Helmets & Gloves leads to new appreciation of MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Helmets & Gloves leads to new appreciation of MMA
shaneTpain
11/28/12 11:29:34PM
My brothers friend is an amateur boxer. They were in the basement drinking beers & having a Helmets & Gloves* tourney late last week.. I went downstairs to steal a brew & before I could chug it I was wearing stinky hockey gear & was face to face with the amateur boxer. He had already won a couple bouts that night & was looking to keep his streak going. Unwilling to look cowardly infront of my peers I accepted that I was about to die.. The fight began, I closed my eyes & did my best Leonard Garcia impersonation. SMACK! I caught em... My 3rd or 4th slug caught em flush.. He fell back & landed on his butt. The basement erupted! I had exactly 4 seconds of glory before my much older opponent was back to his feet & bouncing my head off the wall like a dodgeball. My brother & co yanked him off me & I was seeing stars for the rest of the night. 15 minutes later a couple cold ones calmed the boxer down & he drunkenly told me I got a nice punch & I should join him in his combat sport training! With a belly full of beer & probably a mild concussion I lied to him & said I'd love to! .....The next day... PAIN... I could hardly chew a banana & remember I WAS WEARING A HELMET!! It's been nearly 5 days now & it still hurts to yawn! I can't imagine the pain a pro fighter must experience days & weeks (...or months; Maldonado) after a grueling fight! Those dudes are WARRIORS!

*traditional canadian drinking passtime where 2 participants wearing hockey gloves & a hockey helmet beat the snot out of eachother. Last guy standing wins.
frizzzlecake
11/28/12 11:35:12PM
Yeah I would have to think FIghter's get some sort of medicine for pain.
Budgellism
11/29/12 12:00:12AM

Posted by shaneTpain
*traditional canadian drinking passtime where 2 participants wearing hockey gloves & a hockey helmet beat the snot out of eachother. Last guy standing wins.

Good to know I wasn't the only one that took part in this pastime

We used boxing gloves instead of hockey gloves but yeah, I've done this a few times in the past. Every now and then a few of us would get drunk and beat the shit out of each other in somebody's basement.
jjeans
11/29/12 6:31:28AM
Fair play! Over here if we're fighting in like a friendly way we don't usually throw to the head, but I guess with helmets on we might do... I'm always at a serious disadvantage though cause I'm a kickboxer, I've learnt to fight using 6 limbs knees, feet and hands (elbows aren't allowed in KB) so it always sucks when you know it's a friendly fight or if it is a fight is kinda a bit like "Oh? Why you kicking me?"

To be fair though I know what you mean about concussion etc, whenever I went all out in sparring sessions it'd hurt the next day. Me and a former PG member Matt Vladar most times went go for broke style, he went to work with a black eye, I took the day off with mild concussion symptoms. Nobody in the club was stupid enough to go 100% against him as he was a Semi-Pro kickboxer but because we had trained for 5 years we knew each others secrets and instincts so if he's gonna throw a highkick I can feel the combo start off to avoid the kick.

But yeah when you do get blasted with one or you do end up standing in the middle and trading it can give you proper dizzy sensation. I haven't felt "my legs going out from under me" but I have feel like my head is in a world of its own.