinch most of the night Anderson is too long to stand on the outside
bullettdodger
2/22/08 4:54:23PM

Posted by postman

This wil be in a Greco clinch most of the night Anderson is too long to stand on the outside

Unless Anderson gets his gnarly Thai clinch... that might end things a little bit quicker
gsquat
2/22/08 4:56:19PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by gsquat

But do you consider Wandy as good a striker and Anderson? Anderson is certainly more accurate (mostly because almost all he throws are straight punches). I dunno. The polling percentages is a perfect representation of how hard this fight is to pick for me. I'm just wondering if he'll decide to take Silva down after he eats a few shots, but by then it may be too late.
Pookie
2/22/08 4:59:51PM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by Pookie

Posted by gsquat

But do you consider Wandy as good a striker and Anderson? Anderson is certainly more accurate (mostly because almost all he throws are straight punches). I dunno. The polling percentages is a perfect representation of how hard this fight is to pick for me. I'm just wondering if he'll decide to take Silva down after he eats a few shots, but by then it may be too late.

not as good a striker technically speaking, but certainly as dangerous for anyone who likes to continually come forward like hendo does. And his clinch is more Dangerous IMO.
Silva is just more well-rounded and accurate, and has the reach to impose his fantastic striking on anyone.
pv3Hpv3p
2/22/08 5:06:47PM
i don't think Henderson's got anything to prove standing the entire fight with Anderson... But I also don't see him shying away from trading with Silva...

Dan's a very intelligent fighter... He won't try to muscle a TD, and he won't try to force the standup if he starts getting dotted up too bad... Hendo's got a shit-ton of experience on his side and will take what is givin to him in this fight, plain and simple
seanfu
2/22/08 5:24:19PM
Dan stands, Dan falls.

Hendo is going to slug it out and play a mental game by eating shots and walking through. The first round will exite. He'll endup clinching and overpowering, as well as neutralizing Silvas shots.

The bell will ring for round 2. The spider is going to end up seeing an opening at some point when Hendo is tired or using a predictable pattern for a head kick. He'll take it and finish Dan with a combination of hands and feet.
Pookie
2/22/08 5:28:43PM
You think dan's going to tire in the second round?
sillysnail
2/22/08 5:41:50PM
hendo could stand with silva, but it opens up a lot of unnecessary risk. although i think its much more likely for hendo to ko silva than for silva to ko hendo, if he really wants to win this fight, he shouldnt let this become a boxing match. silva will land more blows by virtue of his style, which will make a definite impression on the judges.

hendo would be best suited to close the distance, press silva on the cage, and break him open with the dirty boxing. silva will have to spend more time trying to get separation this way. anything thats keeping silva from swinging is a good thing. plus, i wouldnt be surprised to see hendo catch silva with the haymaker when hes trying to get separation. if all else fails, hendo can take him down and work the gnp, but even that is dangerous.

close the distance, throw hooks/uppercuts/elbows, and piece together combos when he tries to separate. gg

Franklinfan47
2/22/08 6:24:24PM
If hendo is stupid he'll stand with silva
NewGuy
2/22/08 6:30:40PM
If hendo wants to win, hendo shoud look to take the fight to the ground asap
cmill21
2/22/08 6:45:39PM
You guys have a low opinion on Dan's stand up lol. Andersons striking is very nice, crisp and accurate, but it's not without it's flaws. They both have granite chins, and very good power. Dans boxing is acctually pretty good, so I do believe he'll stand, but it Anderson trys for the clinch dan will do the same and take him down. Remember Dan's been submitted in the past though, and it happend against Andersons training partner, so the grounds not without it's dangers. I see Hendo doing what he needs to do to win, and I don't see this one ending up on a highlight, it will be a war IMO.
loller90278
2/22/08 11:07:05PM
if he does stand with anderson, which i have no doubt that he will, i think he'll knock him out flat with his huge right hook.

if it goes to the ground, his wrestling will neautralize silva's BJJ and eventually GnP a victory.

would anybody like to make an avatar bet on this fight ??
bls1919
2/23/08 12:14:08AM
Hendo is going to feel him out. If he thinks he can stand with him he will. he Took a lot of punishment when he fought Page. I dont think Spider hits harder than Rampage. And silva is listed as my favorite fighter.........so what do i do i am actually picking hendo to win i think it will be a late Sub by Dan
postman
2/23/08 3:06:32AM

Posted by seanfu

Dan stands, Dan falls.

Hendo is going to slug it out and play a mental game by eating shots and walking through. The first round will exite. He'll endup clinching and overpowering, as well as neutralizing Silvas shots.

The bell will ring for round 2. The spider is going to end up seeing an opening at some point when Hendo is tired or using a predictable pattern for a head kick. He'll take it and finish Dan with a combination of hands and feet.

Dan went five with Page all of a sudden he is going to gas in #2? Not to mention I don't rember Anderson putting anyone down with a head kick.
Pressure
2/23/08 10:12:59AM
I beleive he will stand up and throw to begin the fight, I dont think we shoud underestimate Dans standup! I believe Dan will be too strong for Anderson. However I enjoy watching Anderson Silva and I beleive in his beautiful and deadly strikes. Should be a war no matter how long it lasts.
Jackelope
2/23/08 1:00:54PM
Rarely has Dan not been willing to trade shots with anybody. He's going to want to feel out Anderson's power, just like he did with Wandy. If he thinks he can stand with that power (and he's very smart) he'll stand with it. If he thinks he can't, he'll get out of that situation. The only thing that makes this different than Wandy (Dangerous clinch game, good striker, good ground game on both) is Wandy is known for power KO's whereas Silva is known for playing "body percussion" to get a KO. Wandy will knock you out with KO power, but Silva will dismantle you and end it with a flurry of punches until the ref stops it.

All that being said- It will be a ******* war, and a war that I can't wait to see. I know Dan's chin is strong enough to shrug off a KO shot, but I'm not entirely convinced he won't get dazed enough by a flurry of shots for the ref to stop it. I'm still picking Hendo to win by virtue of 5 rd war (Silva hasn't fought a 5 round fight and gone the distance....ever) but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1st and 2nd round go to Silva.

It should also be said that I believe Hendo has the power to score a one punch KO on Anderson, but as I said before I don't think Anderson possesses that against Dan.

One more thing- LOL @ the dude who said Hendo will gas in round 2. LOLOLOL
XblacksheepX
2/23/08 3:03:20PM
In my opinion some of the comparisons made not really fit to the fight. Wandy for example is a complete different striker than silva is (except for the thai clinch). wandy is a wild brawler slugging from the outside (you could see that very good in the fight against liddell), while silva is very technical and has various moves in his arsenal. Also silvas striking is very different to rampages. rampage was close to finish hendo in the last round, so hendos definitely can be k.o.ed. The huge skill of hendo is to keep his chin down and not getting hit with too hard punches. I think silva is able to take that away from him. he has mostly to worry about hendos right hand.
Silva is probably not that powerful like rampage, but way more technical with his variousity, accuracy and reach advantage. He is using his reach to aim the impact perfectly right behind the head of his opponents, and that technique is what makes it so effective. Watch the fight against Marquardt, how fast he was out from just one or two punches. And Marquardt was never knocked out before that fight..

The only way i see hendo winning this is by using his wrestling to frustrate silva with his base and lay and pray for five rounds and winning a decision. That infact, would be a very boring fight though, so i hope silva use his skills and knock hendo out in the later rounds...
sillysnail
2/23/08 3:08:14PM

Posted by Jackelope

Rarely has Dan not been willing to trade shots with anybody. He's going to want to feel out Anderson's power, just like he did with Wandy. If he thinks he can stand with that power (and he's very smart) he'll stand with it. If he thinks he can't, he'll get out of that situation. The only thing that makes this different than Wandy (Dangerous clinch game, good striker, good ground game on both) is Wandy is known for power KO's whereas Silva is known for playing "body percussion" to get a KO. Wandy will knock you out with KO power, but Silva will dismantle you and end it with a flurry of punches until the ref stops it.

All that being said- It will be a ******* war, and a war that I can't wait to see. I know Dan's chin is strong enough to shrug off a KO shot, but I'm not entirely convinced he won't get dazed enough by a flurry of shots for the ref to stop it. I'm still picking Hendo to win by virtue of 5 rd war (Silva hasn't fought a 5 round fight and gone the distance....ever) but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1st and 2nd round go to Silva.

It should also be said that I believe Hendo has the power to score a one punch KO on Anderson, but as I said before I don't think Anderson possesses that against Dan.

and you know whats even funnier, dan HAS gone the distance and silva HASN'T. if there are any uncertainties about someones gas tank, it's about silva, not hendo. some people say very uninformed, unintelligent things.

i imagine that by round 4 or 5, silva's famed crisp/fast/accurate striking will look a little less tight. it doesn't matter who you are, trying to maintain striking like that for 25 minutes is just not possible.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/23/08 3:15:50PM
I SURE HOPE HE WILL STAND WITH HIM. I DONT WANNA SEE ANOTHER LAY N PRAY ALA RAMPAGE AND HENDERSON.
Jackelope
2/23/08 10:30:14PM

Posted by XblacksheepX

In my opinion some of the comparisons made not really fit to the fight. Wandy for example is a complete different striker than silva is (except for the thai clinch). wandy is a wild brawler slugging from the outside (you could see that very good in the fight against liddell), while silva is very technical and has various moves in his arsenal. Also silvas striking is very different to rampages. rampage was close to finish hendo in the last round, so hendos definitely can be k.o.ed. The huge skill of hendo is to keep his chin down and not getting hit with too hard punches. I think silva is able to take that away from him. he has mostly to worry about hendos right hand.
Silva is probably not that powerful like rampage, but way more technical with his variousity, accuracy and reach advantage. He is using his reach to aim the impact perfectly right behind the head of his opponents, and that technique is what makes it so effective. Watch the fight against Marquardt, how fast he was out from just one or two punches. And Marquardt was never knocked out before that fight..

The only way i see hendo winning this is by using his wrestling to frustrate silva with his base and lay and pray for five rounds and winning a decision. That infact, would be a very boring fight though, so i hope silva use his skills and knock hendo out in the later rounds...

You're absolutely right about the difference in Wandy and Anderson's punching style. I alluded to it in my post, but I guess I didn't clarify it enough. Anderson Silva will play "body percussion" and by that I mean throw tight, accurate punches in good combinations and in high numbers. Wandy is a KO power kind of guy, still with good standup, but he definitely doesn't throw as clean of shots as Anderson Silva. When I made the comparison between the two what I was saying is that they both have a very real and dangerous game on their feet, and both of their styles are set up so that if someone gets in close to them they can throw on the thai clinch and rain hell fire and brimstone down on their opponents.

If there's anything about Dan's wrestling style that will make the difference here it's his ability to compose himself in the clinch correctly, and to be able to take Anderson Silva down at will. Once he gets on the ground he's going to run into difficulty from Silva's active guard (unless he can pin him against the fence, which will play Hendo's strength advantage into the equation) but my thoughts are that he's going to feel out Anderson's power, and if he thinks he can handle it he'll mostly control the fight through 3 or 4 rounds and then look for the overhand right KO against the Octagon in late rounds.
sonicsmokesweed
2/24/08 5:20:06AM
If he takes Anderson down he's getting submitted for sure. The match is not going pass the second round i have Anderson winning by knockout or submission.
Kastro
2/24/08 2:52:08PM
I remember before the Wandy fight everyone was doubting if Hendo would stand with him... and look what happened.

Dan has a very strong Greco Roman wrestling game and a serious right hand, as he will also be (most likely) stronger than Silva... however, Silva has the reach and accurate strikes to end the fight at any given time as well as the ability to use punches, knee's, and high/low kicks with ease...

Im a big fan of Silva's and want him to win, however I keep on thinking of that Travis Lutter fight where Silva was taken down pretty much with ease and almost lost (yes, I think at one point there if it wasnt for Lutter going for that arm the ref was about to stop the fight) the fight after Lutter mounted him and started to GNP... Henderson is a very good wrestler and I think he will present some serious problems to Silva on the ground (if the fight goes there), hopefully Silva is aware of this and doesn't leave himself open like he has in his other fights..

Im very excited to see this fight nonetheless, it could go either way at any time and I can promise one thing for everyone it is going to be very exciting - they ay styles make fights and this is a perfect example, if Silva wins he is no doubt the best MW fighter on the planet if Dan wins he will show us that we were wrong about Silva and that he is the real deal not only @ 205 but 185 as well..

Cant wait for this fight to happen, certainly not one that you bet a lot of money on!

balack_o-bama
3/10/08 5:28:04PM

Posted by sillysnail

and you know whats even funnier, dan HAS gone the distance and silva HASN'T. if there are any uncertainties about someones gas tank, it's about silva, not hendo. some people say very uninformed, unintelligent things.

i imagine that by round 4 or 5, silva's famed crisp/fast/accurate striking will look a little less tight. it doesn't matter who you are, trying to maintain striking like that for 25 minutes is just not possible.

Just thought I'd ask you what your feelings are now of little old Andy and Danny boy now that you've seen it? hahahaha