Henderson's Nicknames

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Henderson's Nicknames
Boo_Radley21
1/15/10 3:33:00AM
Since he has been in the UFC I have noticed 3 nicknames that I can recall listed at different times on the UFC website, and I'm pretty sure they've all been announced by Buffer at least once. First it was Dan "Hollywood" Henderson, then "Dangerous" Dan Henderson, and now Dan "Hendo" Henderson. The guy sure changes it up a lot. I remember people calling him Hendo on the forums before they used that one though. I think the fans made that one up haha.

Gotta say Hollywood was my favourite haha but all of them are pretty sik. Any thoughts on favourites?
bojangalz
1/15/10 8:13:17AM
He prefers Hendo... And does not the the nickname Hollywood at all. I remember hearing that in an interview once. If you ask me, his is a name that just rolls off the tounge when it's announced. I don't think he really needs a nickname at all.

I think it works well to refer to him as Hendo, but it sounds completely retarted when Buffer calls him Dan "Heeeennnndooooo" HenderSON!

He should just be announced and Dan Henderson. It's not like anyone is going to forget who he is because he doen't have a badass nickname.
emfleek
1/15/10 10:04:08AM

Posted by bojangalz

He should just be announced and Dan Henderson. It's not like anyone is going to forget who he is because he doen't have a badass nickname.

I wish all fighters would drop the dumbass nicknames, personally.
AchillesHeel
1/15/10 10:20:51AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by bojangalz

I wish all fighters would drop the dumbass nicknames, personally.

I agree, for the most part. There are some nicknames that just make sense ("GSP", "Hendo"), some that are clever or funny ("The Dean of Mean", "The Irish Hand Grenade"), and some that were 'awarded' for a reason ("Rampage", "Cro Cop"). Most of them are either dumb or sound kind of forced, though. For example, we need another "Pitbull" in MMA like we need a hole in the head. Oh, and some of them probably violate the one rule for nicknames: You can't ever give yourself a nickname.
emfleek
1/15/10 10:43:59AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I agree, for the most part. There are some nicknames that just make sense ("GSP", "Hendo"), some that are clever or funny ("The Dean of Mean", "The Irish Hand Grenade"), and some that were 'awarded' for a reason ("Rampage", "Cro Cop"). Most of them are either dumb or sound kind of forced, though. For example, we need another "Pitbull" in MMA like we need a hole in the head. Oh, and some of them probably violate the one rule for nicknames: You can't ever give yourself a nickname.

Let me rephrase...we shouldn't get rid of just the dumbass nicknames. I'd like to see ALL nicknames dropped. I think they're silly, personally.
State_Champ
1/15/10 11:57:49AM
I cannot stand "The Dean of Mean" as a nickname (I don't particularly like Jardine as a fighter either but that's a different discussion and possibly, though inexplicably, related to his nickname), but I do like some nicknames-- GSP, Hendo and Rampage are good examples. Captain America seemed cool to me as well when I heard it used for Couture.
Basically, I feel that any nickname which feels forced is a bad nickname.

I like Shogun, Rumble, Big Nog, Lil Nog, Rampage.... even The Prodigy seems OK to me.
Kpro
1/15/10 12:34:24PM
Without nicknames we couldn't have The Ho Bag take on The Hillbilly Heartthrob followed by Twinkles Toes taking on the Pink Pounder.
emfleek
1/15/10 12:38:33PM

Posted by Kpro

Without nicknames we couldn't have The Ho Bag take on The Hillbilly Heartthrob followed by Twinkles Toes taking on the Pink Pounder.

Those sound like Homosexual Comic Book titles.
Kpro
1/15/10 12:55:36PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Kpro

Homosexual comic books are actually pretty good; you read them back to front.
emfleek
1/15/10 1:17:20PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Kpro

Homosexual comic books are actually pretty good; you read them back to front.

I heard they get really good in the end. I also I heard that they smell like sh*t.
tepid55
1/16/10 10:52:54AM
Stephen Quadros gave Dan Henderson the nickname "Dangerous" after he KO'd Renzo Gracie and TKO'd Akira Shoji in back-to-back fights in Pride.
State_Champ
1/16/10 2:25:42PM

Posted by tepid55

Stephen Quadros gave Dan Henderson the nickname "Dangerous" after he KO'd Renzo Gracie and TKO'd Akira Shoji in back-to-back fights in Pride.

Dangerous Dan is a cool name. The Axe Murderer seems good to me as well.
I am forced to conclude that I am in favor of nicknames only when I like them and against people having nicknames if I don't like their name....

I don't dislike any of Dan Henderson's nicknames.
tepid55
1/17/10 2:39:54PM
Henderson was the first man to ever KO/TKO Renzo Gracie and Akira Shoji.
Pookie
1/17/10 2:44:45PM
I like to call him by his Apache name: Heavyfist.
CwB
1/17/10 3:00:17PM
I like to call him "Ruthless Toothless" ...
Fjaschler
1/19/10 12:09:55AM
I'll just stick with Hendo, I never liked Hollywood, it made him seem like a pro-wrestler.
State_Champ
1/19/10 7:13:26AM

Posted by Fjaschler

I'll just stick with Hendo, I never liked Hollywood, it made him seem like a pro-wrestler.

But Pro Wrestlers have some of the coolest names ever known to man.

Dolph Ziggler
Rey Mysterio
Slam Master J
Hornswoggle
Dingo Warrior
Scotty 2 Hotty
Nature Boy
Ultimate Warrior
Randy Macho Man Savage

hahahaha...........and these aren't even the best names necessarily just the one's I found quickly when I looked up some in-ring personas)

Hahaha......Pro wrestling names give me so much amusement...