Henderson slams Lesnar’s UFC heavyweight title reign

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Henderson slams Lesnar’s UFC heavyweight title reign
Next Page »
Rampage200
12/3/08 10:11:34AM
Bowen50
12/3/08 10:25:27AM
i think the title of the article is misleading. i'm sure a lot of people on this site and many fighters completely agree with what Hendo said. i'm sure if Brock gets by Nog, assuming he beats Mir, he'll earn everyone's respect.
wapttn
12/3/08 10:48:11AM
agreed... if the hw division was a lot deeper than brock would've never had the title shot so soon, but considering werdum got released from his contract for losing in the first round to a UFC rookie... and brock just beat one of the best hws of all time... how can you say that it was a poor choice? Nogueria and Mir both deserved that title shot over lesnar, but they were already wrapped up in a title match.

With that said, I think that lesnar was a poor choice for couture, and if they wanted couture to keep the belt they would've given him werdum. Matching up couture with lesnar would be like matching up ortiz with liddel... just a bad match up.

And I disagree that only nog and fedor could handle brock. I think that gonzaga and werdum could easily give him a run for his money simple because they're that good off their back. Barnett because he could handle brock's size, is far more well rounded, and has the experience. AA might be able to because he has a great sprawl and the standup that would really test brocks chin. I guess the only people that i dont think could beat him are tim sylvia... which is more along the lines of a maybe, all depending on how he can sprawl with a healthy back, and couture, who i dont think has what it takes to beat lesnar.
wiggum
12/3/08 10:51:22AM

Posted by Bowen50

i think the title of the article is misleading. i'm sure a lot of people on this site and many fighters completely agree with what Hendo said. i'm sure if Brock gets by Nog, assuming he beats Mir, he'll earn everyone's respect.

i agree with hendo.....all potential talent aside, brock got that title shot for the sole purpose of creating a huge marketable heavyweight fight and make money.....im not hating, ufc is a business not a olympic committee and if i headed it, i wouldve done the same....i think beating randy gives him a lot of credibility now, yet with the lack of experience he will have trouble with any heavyweight submission artists....i said going into the randy fight that if brock didnt land the big shot, randy would win...well, brock landed the big shot....power like that and wrestling abilitity like that doesnt not leave too many options other than submission for a win...all the current top strikers in the heavy division dont have the best takedown defense (i miss 3 years ago cro cop) so i dont think he's gonna get tested by one of them either....war nog!!!!!!!!!
brooklynbadass
12/3/08 11:03:51AM
Wahhhhh hendo needs to stop crying. If he is saying there a number of guys out there who would be beat them what does that say about former champ Couture?
Twenty20Dollars
12/3/08 11:05:42AM
Well there is no "real" champ right now only interm champs so his reign can't begin untill he beats Mir or Nogueria.
Darnok
12/3/08 11:08:32AM

Posted by Bowen50

i'm sure if Brock gets by Nog, he'll earn everyone's respect.

But didn't everybody already say if he got by Couture then he would get respect.
EpicTerran
12/3/08 11:11:57AM
I love the choice of words. Henderson really SLAMMED him there. Jesus if that's slamming than I think everybody slams everyday all day.
postman
12/3/08 12:01:52PM
I keep seeing the only way Brock will get beat is by sub how abouth the gash Randy put on him with very few punches? It seems to me that he cuts rather easy. Thoughts?
ncordless
12/3/08 12:16:51PM
Henderson doesn't slam him in that article... and the article is trash.

There should be laws against titles that misleading or reporting that bad. I especially dislike how he takes Hendo's words and then switches over to his own opinions in a way that can mislead the reader.

It reads like a post on a forum, not a news article.
bjj1605
12/3/08 12:29:59PM
I think its absurd to say he can only loose by submission. I see any decent striker with a good sprawl beating brock. Randy got caught, but he was technically outclassing Brock. Brock was lucky (not a lucky punch, just lucky) that the fight ended when it did. The longer it went and the more he gassed the better chance Randy had of TKOing him. I think Mir or Nog will sub him (probably Nog). I think Gonzaga, Fedor, AA, Josh Barnett, or even old Chuck would have a good chance at him too. I'm not even sure he'd take Cain Velasquez, Shane Carwin or any of the good up and coming guys.

He has potential, yes. He has size and wrestling ability. But that doesn't not make him the best HW in the world. Nor does a 3-1 record. If the UFC is supposed to have the best fighters, and the title holder is the best in his weight, that means Brock should be the best HW in the world. Whether you agree that he would get beat by the guys I listed or not you have to admit he's very untested. He's beaten a nobody, an experienced journeyman/ B-level fighter, and had one good fight against an over the hill randy couture. Does that make him the greatest HW in the world? In the UFC even?
4u2nv
12/3/08 1:00:37PM
Its just business on the UFC's part. You don't hear them boasting how Brock is the best pound for pound heavy weight and all this other whop-la do u? thats bc they don't have any faith in him. He got some WWE fans into the sport and made ratings but no one expects him to last. He'll become no one just like everyother wrestler in WWE does after a year or so. Unless he wipes out the UFC's HW division. And then Dana will bring Fedor in for sure!
Gipper
12/3/08 1:29:15PM
agree 100%.
i think these 5 could take lesnar out no doubt
fedor
nog
arlovski
barnett
gonzaga (i think the 2 loses to couture and werdum will help him in the long run)

i think hendo would for sure have a chance evn though he'd be out weighed by 70.

prozacnation1978
12/3/08 1:31:26PM
i think the ufc needs to bring in some heavyweights to challenge these fighters
i mean some top 10 consensus heavyweights
PaleHorse
12/3/08 1:45:56PM

Posted by bjj1605

I think its absurd to say he can only loose by submission. I see any decent striker with a good sprawl beating brock. Randy got caught, but he was technically outclassing Brock. Brock was lucky (not a lucky punch, just lucky) that the fight ended when it did. The longer it went and the more he gassed the better chance Randy had of TKOing him. I think Mir or Nog will sub him (probably Nog). I think Gonzaga, Fedor, AA, Josh Barnett, or even old Chuck would have a good chance at him too. I'm not even sure he'd take Cain Velasquez, Shane Carwin or any of the good up and coming guys.

He has potential, yes. He has size and wrestling ability. But that doesn't not make him the best HW in the world. Nor does a 3-1 record. If the UFC is supposed to have the best fighters, and the title holder is the best in his weight, that means Brock should be the best HW in the world. Whether you agree that he would get beat by the guys I listed or not you have to admit he's very untested. He's beaten a nobody, an experienced journeyman/ B-level fighter, and had one good fight against an over the hill randy couture. Does that make him the greatest HW in the world? In the UFC even?

You pretty much summed it up for me, I was going to list pretty much those same guys as potential ass whoopings, especially Carwin because lesnar would have like very little size advantage.
PaleHorse
12/3/08 2:07:38PM

Posted by Gipper

agree 100%.
i think these 5 could take lesnar out no doubt
fedor
nog
arlovski
barnett
gonzaga (i think the 2 loses to couture and werdum will help him in the long run)

i think hendo would for sure have a chance evn though he'd be out weighed by 70.

Thats an interesting thought of Hendo, I'd be really really really curious to see that one but I've never seen Dan Henderson take on anyone so big so it'd be a toss up if Lindland was a heavyweight he would probably trash Lesnar, you could see that if Brock's can-0-meat hands didn't hit Randy (those are hard to take no matter who you are its just the brute force its like he fights with boxing gloves while Randy fights with MMA gloves when it comes to connecting) but if Randy could duck and weave better another time and the fight went for a little bit longer I think that Randy would have outclassed Lesnar, I think in the deeper grinding rounds that Randy puts on people he outclasses pretty much anyone in the world, which was why I wouldn't have written him off against Fedor, the only problem with his style is the same problem with any fighter, you can still get caught no matter who you are and Randy doesn't have a chin like Nogueira where there is no connection between the chin and the brain saying "TURN THE **** OFF FOR A SECOND YOU MIGHT DIE DON'T BE SO STUPID YOU DON'T KNOW A KNOCKOUT WHEN YOU SEE IT" because I think Randy has as much heart as Nog, Nog just has an invincible chin.
nickcuc547
12/3/08 2:39:11PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Well there is no "real" champ right now only interm champs so his reign can't begin untill he beats Mir or Nogueria.

unfair or not brock beat the champ, so he's the real champ right now, like it or not it's the truth.
Porch28
12/3/08 3:03:42PM
If the UFC would have annouced when they signed Brock that his first 3 fights would be Mir, Herring, and Couture. I bet almost everyone would have said he would be 0-3. If they don't like him as champ then go beat him. Dana gave him a shot and he made the most of it . I think Dan's just pissed because he can't win a belt in the UFC
ncordless
12/3/08 3:05:58PM

Posted by Porch28

If the UFC would have annouced when they signed Brock that his first 3 fights would be Mir, Herring, and Couture. I bet almost everyone would have said he would be 0-3. If they don't like him as champ then go beat him. Dana gave him a shot and he made the most of it . I think Dan's just pissed because he can't win a belt in the UFC

Quit being a blind nuthugger and actually click the link and read what Dan says.
Sir_Karl
12/3/08 3:21:02PM
I somewhat agree with both Hendo and Michael Pepper.
They both make valid points.
My point is yeah he's 3 and 1, but he was destroying Frank Mir until the "referee incident", he completely controlled and seriously hurt Herring and he knocked out Randy Couture during a very even match.
His opponents were "top of the food chain" as Joe Rogan says.
Give the guy a chance for crying out loud.

motorboatensob
12/3/08 3:27:22PM
Hendo says he would get beat for lack of experience well he just beat the man who was supposed to have more experience than most any one. I say why fight other guys to see if you can beat the best why not just go straight to the top and see if you can hack it.
Porch28
12/3/08 4:59:36PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Porch28

Quit being a blind nuthugger and actually click the link and read what Dan says.

Hug my nuts. I just get tired of everyone downing the guy for things out of his control and yes I am a fan and I think It's great he's doing well. So stop being a hater and show some respect
higdon10
12/3/08 5:00:58PM

Posted by Gipper

I think that Hendo could beat him.
tdietel01
12/3/08 8:18:49PM
hendo cant handle ufc mw or lhw, why would he be able to beat lesnar?
tdietel01
12/3/08 8:21:18PM

Posted by Porch28

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Porch28

Hug my nuts. I just get tired of everyone downing the guy for things out of his control and yes I am a fan and I think It's great he's doing well. So stop being a hater and show some respect

the only reason people do not show respect is because he is from the wwe. he has earned the right to be respected and is the rightful UFC champ!
cmill21
12/3/08 8:47:57PM

Posted by tdietel01

No? Beat Palharres who many think is the next big thing, won a round against anderson and could very well beat him if he stuck to a damn game plan, and in alot of peoples opinions he beat Rampage so I think thats complete bs. Also Hendo does have a win over the interim HW champ(real champ IMO). Brock might be amazing, but he got the shot against the very best opponent for him just because he was in the WWE. They can say he was an NCAA champ all they want but they know why he's a draw and it's that he was in the WWE.
DevonFoxy
12/3/08 9:14:34PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by tdietel01

No? Beat Palharres who many think is the next big thing, won a round against anderson and could very well beat him if he stuck to a damn game plan, and in alot of peoples opinions he beat Rampage so I think thats complete bs. Also Hendo does have a win over the interim HW champ(real champ IMO). Brock might be amazing, but he got the shot against the very best opponent for him just because he was in the WWE. They can say he was an NCAA champ all they want but they know why he's a draw and it's that he was in the WWE.

Exactly like usual Cmil takes the words out of my mouth.

To say Hendo can't handle MW or LHW is ridiculous. Henderson has beaten better guys than Lesnar will probably ever face to be honest. Sounds to me you've only seen his fights in the UFC and even then this comment perplexes me. Did you see the fight with Rampage?? He did amazingly personally i felt he won and against Anderson he dominated the first round so no offense bro but I think you should do some homework before you make a comment like that.

Lesnar showed he isn't ridiculously overpowering in the clinch and Hendo's power is ALOT better than Randy's with a MUCH better chin so I would give Henderson a much better shot at beating Lesnar that Randy has and in a rematch i would still take Randy.
Lesnar's chin would really be tested in that fight as would Hendo's chin but the chances of them fighting are incredibly high but imo Hendo would be top 3 in the HW division in the UFC which is why I think he is still top 5 P4P.

tdietel01
12/3/08 11:05:22PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by cmill21

Posted by tdietel01

Exactly like usual Cmil takes the words out of my mouth.

To say Hendo can't handle MW or LHW is ridiculous. Henderson has beaten better guys than Lesnar will probably ever face to be honest. Sounds to me you've only seen his fights in the UFC and even then this comment perplexes me. Did you see the fight with Rampage?? He did amazingly personally i felt he won and against Anderson he dominated the first round so no offense bro but I think you should do some homework before you make a comment like that.

Lesnar showed he isn't ridiculously overpowering in the clinch and Hendo's power is ALOT better than Randy's with a MUCH better chin so I would give Henderson a much better shot at beating Lesnar that Randy has and in a rematch i would still take Randy.
Lesnar's chin would really be tested in that fight as would Hendo's chin but the chances of them fighting are incredibly high but imo Hendo would be top 3 in the HW division in the UFC which is why I think he is still top 5 P4P.

I watched both of those fights and the fight with Palharres and i wasnt very impressed. the fact is that he DID lose to rampage and anderson and couldnt finish Palharres. thats great that he was good in pride but he has been as sub par as CC in the UFC. As far as him beating lesnar? I dont see why he would beat him. everyone acts like couture is a washed up hack because he lost to lesnar, before the fight it was randy can win cause of his greco roman and his gameplan and blah blah blah. now that he lost everyone is writing him off. nobody can honestly tell me that before ufc 91 anyone would have said hendo could beat couture. now hendo can beat lesnar??? I dont like or dislike hendo but it seems like a long shot that he would beat lesnar. I also have to respectfully disagree about hendo being top 3 HW. I would say right now nog lesnar randy GG and maybe kongo would beat him.
DevonFoxy
12/4/08 1:02:52AM
So I think you should understand that his last fight was against a great fighter who many are already saying is the future of the MW division. A fighter he pretty much dominated for three rounds and showed that his power is def. still there knocking him down numerous times.

Thats just my opinion on the fact that he could be Lesnar. He matches up very well with him imo. His chin would make Lesnar work to try and get into a striking match with him. Lesnar I think would get overaggressive in trying to strike with him and get caught. Henderson's take down defense is very good and I feel would be able to keep it standing where he would knock him out. If not I see him controlling the clinch and taking him down where I could see Hendo getting a stoppage there as well.

agree to disagree sir but Hendo has fought Rampage top 3 at LHW (looked great in that fight) and Silva #1 fighter at MW (looked better than anyone else has against him) then beat Palhares in convincing fashion, a guy everyone said was going to upset him. I don't know what Dan could do to earn your respect but I think his fight with Rich should show that the Pride days aren't behind Dan.
StriderXero
12/4/08 1:31:36AM

not taking away anything from Couture or Lesnar.......Lesnar did win that fight, just a plain............but Couture is 44 years old and who had not been active for a year. Alot of people considered him an underdog aswell.

Lesnar just started MMA and now he's the Champ but I still feel he will mature more as a fighter. I think he will. But as of right now I see more than a hand full of fighters that can beat him, which includes LHWs and MWs (Hendo and Silva) All they have to do is out work him and see who has the bigger gas tank.
Pages: [1] 2