WHy the hell is anderson saying Seagal helped him!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » WHy the hell is anderson saying Seagal helped him!
StevenSeagalSilva
2/7/11 1:23:58AM
Sure, he helped him, but come on....we all know Steven Seagal DID NOTHING for him in terms of winning or losing a fight
Pskinner_mma314
2/7/11 2:39:49AM

Posted by StevenSeagalSilva

Sure, he helped him

u just explained it
fizzle
2/7/11 3:07:39AM
Whats your beef with Seagal, he is a self made man who has had a long career of teaching Akido, making movies, being a deputy in Jefferson Parish, and just being an all around stand up guy who would probably give you the shirt off his back if you asked for it. My point is how do you know what Seagal did or did not help Anderson with? Even if someone is the best fighter on the planet, doesn't mean that another person doesn't have an insight or good advice to offer. Once you stop learning and evolving you're dead, this is never more evident than in the fight game. Once you think you know it all, you simply prove that you do not.
Pookie
2/7/11 4:32:19AM
I think Anderson's beef with Vitor(and consequently just about everyone else's too) comes from his percieved lack of loyalty to a core group of fighters/ trainers/ sparring partners.

And after whoopin that Ass, i think Anderson made it a point to thank every trainer, teammate, instructor he could. Because that's what he feels people in his position should do, and thats what he also feel's Vitor does not do. So in summation, thats why i feel Anderson put such an emphasis on thanking Minotauro and Seagal for their help.
sbulldavid
2/7/11 8:21:30AM
I believe him, it's a different variation on our normal push kick and it worked, I would bet that they watched lots of video and had that in their fight plan. Everybody knows several ways to kick and punch but it takes something more to know when, where, and how to land a technique. Anderson uses the surprise element better than anybody in the business and i believe that is an overlooked part of fighting and part of what makes Anderson so great.
DCRage
2/7/11 8:56:54AM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

Sure, he helped him

u just explained it

Way to OWN the
postman
2/7/11 8:57:07AM

Posted by sbulldavid

I believe him, it's a different variation on our normal push kick and it worked, I would bet that they watched lots of video and had that in their fight plan. Everybody knows several ways to kick and punch but it takes something more to know when, where, and how to land a technique. Anderson uses the surprise element better than anybody in the business and i believe that is an overlooked part of fighting and part of what makes Anderson so great.

Yeah its a snap kick I highly doubt Anderson learned that from Seagal. This whole Seagul thing is dumb whats next Chuck Norris walking out with Rampage? Its silly
DARRYL_Ledonne
2/7/11 9:09:20AM
""""I believe him, it's a different variation on our normal push kick and it worked, I would bet that they watched lots of video and had that in their fight plan. Everybody knows several ways to kick and punch but it takes something more to know when, where, and how to land a technique. Anderson uses the surprise element better than anybody in the business and i believe that is an overlooked part of fighting and part of what makes Anderson so great. """"

Seagal helped him because anderson is in hell
postman
2/7/11 10:17:49AM
link

Bas Rutten is having a hard time beliving Anderson didn't know how to throw a front kick to the face. This is turing into one of the biggets troll jobs in mma
postman
2/7/11 10:37:12AM
link

jump to 4:44

Wonder if they are students of Seagal as well.
sbulldavid
2/7/11 10:45:56AM
Everybody has seen one before but, it's a low percentage move I think it's very possible that Seagal helped him incorporate it in his game plan against Vitor, why so much disbelief on Seagal, we all thought Karate sucked until Machida came along, that just shows what we all know.
postman
2/7/11 11:02:44AM

Posted by sbulldavid

Everybody has seen one before but, it's a low percentage move I think it's very possible that Seagal helped him incorporate it in his game plan against Vitor, why so much disbelief on Seagal, we all thought Karate sucked until Machida came along, that just shows what we all know.

And that is a thai fighter will leg kick a Karate fighter to death and lamp them in boxing.
scoozna
2/7/11 11:17:57AM
It's not all that unbelievable to me that Seagal helped him. At a minimum he may have showed him that he could hide it better, snap it faster, or land it in different places keeping his opponent guessing.

I think more likely, he put the idea in Anderson's head, and Anderson ran with it, adapting it in some small way to his own style. He threw it so fast that it was a think of beauty if you ask me.
FastKnockout
2/7/11 4:43:42PM
I just don't understand why Silva said that Seagal taught him that kick. He's had that kick for a while now, and they even have it as a primary attack in Undisputed 2010. It's nothing new in his arsenal, it just landed clean and managed the knockout.
Taylor8766
2/7/11 6:23:47PM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

Sure, he helped him

u just explained it

haha owned
BlueSkiesBurn
2/7/11 9:15:14PM
More importantly, why does it even matter if Seagal helped him with it or not? I really don't understand why people even care about something that trivial. Who cares if Barney Rubble taught him the kick, he landed it on Vitor's face, knocked him out, and made SportsCenter's top ten.

It worked. End of story.
mrsmiley
2/8/11 8:54:24AM
I think alot of this on Bas' part comes from the long history he has with movie martial artist and all the stories that have been told. We all know the story about Gene Lebell choking out Seagal but Stephen Quadros told a very interesting story about Seagal too.
While working on the set of one of his movies (the one with DMX), Quadros mentioned how unproffesional Seagal was and the higher than thou attitude he conveyed around set and he attempted to put this upon Stephen too but things didn't turn out the way Seagal thought they would.
He also told Quadros on the set that he had an Aikido student that would deystroy Sakuraba and anyone in Pride. Quadros actually had everything in place for such a fight to happen,but funny enough Seagal didn't go through with it.

Bas himself had an outing with Van Damme over the phone was as well.
postman
2/8/11 11:31:46AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

More importantly, why does it even matter if Seagal helped him with it or not? I really don't understand why people even care about something that trivial. Who cares if Barney Rubble taught him the kick, he landed it on Vitor's face, knocked him out, and made SportsCenter's top ten.

It worked. End of story.

Yeah #9 what a joke. Hockey goals and dunks happen everyday
sp0rtsnutone
2/8/11 11:44:56AM
I agree with FastKnockout in regard to the round that Silva was champion. Another things that's a winner is Gameon247 where a daily champion is declared for vegas styled games in tournament format.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/8/11 3:56:34PM

Posted by mrsmiley
Bas himself had an outing with Van Damme over the phone was as well.

And Brian Urlacher.
JimiMak
2/8/11 6:09:09PM
Because he's a movie actor ppl assume that a 6th (or 7th?) Dan in Aikido couldn't possibly have anything of substance to teach an mma artist It's all just about the tma vs mma thing. MMA fans never want to admit that tma guys have plenty to teach even to our glorified mma guys--- even tho the mma guys know this and bring in such artists to train with and learn from. But of course forum posters know better than Anderson et al...
BlueSkiesBurn
2/8/11 6:20:12PM

Posted by JimiMak

Because he's a movie actor ppl assume that a 6th (or 7th?) Dan in Aikido couldn't possibly have anything of substance to teach an mma artist It's all just about the tma vs mma thing. MMA fans never want to admit that tma guys have plenty to teach even to our glorified mma guys--- even tho the mma guys know this and bring in such artists to train with and learn from. But of course forum posters know better than Anderson et al...

This is pretty much the only reason I can see anyone making a big deal about it. I guess a TMA who's the highest possible rank in his prospective martial art can't POSSIBLY have anything to share with the Immortal God of Olympus that is Anderson Silva. People are acting like he brought in Freddy Prinze Jr.

Well stated, sir. Props
mrsmiley
2/8/11 6:33:28PM

Posted by JimiMak

I think alot of that stigma comes from what the original UFC's debunked in silencing a lot of the old stigma's associated with the martial arts. What's old is new again is indeed the old saying and I think that applies in a situation such as this.The rebirth of combat sports spun the world of martial arts on its head and since then it's taken over a decade for things to come full circle once more.
I think this hints at what we discussed here on the playground a year or two ago when Machida was the fighter in point and alot of us wondered if his succuss would imply further traditional martial arts incorperated back into the world of MMA. These are exciting times,aren't they?
BlueSkiesBurn
2/8/11 6:45:23PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by JimiMak

I think alot of that stigma comes from what the original UFC's debunked in silencing a lot of the old stigma's associated with the martial arts. What's old is new again is indeed the old saying and I think that applies in a situation such as this.The rebirth of combat sports spun the world of martial arts on its head and since then it's taken over a decade for things to come full circle once more.
I think this hints at what we discussed here on the playground a year or two ago when Machida was the fighter in point and alot of us wondered if his succuss would imply further traditional martial arts incorperated back into the world of MMA. These are exciting times,aren't they?

I can see where you're going with this, but to say that ALL aspects of Aikido are useless because a fighter with a different base could win that fight is foolish.

I'm not saying YOU are saying that. People in general are alluding to it. What MMA proved was that you need to have a balance of different martial arts in your arsenal. The only thing the early UFC's proved was that different bases aren't going to do so well against other bases.

Obviously a strict boxer is going to suck it up against a high level grappler. We proved that in UFC 1 and once again at UFC 118.

However, being able to set up those take-downs by having a proficient knowledge of the stand-up game has what has kept Couture relevant in the UFC.

Steven Seagal probably wouldn't fare well in MMA, as a fighter, but I"d sure as hell listen to anything he had to point out from the training aspect of martial arts.
mrsmiley
2/8/11 8:17:41PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by JimiMak

I can see where you're going with this, but to say that ALL aspects of Aikido are useless because a fighter with a different base could win that fight is foolish.

I'm not saying YOU are saying that. People in general are alluding to it. What MMA proved was that you need to have a balance of different martial arts in your arsenal. The only thing the early UFC's proved was that different bases aren't going to do so well against other bases.

Obviously a strict boxer is going to suck it up against a high level grappler. We proved that in UFC 1 and once again at UFC 118.

However, being able to set up those take-downs by having a proficient knowledge of the stand-up game has what has kept Couture relevant in the UFC.

Steven Seagal probably wouldn't fare well in MMA, as a fighter, but I"d sure as hell listen to anything he had to point out from the training aspect of martial arts.

Blueskies I in no way am saying Aikido is useless.Where in my post did I or where did you think my post was going???? I know you said i wasn't saying that but your whole post has me a little confused to be honest...
I have many,, books on Aikido and Morihei Ueshiba happens to be my favirote martial artist of all time. I have many of John Stevens books on Aikido as well,though my favirote is Aikido and the Harmony of Nature by Mitsugi Saotome followed by Invincible Warrior. If we where going to actually talk of implimenting Aikido in any combat sport we would already be doing a great disservice to O'Sensei because competition was strickly forbidden by him in regards to the art of Aikido. Belive it or not I actually quit following mma for awhile when I got heavy into Aikido (though I only ever got to attend one class) because it kind of changed my mind on the whole fighting thing for a while.

i think though another aspect the original UFC's made is that it's just not other bases well not fair well against others but the startling fact that out of most the disiplines represented in the original UFC, the only ones that where consistant where ones which implied heavy grappling. That's what debunked a lot of what we now call "Bullshido"

BlueSkiesBurn
2/8/11 8:30:57PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by JimiMak

Blueskies I in no way am saying Aikido is useless.Where in my post did I or where did you think my post was going???? I know you said i wasn't saying that but your whole post has me a little confused to be honest...
I have many,, books on Aikido and Morihei Ueshiba happens to be my favirote martial artist of all time. I have many of John Stevens books on Aikido as well,though my favirote is Aikido and the Harmony of Nature by Mitsugi Saotome followed by Invincible Warrior. If we where going to actually talk of implimenting Aikido in any combat sport we would already be doing a great disservice to O'Sensei because competition was strickly forbidden by him in regards to the art of Aikido. Belive it or not I actually quit following mma for awhile when I got heavy into Aikido (though I only ever got to attend one class) because it kind of changed my mind on the whole fighting thing for a while.

i think though another aspect the original UFC's made is that it's just not other bases well not fair well against others but the startling fact that out of most the disiplines represented in the original UFC, the only ones that where consistant where ones which implied heavy grappling. That's what debunked a lot of what we now call "Bullshido"

I didn't say you did. I actually said quite the opposite. I never once implied that you even meant something close to that.

I was talking about people who are looking at this situation from the "what could Steven Seagal teach a multidisciplined champion like Anderson Silva, he only knows Aikido" lens.

I guess I thought something different when you said the "the original UFC's debunked in silencing a lot of the old stigma's associated with the martial arts." coupled with what JimiMak was saying.

Make more sense?
mrsmiley
2/8/11 8:54:50PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by JimiMak

I didn't say you did. I actually said quite the opposite. I never once implied that you even meant something close to that.

I was talking about people who are looking at this situation from the "what could Steven Seagal teach a multidisciplined champion like Anderson Silva, he only knows Aikido" lens.

I guess I thought something different when you said the "the original UFC's debunked in silencing a lot of the old stigma's associated with the martial arts." coupled with what JimiMak was saying.

Make more sense?

Yes that makes much more sense. When I talked about the old stigma's I was more along the lines of how the UFC showed that what we see in the movies and such should not always be associated with what really happens in a fight. A lot of peoples perceptions of combat became deluded from things of that nature.
I'm sure a guy like Seagall would have a lot to teach,but I think a lot of people are skeptical as well because we have seen a lot of the more tradintional (or more popular) martial arts become almost erased from modern mma,and because people have herd a lot of bs about the man himself.I think this is where the skepticism stems from.For what it's worth,I don't think we have any reason to doubt Anderson,i mean if you got a guy that has over a decades worth of knowledge in any martial art their's going to be something you can get from it. My biggest question is why would Seagall be teaching Anderson a kick??? very strange from a guy well versed in Aikido. If it was TKD I could see, but Aikido doesn't incoperate many kicks at all,and never teaches a kick as a means to an end.
postman
2/8/11 9:19:37PM
To the TMA and MMA comment I agree that that happens its just my feeling that there is nothing special about that kick nor is there anything special about Seagul saying fake low go high aka change levels. Its all nonsense reallyAnderson is pinpoint accurate with any strike he throws and has insane speed and footwork. That came from years of training not Steven Seagal.
casketcoin
2/10/11 6:53:10PM

Because he would kill him but he knows he will just be waiting on him in hell