To Hell With HBO!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » To Hell With HBO!
Next Page »
BadSanta
4/17/07 9:34:05PM
So the UFC is forced to cede control of the production to HBO as part of their new deal. What is the f*cking deal with HBO? They have resisted broadcasting MMA since the inception of the sport, the woman-bashing silver haired asshole Jim Lampley refers to MMA as "bar fighting" and now they believe they are more qualified than the UFC to present the sport? They have little or no credibility in the eyes of MMA/UFC fans and it irks me to think that they are profiting from the sport that they have done nothing to create or promote.

One glaring problem with the deal is this--allowing HBO to control production dilutes the UFC brand as it seems to break with the consistent feel and tone of UFC productions in the past (Rogan, Goldberg on Spike and PPV but now some new guys calling the commentary on HBO). Will HBO be cross-promoting some boring boxing event during MMA presentations? Will the same cheap, low-rent production style used in HBO boxing apply to HBO MMA? Will we be forced to watch balding middle-aged men in tuxedos(!) cough their questions into the faces of fighters after a bout?

Also, a hostile HBO sports department will resist promoting the sport at every turn as they have convinced their rapidly aging brains that the progress of MMA comes only at the expense of boxing...and who the hell bothers with HBO anymore anyway? After taking advantage of their latest free weekend preview, I'm convinced that HBO is a channel that provides little more than a repeating loop of 'The Last Boy Scout' and an eighteen month hiatus between seasons of any good original programming they happen to produce.

To Hell with you, HBO! I might have to download your events...but I don't have to like 'em.

Thanks for reading.
disorderlyvision
4/17/07 9:35:44PM
also, what is this going to do with the fights on spike tv?
BadSanta
4/17/07 9:38:18PM

Posted by disorderlyvision

They will continue and remain relatively unaffected. The most glaring change will be that winners of TUF will have their first fight after the show on HBO while the losers of TUF will fight on Spike.
Trapt1nw0nder
4/17/07 9:42:27PM
UFC on HBO is gonna kickass!!...this only means no commercials,and better fights just like boxing!

I would prefer is they make the upcoming TUF series on HBO too....we wait a whole week for only 35-40 mins of show as where in HBO we can get a full hour commercial free!
BigWilly
4/17/07 9:43:18PM
maybe it wont be as bad as u think... only time will tell....
BadSanta
4/17/07 9:44:46PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

UFC on HBO is gonna kickass!!...this only means no commercials,and better fights just like boxing!

I would prefer is they make the upcoming TUF series on HBO too....we wait a whole week for only 35-40 mins of show as where in HBO we can get a full hour commercial free!

Wrong. If TUF were to move to HBO, expect the production value to go WAY down. HBO is as cheap as they come...ask anyone who has worked on The Sopranos, Six Feet Under etc.
mrsumo
4/17/07 9:54:21PM
I don't know what kind of shows you are used to but HBO shows kick ass. Sopranos, Rome, Deadwood, are three of the best shows on tv ever. Most of their origional stuff kicks ass.

Having UFC on HBO is going to be just as awesome. Just compare the productoin value of HBO boxing to ESPN and you can see that HBO is on top. Even Showtime boxing lacks a litte next to HBO.

Don't hate, just pay your cable bill and enjoy the show.
BadSanta
4/17/07 9:55:42PM

Posted by mrsumo

I don't know what kind of shows you are used to but HBO shows kick ass. Sopranos, Rome, Deadwood, are three of the best shows on tv ever. Most of their origional stuff kicks ass.

Having UFC on HBO is going to be just as awesome. Just compare the productoin value of HBO boxing to ESPN and you can see that HBO is on top. Even Showtime boxing lacks a litte next to HBO.

Don't hate, just pay your cable bill and enjoy the show.

Prediction: UFC will be on HBO for about a year before moving to another premium network. This "relationship" is going to be like a soap opera.
loller90278
4/17/07 10:20:23PM
im agreeing with badsanta, to hell with hbo.

keep it on spike
Ydoc
4/17/07 11:04:34PM
Well... they have already made their first mistake: No Goldy or Rogan. Now we're going to have to hear some demoted Boxing commentators try to figure out why someone would tap out to an armbar. Just like ESPN, UFC should have just tossed them to the curve. They don't need those outlets... those companies need the UFC to be taken seriously. In my opinion, the UFC has carved its little niche in American pop culture without going the obvious route (the obvious route didn't want them), and now is stepping back to stepping stones it already found its way around.

Agree with you Santa... this sucks.
hippysmacker
4/17/07 11:19:20PM
I agree with Santa also. I hope Max Kellerman is part of HBO's team as rumored. He likes MMA and is a good announcer on boxing. I just don't want one of the annouincers to be a boxing guy who's trying to sabotage MMA. On the plus side , I have HBO, so I'm not paying any extra. As for Spike TV, they will probably continue also. Dana said the UFC was planning on running 30 events in the next calendar year, so I'm glad only about 13 are gonna be PPV's. If the ESPN thing goes through as well we will be living the good life, HBO broadcasters aside.
disorderlyvision
4/18/07 12:45:02AM

Posted by BadSanta

They will continue and remain relatively unaffected. The most glaring change will be that winners of TUF will have their first fight after the show on HBO while the losers of TUF will fight on Spike.

do you have a source on this?
disorderlyvision
4/18/07 12:47:40AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I agree with Santa also. I hope Max Kellerman is part of HBO's team as rumored. He likes MMA and is a good announcer on boxing. I just don't want one of the annouincers to be a boxing guy who's trying to sabotage MMA. On the plus side , I have HBO, so I'm not paying any extra. As for Spike TV, they will probably continue also. Dana said the UFC was planning on running 30 events in the next calendar year, so I'm glad only about 13 are gonna be PPV's. If the ESPN thing goes through as well we will be living the good life, HBO broadcasters aside.

i don't have hbo or showtime, sucks for me. i get the other premiums free, so i might have to suck it up and get hbo
JunCTion
4/18/07 12:48:07AM
i totally agree with santa and add financial reasons.
I DON'T HAVE HBO!!! I ONLY HAVE BASIC CABLE!
not only can i not watch PPVs, now ill miss 1/2 the other events.
Northrend
4/18/07 12:50:30AM
This means I gota pay for HBO? ><
BadSanta
4/18/07 2:12:46AM

Posted by BadSanta

do you have a source on this?

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3796&zoneid=2
Manfred
4/18/07 3:44:18AM
I hope than if Dana does concede production to HBO, he puts some clause in the deal that he can back-out and/or take over production if the UFC isn't pleased. After what happened with the IFL Battleground, he'd be wise to have final say.

Let's just see how it goes before we start burning HBO in effigy
JunCTion
4/18/07 3:51:46AM

Posted by Manfred

I hope than if Dana does concede production to HBO, he puts some clause in the deal that he can back-out and/or take over production if the UFC isn't pleased. After what happened with the IFL Battleground, he'd be wise to have final say.

HBO would never allow such a clause. we can only hope that its a 1 year deal that he could get out of at the end if things dont go right. and it wont if most of the hbo commintators hate mma. (which means theyll have to go way down the list to find some nobodies they want to punish that dont know a thing about mma)

maybe theyll be smart and hire an ex mma fighter.
BadSanta
4/18/07 5:17:38AM

Posted by Manfred

I really hope it's not a done deal.

BadSanta
4/18/07 5:19:37AM

maybe theyll be smart and hire an ex mma fighter.

After Randy's contract is up, he'd be perfect.
pharside
4/18/07 10:04:07AM
Randy is a great fighter but he puts me to sleep when fills in for Joe.
warglory
4/18/07 10:31:27AM
Im with the HBO haters on this one. I highly doubt that they are going to make this sport any better.
MMA
4/18/07 10:44:35AM
Going to be awkward getting used to different commentators. Especially if they have no fcking clue about what they are talking about.
pv3Hpv3p
4/18/07 10:49:27AM

Posted by Ydoc

Well... they have already made their first mistake: No Goldy or Rogan. Now we're going to have to hear some demoted Boxing commentators try to figure out why someone would tap out to an armbar. Just like ESPN, UFC should have just tossed them to the curve. They don't need those outlets... those companies need the UFC to be taken seriously. In my opinion, the UFC has carved its little niche in American pop culture without going the obvious route (the obvious route didn't want them), and now is stepping back to stepping stones it already found its way around.

I don't know how you can say that the UFC doesn't need this sort of exposure. They have been trying to get into a mainstream popularity status for the better half of ten years, and I'm sorry but HBO and ESPN are as mainstream as it gets. This is the fruit of all their labors to bring ligitimacy to the sport of MMA.

As for hating in HBO, I don't think they will be too bad. I don't really agree with what Santa was getting at...

They obviously have the best production format for boxing, and personally I have never been too immpressed with the UFC production. I like watching it just fine, but what I mean is that it always seemed a little flat compared to Pride's. I don't think that we'll have to worry about any sort of sabatoge from the boxing people at HBO, MMA is a huge cash cow right now, and they would only be shooting themselves in the foot.

I will agree that not bringing over the announcers is a risky deal... It's surprising how much of a difference a good or bad announcing crew can make... But since the jury's still out on that one, I'll wait and see what we get.
Mastodon2
4/18/07 11:13:57AM
While I certainly dont believe that HBO is completely cheap (Band of Brothers for example is obviously very high budget) I dont think they will improve the sport. I dont see what was wrong with Spike TV in America and Bravo in the UK. I just pray that Bravo gets the UFC contract again for the UK cause we dont have an HBO channel over here.

I just dont see what HBO can postively bring to the UFC. While I dont love Rogan and Goldberg's commentatting, they are part of the UFC brand and it feels like home when I hear them talking about the events.

I really hope that HBO dont f*ck up UFC, or put it low on their priority list. Its not as if UFc was struggling, they were already raking it. Does anyone know what motivation Zuffa LLC had for jeopardising the integrity of UFC like this?
JunCTion
4/18/07 11:41:01AM

Posted by Mastodon2

While I certainly dont believe that HBO is completely cheap (Band of Brothers for example is obviously very high budget) I dont think they will improve the sport. I dont see what was wrong with Spike TV in America and Bravo in the UK. I just pray that Bravo gets the UFC contract again for the UK cause we dont have an HBO channel over here.

I just dont see what HBO can postively bring to the UFC. While I dont love Rogan and Goldberg's commentatting, they are part of the UFC brand and it feels like home when I hear them talking about the events.

I really hope that HBO dont f*ck up UFC, or put it low on their priority list. Its not as if UFc was struggling, they were already raking it. Does anyone know what motivation Zuffa LLC had for jeopardising the integrity of UFC like this?

as soon as HBO said "but we want to handle the production" the UFC should have pulled out immediately.

no HBO doesnt want to shoot themselves in the foot but the UFC is going to be 6th or 7th on their list of priorities.

and what if a potential new fan comes across an HBO broadcast and theres 2 old guys rambling on, not knowing what theyre talking about and every other sentance is about boxing. you know the HBO execs are not going to make their commentators leave out boxing refrences in favor of boxing.
nubby
4/18/07 11:56:52AM
I wish Dana would have left a good thing alone. How the hell is HBO going to better the sport or get them more fans?
loller90278
4/18/07 12:15:34PM

Posted by MMA

Going to be awkward getting used to different commentators. Especially if they have no fcking clue about what they are talking about.

nah, it'll be just like regular times
Orlandi0053
4/18/07 12:31:35PM
I dont have HBO shit sucks lol
Gogoplata
4/18/07 1:04:30PM

Posted by Ydoc

I have no idea how you can say UFC doesn't need to be on ESPN or HBO. They both need each other. This is what the UFC has tried to do for so long to get the public to look at it as more than just human cockfighting. I like the deal with HBO and personally I could give two shits is Goldy ever broadcasts another UFC event ever.

You gotta look at the positives. Goldy and Rogan will be there for every other UFC event besides the ones on HBO. And Max Kellerman, a self-proclaimed MMA fan, may be one of the guys who broadcasts it. UFC knows what it's doing, it has come this far, just let this play its course.
Pages: [1] 2 3