Henderon overated?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Henderon overated?
« Previous Page
dstlvb
6/4/07 9:33:47PM
It doesnt matter whether he desreved to be in the ring or not, when it comes to him being overrated or underrated. He was in the ring and got the job done against Wandy. People said Randy didnt deserve to be in the ring with Tim. Well he was and made the most of it.
mkiv9secsupra
6/5/07 3:32:06PM

Posted by dstlvb
People said Randy didnt deserve to be in the ring with Tim. Well he was and made the most of it.

Who said this? People said he would lose but no one said he didn't deserve it. The fact is that Henderson didnt deserve to be in that ring with wandy. If you arent the best then you dont deserve to hold the title, simple as that.
nubby
6/5/07 4:24:45PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by dstlvb
People said Randy didnt deserve to be in the ring with Tim. Well he was and made the most of it.

Who said this? People said he would lose but no one said he didn't deserve it. The fact is that Henderson didnt deserve to be in that ring with wandy. If you arent the best then you dont deserve to hold the title, simple as that.

I don't know if I agree with that "Fact" you opinionated.
kerazzle
6/5/07 10:24:04PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by dstlvb

I don't know if I agree with that "Fact" you opinionated.

it pretty much is a fact because nogueira was the one who deserved to have a shot at wanderlei.
hughesfan1
6/8/07 9:24:37PM
How can anyone say he didn't deserve it. Yeah Nog did to, but to say Hendo isn't the best don't make good sense when he won. Regardless, he has the belt(s). And might have a third come 75.
warglory
6/8/07 10:43:51PM

Posted by Mastodon2

I watched the Ninja / Henderson fight at Pride Championship Chaos today, and yes, I do think Hendo is overrated, way overrated.

Ninja was allover him in that fight, taking him down at will, outstriking him, switching between full mount, side control and half guard as he pleased, dominating Hendo for 3 rounds, but still lost by some dodgy split decision.

Ive just never been impressed by Hendo.

Awww man, you make it sound like Ninja schooled him. Ninja had to work for the take downs he had and the ground work he did, all while Hendo was working on getting out for the first 2, and in the last, Hendo just about knocked Ninja out of his trunks. I agree Ninja should have won because of the first two rounds (PRIDE and their non-round rulings), but Hendo brought his game to that fight.
warglory
6/8/07 10:55:37PM
How can anyone seriously say that Henderson is overrated after watching him fight? The man has beaten Big Nog, Carlos Newton, Sobral, Ninja and knocked Wandy the hell out. Every fight he has been in he has brought his A-game, even the ones he loses. His first match with Wandy was when Wandy was kicking some serious ass in PRIDE, and Hendo nearly beat him. The same can be said for Arona. When Hendo fights, its going to be a top card match, guaranteed, win lose or draw, how can you call that overrated? The last time I checked MMA wasn't all about winning, it was about putting on a good show. Why the hell do you think Chris Lytle is still in the UFC? Or Shoji lasted so long in PRIDE?
johny_rotten
6/9/07 12:52:20AM

Posted by warglory

How can anyone seriously say that Henderson is overrated after watching him fight? The man has beaten Big Nog, Carlos Newton, Sobral, Ninja and knocked Wandy the hell out. Every fight he has been in he has brought his A-game, even the ones he loses. His first match with Wandy was when Wandy was kicking some serious ass in PRIDE, and Hendo nearly beat him. The same can be said for Arona. When Hendo fights, its going to be a top card match, guaranteed, win lose or draw, how can you call that overrated? The last time I checked MMA wasn't all about winning, it was about putting on a good show. Why the hell do you think Chris Lytle is still in the UFC? Or Shoji lasted so long in PRIDE?

I would agree if what you were saying was true. Did you see either Misaki fight? Dan looked like he was asleep. How about the Vitor fight? I didn't know holding a guy on the ground for 3 rounds was exciting.

He should have lost the match to Bustamantle. He lost to Misaki at 185, and he lost to every top contender he fought in Pride. Arona, both Nog bothers, and Wandy. I didn't know always comming up short earns you a title shot.
mkiv9secsupra
6/9/07 11:08:54AM

Posted by warglory
The last time I checked MMA wasn't all about winning, it was about putting on a good show.

nope! its about winning...but making it exciting is how the fighters get to come back.

anyways. just face it. Henderson ISNT the best 205lb'er in the world. Maybe at 185 he is. But to even rank him in the top 5 of 205 is completely insane. He wasnt even a top contender. He may have beaten Wandy once but nothing will be final as to who the better fighter is until the rubber match(which wandy will win). He lost to Lil Nog. I dont see anyway he can be a top contender or even a top ranked 205. At 185 sure hes at minimum a top 3. But i would still pick Rich Franklin over Henderson any day.
hippysmacker
6/9/07 5:29:17PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by warglory
The last time I checked MMA wasn't all about winning, it was about putting on a good show.

nope! its about winning...but making it exciting is how the fighters get to come back.

anyways. just face it. Henderson ISNT the best 205lb'er in the world. Maybe at 185 he is. But to even rank him in the top 5 of 205 is completely insane. He wasnt even a top contender. He may have beaten Wandy once but nothing will be final as to who the better fighter is until the rubber match(which wandy will win). He lost to Lil Nog. I dont see anyway he can be a top contender or even a top ranked 205. At 185 sure hes at minimum a top 3. But i would still pick Rich Franklin over Henderson any day.

Mike while I tend to agree with you a lot, I gotta disagree this time, Hendo has progressed so much since the loss to Misaki. He joined forces with Shawn Tompkins( who is allied with Bas) , who is allied with Randy. All theses great MMA trainers are using each others strengths to train their weaknesses of their fighters up. It's like a modern version of the alliance( F.Shamrock/ Mo Smith) back in the day. While it's true that a;ll great teams have trainers for each discipline, I think these guys are at the top of what they do, and Hendo has improved dramatically in the last year. I think he is top 5 at 205. I also think he is deserving of #1 at 185, and I wouldn't be surprised if he beat Rampage. As for the title shot, I agree it should have went to Lil Nog. It's my opinion that they were trying to showcase Wandy for a match with Chuck. Still, he did beat him , and he beat him convincingly.He did deserve to be in the ring , but he probably shouldn't have been #1 contender IMO. That makes him champ, but I hope Shogun gets a shot sooner , rather than later.
warglory
6/9/07 10:20:05PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by warglory

If getting a championship match was completely about winning, then Tim Sylvia would be getting a rematch after he wins his next match, but knowing how Tim fights, he will probably never get a shot at the heavyweight belt again (unless he starts lighting a fire underneath his ass). Boxing, and now MMA has never been about matching people up in championship bouts with the best records, it has always been about who will be the largest draw. Hell, Hendo is a no name as far as the modern UFC is concerned, and Jackson had only one fight before his championship bout, were people complaining? Hell no. We are getting good people fighting one another who are able to put on exciting fights. As hippie said, I think Nog or Shogun should have received a title shot before Hendo, but Hendo was a good set up for a potential Chuck vs Wandy fight, and the way mma goes, Hendo took advantage of the shot and won it, and it was an entertaining fight. Records are completely arbitrary as far as I'm concerned.
Damien6663
6/11/07 6:09:58PM
overated at 205, top 3 at 185 no matter how you make your rankings of the big 3 (lindland, sliva, hendo)
nubby
6/11/07 6:18:38PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by warglory

If getting a championship match was completely about winning, then Tim Sylvia would be getting a rematch after he wins his next match, but knowing how Tim fights, he will probably never get a shot at the heavyweight belt again (unless he starts lighting a fire underneath his ass). Boxing, and now MMA has never been about matching people up in championship bouts with the best records, it has always been about who will be the largest draw. Hell, Hendo is a no name as far as the modern UFC is concerned, and Jackson had only one fight before his championship bout, were people complaining? Hell no. We are getting good people fighting one another who are able to put on exciting fights. As hippie said, I think Nog or Shogun should have received a title shot before Hendo, but Hendo was a good set up for a potential Chuck vs Wandy fight, and the way mma goes, Hendo took advantage of the shot and won it, and it was an entertaining fight. Records are completely arbitrary as far as I'm concerned.

I fail to see how records could be considered arbitrary, in fact, by their very nature they are the opposite of arbitrary. Maybe you are using the wrong word?
masodd
7/22/07 9:54:41PM
no hes an awesome fighter
johny_rotten
7/23/07 1:56:28AM
Well I think he is overated, but it is debateable. He is the luckiest fighter in MMA though. He can get demolished by Rampage, but since 185 has no real challenger he is most likely to get a shot at Anderson after Silva sends Rich to another plastic surgeon.
LHK
7/23/07 9:23:41AM
Henderson is way overrated. No one has had more decisions unfairly go his way then Dan. Not to mention if he was really that great why do half his fights go to decision? He can't finish or FAIRLY win fights consistently, and he will never be the best.

Ninja needs to be in the UFC...he is way underrated. Amazing fighter (doesn't he get the better of Shogun in training?).

Top 3 no. Top 5, more realistically. At MW. At LHW he shouldn't even be ranked (one fluke win over a worn Silva doesn't count. If Hendo beats him again I will eat my words).

Food for thought -
video
xchickox
7/23/07 11:58:07AM
i dont get how hendo can be overrated when he's got two of the belts in pride and has beaten some top competition

althought i do think rampage is gonna knock him out
GDK
7/23/07 12:57:13PM

Posted by MisFiT

If anything Hendo is underrated.

And has been for years
Pages: 1 [2]