To Hell With HBO!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » To Hell With HBO!
« Previous Page | Next Page »
nubby
4/18/07 1:15:34PM
Does it mean there will be more UFC events over all, or are we just going to see the UFC fight night lives head over to HBO?
BadSanta
4/18/07 4:07:45PM

Posted by Gogoplata

Posted by Ydoc

Well... they have already made their first mistake: No Goldy or Rogan. Now we're going to have to hear some demoted Boxing commentators try to figure out why someone would tap out to an armbar. Just like ESPN, UFC should have just tossed them to the curve. They don't need those outlets... those companies need the UFC to be taken seriously. In my opinion, the UFC has carved its little niche in American pop culture without going the obvious route (the obvious route didn't want them), and now is stepping back to stepping stones it already found its way around.

Agree with you Santa... this sucks.

I have no idea how you can say UFC doesn't need to be on ESPN or HBO. They both need each other. This is what the UFC has tried to do for so long to get the public to look at it as more than just human cockfighting. I like the deal with HBO and personally I could give two shits is Goldy ever broadcasts another UFC event ever.

You gotta look at the positives. Goldy and Rogan will be there for every other UFC event besides the ones on HBO. And Max Kellerman, a self-proclaimed MMA fan, may be one of the guys who broadcasts it. UFC knows what it's doing, it has come this far, just let this play its course.

It's clear to me that HBO needs the UFC more than the UFC needs HBO. UFC is the premiere US brand of a sport exploding in popularity and already has two major television outlets to distribute (Spike and PPV.) If the UFC abandoned HBO and went with another premium network, they would be given control over their own product while opening up another lane of distribution.

The UFC must be given control over their own product!
BadSanta
4/18/07 4:09:43PM

Posted by nubby

Does it mean there will be more UFC events over all, or are we just going to see the UFC fight night lives head over to HBO?

The HBO presentations would be in addition to Spike's events...not a replacement.
pv3Hpv3p
4/18/07 4:18:41PM

Posted by BadSanta

Posted by Gogoplata

Posted by Ydoc

Well... they have already made their first mistake: No Goldy or Rogan. Now we're going to have to hear some demoted Boxing commentators try to figure out why someone would tap out to an armbar. Just like ESPN, UFC should have just tossed them to the curve. They don't need those outlets... those companies need the UFC to be taken seriously. In my opinion, the UFC has carved its little niche in American pop culture without going the obvious route (the obvious route didn't want them), and now is stepping back to stepping stones it already found its way around.

Agree with you Santa... this sucks.

I have no idea how you can say UFC doesn't need to be on ESPN or HBO. They both need each other. This is what the UFC has tried to do for so long to get the public to look at it as more than just human cockfighting. I like the deal with HBO and personally I could give two shits is Goldy ever broadcasts another UFC event ever.

You gotta look at the positives. Goldy and Rogan will be there for every other UFC event besides the ones on HBO. And Max Kellerman, a self-proclaimed MMA fan, may be one of the guys who broadcasts it. UFC knows what it's doing, it has come this far, just let this play its course.

It's clear to me that HBO needs the UFC more than the UFC needs HBO. UFC is the premiere US brand of a sport exploding in popularity and already has two major television outlets to distribute (Spike and PPV.) If the UFC abandoned HBO and went with another premium network, they would be given control over their own product while opening up another lane of distribution.

The UFC must be given control over their own product!

I guess I don't understand where the line of reasoning that HBO needs the UFC comes from... That's like saying 10 years ago that HBO needed the WWF (not comparing UFC to WWF, but their PPV buys and TV strategy are similar)... That never happened and they managed to survive just fine.

I don't think that there really is another premium network to go to... Showtime would be the second largest and they already have the EliteXC, other than that there is Starz, Cinamax, and a few others but these are clearly an infferior product to HBO...

I will agree that it just seems bad that the UFC doesn't have control of the production... But it really might not be that bad... I'm guessing they'll get Lon McCarren (sp?) or maybe Quadros or someone of that ilk... Who knows, it might be the next best thing... It all depends, I say give it a chance, but meh...

PS: Hi, I'm retarded and can't spell
JunCTion
4/18/07 4:19:40PM

Posted by BadSanta

Posted by nubby

The HBO presentations would be in addition to Spike's events...not a replacement.

no, they said that the tuf finallists will be on hbo and the losers bracket will be on spike

end buy tha wey, most uv us cant spell eyther.
scoozna
4/18/07 4:27:25PM
As long as it's better than Blowdog Fights' production, I'd be happy.

Why wouldn't Rogan HBOUFC shows too - his Spike contract couldn't be that iron clad could it?

johny_rotten
4/18/07 4:30:46PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think the UFC is spreading it self to thin? Since TUF took off it has been hard to find a card with more than 2 compelling fights. The UFN cards for the most part have been jokes. Now they are going to throw in another venue. Don't get me wrong I love all the fights, but they are on the fast track to imitating boxing's worst attribute of top fighters making their names against scubs then getting a shot at the title.
JunCTion
4/18/07 4:36:46PM

Posted by johny_rotten

Is it just me or does anyone else think the UFC is spreading it self to thin? Since TUF took off it has been hard to find a card with more than 2 compelling fights. The UFN cards for the most part have been jokes. Now they are going to throw in another venue. Don't get me wrong I love all the fights, but they are on the fast track to imitating boxing's worst attribute of top fighters making their names against scubs then getting a shot at the title.

i agree and since i dont have HBO, this just makes it easier to watch all other orgs that are on national and basic cable and the internet. its just another way to get money from the fans while, like you said, spreading itself thin.

i cant afford cable, i cant afford ppv, i cant even afford to travel to a bar which means they are limiting what i can see and promoting themselves to the fans with $
pv3Hpv3p
4/18/07 6:29:33PM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by johny_rotten

i agree and since i dont have HBO, this just makes it easier to watch all other orgs that are on national and basic cable and the internet. its just another way to get money from the fans while, like you said, spreading itself thin.

i cant afford cable, i cant afford ppv, i cant even afford to travel to a bar which means they are limiting what i can see and promoting themselves to the fans with $

man, that sucks... At least you got trusty old youtube and dailymotion to keep you filled in... In all fairness though, they used to just be all PPV's... I think we're getting spoiled a little with all of the free MMA... But don't take that as a complaint...

And Johny Rotten had a very good point... At what point will they spread themselves too thin? 30 events in a year... That's a lot... It's almost double what they have in their archives right now considering we are waiting for UFC 70! This thing has to hit the ceiling at some point... Growth is good and all, but I really hope they don't start to get too big for their briches...

Also, I just found my old "Never Mind the Bullocks" CD and got it onto my ipod... That sh!t is classic
JunCTion
4/18/07 8:55:48PM
so i looked everywhere, and tell me why if this deal is so important can i not find any info on HBOs site about it!

big news for HBO. huh
jdubs
4/18/07 10:28:17PM
i have a short attention span so i could not read your whole post, but what the heck, to hell with hbo!!!
hippysmacker
4/18/07 10:30:29PM

Posted by jdubs

i have a short attention span so i could not read your whole post, but what the heck, to hell with hbo!!!

BadSanta
4/18/07 11:57:38PM

Posted by jdubs

Give me props then.
ac_gi
4/19/07 6:20:40AM

Posted by johny_rotten

I know most fans would agree with you. Me, I would watch two bums fight each other. I just love the fight game and watching two athletes combat each other is very entertaining. I don't need big names, but I understand those who do.
Champ2131
4/19/07 8:44:57AM
I hope the UFC does not come to terms w/ HBO, the UFC's style of broadcast is perfect and HBO will most likely want to change a lot..
mma_fan_matt
4/19/07 5:29:39PM

Posted by MMA

Going to be awkward getting used to different commentators. Especially if they have no fcking clue about what they are talking about.

Come on, it'll be just like UFC 1 all over again. Fun times.
Mastodon2
4/19/07 7:05:23PM

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by johny_rotten

I know most fans would agree with you. Me, I would watch two bums fight each other. I just love the fight game and watching two athletes combat each other is very entertaining. I don't need big names, but I understand those who do.

Tbh, big names really help, because A) they rake in the dollars, and B) I personally get satisfaction from knowing who everyone is and following their careers.
BadSanta
4/19/07 9:37:22PM

Posted by mma_fan_matt

Posted by MMA

Going to be awkward getting used to different commentators. Especially if they have no fcking clue about what they are talking about.

Come on, it'll be just like UFC 1 all over again. Fun times.

If HBO cheapens out and makes the UFC look like that, I say we organize a boycott of their broadcast!
ac_gi
4/19/07 11:16:01PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by johny_rotten

Tbh, big names really help, because A) they rake in the dollars, and B) I personally get satisfaction from knowing who everyone is and following their careers.

Without a doubt, I know I’m in the minority.
mrsumo
4/20/07 12:02:40AM
What really appeals to me is the level of fighters that would be on HBO. I do have HBO so it's another free way for me to see more fights. And like the articles say, it's going to be higher level fighters with hbo than on spike. I can understand why those without hbo aren't too psyched about the deal, but ordering HBO is way cheaper than buying PPV's all the damn time. Combine that with Showtime, and all the events being aired on the basic and extended cable channels, it's looking up for the watcher. I can give a rats ass how much money the UFC is going to get from the deal. I'm just glad to watch.

Plus if the HBO deal does work out it will be that much easier to buy out Elite for Dana
madmarck
4/20/07 9:57:46AM

Posted by loller90278

im agreeing with badsanta, to hell with hbo.

keep it on spike

Im with you too Colin Farrell Lover, but just becasue i dont get HBO.

Not to mention Spike has done a great job of producing MMA to the public. Why mess with a good thing?
BadSanta
4/20/07 4:44:03PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by loller90278

im agreeing with badsanta, to hell with hbo.

keep it on spike

Im with you too Colin Farrell Lover, but just becasue i dont get HBO.

Not to mention Spike has done a great job of producing MMA to the public. Why mess with a good thing?

I hate the idea of all the unknown fighters moving to Spike while the exciting fights all move to pay tv (HBO and PPV).
nubby
4/20/07 5:03:42PM

Posted by mrsumo

What really appeals to me is the level of fighters that would be on HBO. I do have HBO so it's another free way for me to see more fights. And like the articles say, it's going to be higher level fighters with hbo than on spike. I can understand why those without hbo aren't too psyched about the deal, but ordering HBO is way cheaper than buying PPV's all the damn time. Combine that with Showtime, and all the events being aired on the basic and extended cable channels, it's looking up for the watcher. I can give a rats ass how much money the UFC is going to get from the deal. I'm just glad to watch.

Plus if the HBO deal does work out it will be that much easier to buy out Elite for Dana

Yeah but its not like you are substituting HBO for PPV, you will not only have to order PPV monthly but will also have to pay extra for HBO, and probably not watch Spike at all especially if all the fighters are lower calibre.
hippysmacker
4/20/07 5:14:52PM
HBO is 10 bucks a month . PPV's 40 bucks. Seems wrt5h it and you get all the rest of HBO's programming. Seems like a great deal to me
mrsumo
4/20/07 8:07:35PM

Posted by nubby

Yeah but its not like you are substituting HBO for PPV, you will not only have to order PPV monthly but will also have to pay extra for HBO, and probably not watch Spike at all especially if all the fighters are lower calibre.

A lower calibur of fighter wouldn't keep me from watching spike. Every week I watch the local fight league on tv just to see the new guys. I would probably watch monkey knife fights if they were on tv. I know there will still be ppv's, but now there are more options. I only ever get the ppv's I think are going to huge. If the lineup doesn't look like it's going to be earth shattering I will just use a combination of the sherdog play by play and the vids on dailymotion. You can usually find the main cards within hours of the ppv.

I watch the origional shows on HBO every week. I would have HBO even if they never aired mma, but since they are and I do I am stoked. I just don't think anything bad is going to come from HBO airing the fights. Just because it's not going to look identical and have the same announcers doesn't mean much. Noone is going to be less of a fighter because Joe Rogan isn't there. And like I said earlier in this thread, just look at the boxing, it is way more entertaining to watch HBO boxing than ESPN or Showtime.
BadSanta
4/21/07 12:13:33AM

Posted by mrsumo

Posted by nubby

A lower calibur of fighter wouldn't keep me from watching spike. Every week I watch the local fight league on tv just to see the new guys. I would probably watch monkey knife fights if they were on tv. I know there will still be ppv's, but now there are more options. I only ever get the ppv's I think are going to huge. If the lineup doesn't look like it's going to be earth shattering I will just use a combination of the sherdog play by play and the vids on dailymotion. You can usually find the main cards within hours of the ppv.

I watch the origional shows on HBO every week. I would have HBO even if they never aired mma, but since they are and I do I am stoked. I just don't think anything bad is going to come from HBO airing the fights. Just because it's not going to look identical and have the same announcers doesn't mean much. Noone is going to be less of a fighter because Joe Rogan isn't there. And like I said earlier in this thread, just look at the boxing, it is way more entertaining to watch HBO boxing than ESPN or Showtime.

Fair enough but I think the boxing events on HBO are awful (I don't even bother with ESPN.) They have got to keep MMA out of the hands of these old assholes who should have retired from broadcasting several decades ago.
pv3Hpv3p
4/21/07 12:47:59AM

Posted by BadSanta

Posted by mrsumo

Posted by nubby

Fair enough but I think the boxing events on HBO are awful (I don't even bother with ESPN.) They have got to keep MMA out of the hands of these old assholes who should have retired from broadcasting several decades ago.

IMO, if you just compare something like the 30 min hype show for Mayweather / De La Hoya to the preview show for UFC 70... It serves as a good example as to what sort of production HBO puts out. Their stuff is really top notch, and better produced than the UFC show...

I'm not sure where the idea that HBO would cheapen the production of MMA, it's just inconsitent with what they do over there. They put on the best boxing promotions, hands down.

I guess I don't see what's so cheap about it? I can understand that you don't like Merchant and Lampley (I don't either, and not many MMA fans do), but there is really no chance that either of them be working on the UFC broadcasts, they both have been quite unspoken against it... Calling it glorified bar fighting, etc...

What exactly is it that you don't like about their current production format, besides the commentators? And how do you honestly think it compares to what Zuffa does with the UFC? Camerawise, lighting, all that stuff that makes it what it is...

I personally thought that Pride, by far and away had the best productions from a PPV standpoint and I think their DVD format is leaps and bounds ahead of what the UFC puts out... But I guess I'm curious as to what it really is that irks you so much about HBO??
Sopena66669
4/21/07 4:21:47AM
I agree that the winners of the Tuff show should make it to HBO and the losers can still fight on spike
CWall33
4/21/07 7:58:28AM

Posted by mrsumo
Sopranos, Rome, Deadwood, are three of the best shows on tv ever.

Truer words have never been spoken.
BadSanta
4/22/07 1:27:24AM

Posted by CWall33

Posted by mrsumo
Sopranos, Rome, Deadwood, are three of the best shows on tv ever.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I gave up on Rome after a few episodes, never bothered with Deadwood (isn't it cancelled?) and The Sopranos lost its luster a couple of seasons ago. Six Feet Under was terrific and Carnivale should have been allowed to stay...

Anyway, I don't trust HBO for one ******* minute. I'm still predicting that this relationship will be relatively short-lived.
Pages: 1 [2] 3