If Hendo loses?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » If Hendo loses?
rabbit915
2/7/08 11:33:16AM
What do you think Dan Henderson will do if he loses to Anderson Silva. Will he continue to fight at MW or go back up to LHW or what?
StevenSeagal
2/7/08 11:36:17AM
I read an interview that he is staying at MW. Thats what him and Dana agreed on. I have to look for the interview, but i just read it like 2 days ago
postman
2/7/08 11:37:14AM
that suprises me since he had to be talked into droping down.
pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 11:42:42AM

Posted by postman

It's a little surprising, but Dan's at that weird weight where he's a small LH and has to cut alot for MW... Kinda like Mayhem is inbetween welter and middle...

I like how MMA has less divisions than boxing and wouldn't want that to change, but it's too bad for some of these guys that don't fall into the weight seperations well
fullerene
2/7/08 11:47:55AM
I'm not sure what big matchups are left for Henderson if he loses to Silva to be honest. He's been one of the top p4p guys IMO for a while, but a loss to the champ in two divisions for a guy who's already been at the top only leaves so many options. I think the most sensible fight would be a rematch with W. Silva which I assume would be at LHW. Maybe they would match him up with Franklin, but it's tough to put either on a path to fight Anderson Silva again.
StevenSeagal
2/7/08 11:54:38AM
Here is the link to the interview where he talks about Silva and his weight...

link
pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 12:03:50PM

Posted by StevenSeagal

link

Thanks for the interview... Does that mean we can take Hendo off of the LHW rankings now?
StevenSeagal
2/7/08 12:25:56PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by StevenSeagal

link

Thanks for the interview... Does that mean we can take Hendo off of the LHW rankings now?

you never know. Dana and him probably talked under the assumption that he would win. If he does lose, and there is a change in LHW belt.... He may want a shot at that after he got a couple wins in MW after the hypothetical Anderson loss
billycarnage
2/7/08 1:30:53PM
I am just going to count on him winning.
Boo_Radley21
2/7/08 1:56:09PM

Posted by billycarnage

I am just going to count on him winning.

Yea I don't think he'll lose but I did read that he wants to stay at MW and it seemed like his decision but you never know. He was talking about how after thinking about it more he wanted to fight in that division.
StevenSeagal
2/7/08 2:16:29PM
Def the hardest fight to call for quite some time IMO..
Mayhem13
2/7/08 2:34:25PM
if he does lose, I dont know who he would face after that at MW...

Franklin or Okami???

or maybe the winner of Leben and Sakara....??

it just seems that he and silva are on another level then the rest of that division..
Manfred
2/7/08 2:51:15PM
LHW is pretty stacked right now. There are a lot of huge guys there too. Forrest, Chuck, Rmapage, Tito, Rashad to name a few are all huge. MW is a good place for him considering the state of the two divisions
Gipper
2/7/08 2:55:30PM
hendo won't lose. he said he's staying at mw.
bayonetxwork
2/7/08 5:12:08PM
Expect him to stay at MW.
jgordon85
2/7/08 7:50:17PM
i think that hollywood henderson is going to lose. but he is better fit for the middleweigh divison. i would like to see henderson vs franklin that would be a good match. silva will stay on stop of the middleweight divison.
atlas777
2/8/08 10:46:49AM
As much as i love him at both weights his added depth to the MW division is a good thing but win or lose who will he fight after Silva?
woodmo
2/8/08 1:11:18PM
Either way, his next fight will be Franklin (IMO) to set up a Silva-Franklin 3 or Silva-Hendo 2 "Redemption" fight card.
StevenSeagal
2/8/08 1:42:54PM

Posted by woodmo

Either way, his next fight will be Franklin (IMO) to set up a Silva-Franklin 3 or Silva-Hendo 2 "Redemption" fight card.

word good call. it has to be
sillysnail
2/8/08 10:55:27PM
if hendo beats silva, it seems almost pointless for him to stay at mw for very long. silva is so far beyond anyone in the mw division if hendo beats him(which i think will happen), the only worthwhile fight would be an immediate rematch. ultimately i see dan at lhw again in the future after 2 or 3 fights at mw.
postman
2/9/08 12:06:46AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by postman

It's a little surprising, but Dan's at that weird weight where he's a small LH and has to cut alot for MW... Kinda like Mayhem is inbetween welter and middle...

I like how MMA has less divisions than boxing and wouldn't want that to change, but it's too bad for some of these guys that don't fall into the weight seperations well

I think a 195 class would be bad ass!
k_lup07
2/9/08 2:12:45PM
if hendo loses he should get some time to recover/weight issues if he has any. have a top tier opponent like previously mentioned, hell most likely run thru, then silva rematch. if he loses, what does silva do? hed be the most dominant mw period.
BlazinSaddle
2/9/08 2:15:32PM

Posted by woodmo

word, i would watch silva dismantle franklin again, also i agree with your assesment of silva/hendo 1 with silva unifying both belts
NatedawgThaM
2/9/08 9:05:11PM
If he stays at MW he's an automatic contender right away since the division has limited talent IMO. He's really the only guy I can see beating Anderson anyway besides Rampage. Either way, he's top 5 in either division.

He would easily destroy Franklin, Marquardt, Okami, and Bisping. At LHW he already beat Wandy, IMO he can beat Machida, Liddell, and Rashad. He's an instant top 5 in either division, but the only problem is he would have lost two both champs so the casual UFC fans will look down on him in the future.

Hendo is one of the best fighters in the world. I just don't know who he pissed off. Rampage and now Anderson? I know he was champs at both weights but I would want to make my name in the UFC first.
cowcatcher
2/9/08 9:10:01PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

If he stays at MW he's an automatic contender right away since the division has limited talent IMO. He's really the only guy I can see beating Anderson anyway besides Rampage. Either way, he's top 5 in either division.

He would easily destroy Franklin, Marquardt, Okami, and Bisping. At LHW he already beat Wandy, IMO he can beat Machida, Liddell, and Rashad. He's an instant top 5 in either division, but the only problem is he would have lost two both champs so the casual UFC fans will look down on him in the future.

Hendo is one of the best fighters in the world. I just don't know who he pissed off. Rampage and now Anderson? I know he was champs at both weights but I would want to make my name in the UFC first.

hendo is very established already man, hes a team quest original which holds some weight, and he was a champ in 2 weight classes in pride, he needs no cans. not to mention he beat allen goes and carlos newton in the ufc and thats nothing to scoff at.
jiujitsufreak74
2/9/08 9:15:37PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

well he had to get rid of his PRIDE belts first. dana wants to unify as many belts as possible so he is making hendo put both of his on the line before he can continue on in the UFC. hendo has a great chance of beating silva and i agree that he is probably the only one who can beat him atm at MW. he is a great fighter, definitely top 3 at MW even with a loss. i currently have him at #2 in MW and #3 at LHW because i don't know which one he will stay at. i know he has said he is most likely going to stay at MW but i take what he says with a grain of salt atm.

i am really looking forward to this fight and i hope that if he does in fact lose this fight that the UFC doesn't miss a beat and gives him another talented fighter because it wouldn't be good for his image if the gave him a can right afterward. i say that if hendo loses, (assuming he stays at MW) give him okami so that he can end his title aspirations, then maybe set him up with franklin or marquardt because both of those guys have recognition. all i know is that if anderson loses i feel bad for rich franklin because they would probably rematch unless silva doesn't want to see franklin get destroyed again.
ncordless
2/10/08 2:11:55AM
It's funny, because Hendo could lose this fight and still be my #5 P4P if it's as competitive as Rampage/Hendo. I would favor Hendo against almost anyone in the LHW divison, and I favor Hendo against everyone in the MW divison including Anderson. But if he loses...

1. I'd like to see him stay at MW where he can't be outsized by some of the huge LHWs like Forrest or Tito(although I'd still give Hendo the edge there).
2. There are some good matches for Hendo. Franklin/Hendo wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense in the immediate title picture, but that's a fight that hasn't happened that needs to before they retire. I'd love to see Hendo beat the living tar out of some of the second-tier fighters at MW. Grove/Hendo makes me giggle uncontrollably.
3. Hendo is getting up there in age. He's 37, and has fought a ton of fights. In his favor, his old team quest buddy Couture is still fighting in his mid-forties. They both come from similar backgrounds, and that may have something to do with longevity. But again, Hendo has fought quite a few more fights than Couture and they could start to take their toll.
4. If Hendo goes back up to LHW, I'd love to see Chuck vs. Hendo. This is another fight that needs to happen before they both retire, if for nothing except history's sake.
cowcatcher
2/10/08 3:35:46AM

Posted by ncordless

It's funny, because Hendo could lose this fight and still be my #5 P4P if it's as competitive as Rampage/Hendo. I would favor Hendo against almost anyone in the LHW divison, and I favor Hendo against everyone in the MW divison including Anderson. But if he loses...

1. I'd like to see him stay at MW where he can't be outsized by some of the huge LHWs like Forrest or Tito(although I'd still give Hendo the edge there).
2. There are some good matches for Hendo. Franklin/Hendo wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense in the immediate title picture, but that's a fight that hasn't happened that needs to before they retire. I'd love to see Hendo beat the living tar out of some of the second-tier fighters at MW. Grove/Hendo makes me giggle uncontrollably.
3. Hendo is getting up there in age. He's 37, and has fought a ton of fights. In his favor, his old team quest buddy Couture is still fighting in his mid-forties. They both come from similar backgrounds, and that may have something to do with longevity. But again, Hendo has fought quite a few more fights than Couture and they could start to take their toll.
4. If Hendo goes back up to LHW, I'd love to see Chuck vs. Hendo. This is another fight that needs to happen before they both retire, if for nothing except history's sake.

brilliant post, i agree 100%.........id give props but i need to spread the love
Jackelope
2/10/08 3:50:21AM
I'm piss drunk right now, but somebody please remind me to bet on Hendo against Silva before the next card... Reading all of this shit in my drunken state has caused me to realize Hendo quite possibly could be unstoppable at MW.

Oh, and somebody said something about Hendo being the only one that can challenge Silva at MW... I disagree cuz of Matt Lindland, but whatever.. he aint and wont be in the UFC any time soon. Damn my typing is good for being piss drunk- goodnight!
sonicsmokesweed
2/10/08 6:11:44AM
if he loses which i think he will. I think he should still stay at middleweight because in reality quinton rampage jackon is too big for him. His frame is best suited for middleweight for sure.