Hendo media day

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Hendo media day
PunchyMcGee
2/20/08 7:28:04PM
Dan Henderson held an open workout for the media on Wednesday at his Team Quest Gym in Murrieta.

Here is some of what he had to say:

On Silva being considered the top MMA fighter pound-for-pound in the world by a number of publications and Web sites:

“I think that’s great. I’ve already said my piece about it. I think he is a tough guy and very skilled but I wouldn’t consider him the top pound-for-pound fighter, just because I’ve seen more of his past than what the U.S. crowd has in the UFC. The guys he’s fought in the UFC really compliment his style. I expected him to walk through most of those guys. He’s very skilled on his feet. The guys he’s fought aren’t very good wrestlers.”

On the new DREAM promotion in Japan which was put together by Fight Entertainment Group and former PRIDE staffers:

“I think there are two promotions starting. There’s DREAM and World Victory Road. I think it’s great for the sport. I think a lot of fans miss having PRIDE and that production, not necessarily the fighters and they fights they put on. There are top fighters in most of the organizations now, but the production is what I miss most. It will be good to watch that just as a fan now. I’m in the UFC for a while.”

On the possibility of competing in DREAM’s Middleweight Grand Prix:

“I won’t be fighting in it unless the UFC sends me over. I think that’s good for the sport. It gives fighters another avenue to go out there and make some money and make a name for themselves. It’s tough with so many fighters and only one big organization in the world.

“I’m not overly fond of fighting in tournaments anymore. I’ve been there and done that. My first nine fights were tournaments and multiple fights in a night. A lot of the fights in my career have been tournaments. I’m not fond of those. I’d rather focus on one guy, especially at the point of my career where I am right now. It enables me to really focus on that one opponent. When you fight multiple times in one night, you are not able to be specific to an opponent when you are training. There is a greater chance of losing a fight that way. I’ve got a little bit more to lose than I did in the past. We’ll see. It’s not necessarily about that. It’s about fighting twice in one night that I’m not fond of.”

To check out the entire interview and listen to the audio of the interview, which is about 20 minutes, click this link:

http://punch.freedomblogging.com/2008/02/20/dan-henderson-media-day/#more-652
roman
2/20/08 8:49:33PM
That was a pretty funny interview. Henderson will show everyone that Silva is not the top pound for pound fighter in the world. I can't wait that's for sure, it will be a sweet ass fight.

"It wasn't pulling teeth. I already lost my teeth. He couldn't do much of that."