What If the UFC Held a Heavyweight Tournament?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What If the UFC Held a Heavyweight Tournament?
POLL: Which HW tournament would you pay to watch?
UFC 79% (22)
Strikeforce 21% (6)
SmileR
1/5/11 11:19:13PM
With the current buzz surrounding the recently announced Strikeforce 2011 heavyweight grand prix, we figured we'd take a look at what kind of tournament the UFC could put on if they were so inclined.

Contrary to popular opinion, the calibre of the UFC's HW GP would be just as good, if not better than Strikeforce's. The only noticeable difference is that there really wouldn't be any mismatches in Zuffa's heavyweightpalooza.

Even if Joe Silva decided not to put the matches together that we hypothesized in order to save some of the more anticipated pairings for the sem-final and final rounds, shuffling the card around would not cause a great disparity in the calibre of opponents.

Link
tcunningham
1/6/11 2:57:23AM
i gotts go with UFC. im just not convinced that strikeforce has the best heavyweights. there really is only a few big names in there including former UFC fighters that got released. dont get me wrong i would like to see their HW tourney but UFC just has the better fighters.
jjeans
1/6/11 10:31:50AM
Before I post my vote can we establish what the brackets would be for the UFC one?

Strikeforce

Wedrum
Overeem

Fedor
A Silva
-
Barnett
Rogers

AA
Kharitonov
1daveufc
1/6/11 12:56:29PM

Posted by jjeans

Before I post my vote can we establish what the brackets would be for the UFC one?

Strikeforce

Wedrum
Overeem

Fedor
A Silva
-
Barnett
Rogers

AA
Kharitonov

UFC Somthing like

cain vs carwin
jds vs mir

brock vs big nog
cro-cop vs struve
SmileR
1/6/11 1:26:39PM

Posted by 1daveufc

Posted by jjeans

Strikeforce

Wedrum
Overeem

Fedor
A Silva
-
Barnett
Rogers

AA
Kharitonov

UFC Somthing like

cain vs carwin
jds vs mir

brock vs big nog
cro-cop vs struve

Cagepotato have put together a pretty good tournament. The link takes you to the page but I'd be pumped for either.

I think the UFC's is much more even fights but Strikeforce could produce the more exciting fights.
mrsmiley
1/6/11 2:51:53PM
As of right now I would watch the SF HW tourney.
The UFC's would be good but just the fact of knowing Overeem and Fedor are both on the SF bracket sells the idea on me.
Taylor8766
1/6/11 10:51:15PM
Cagepotato has a good tourney lined up, sucks that we gotta see JDS vs Cain first round I would switch up a couple something like this:

Cain
Carwin

Lesnar
Schaub

Mir
JDS

Nelson
Nogeuria

AchillesHeel
1/7/11 10:58:09AM
I think Velasquez vs. Dos Santos is the definitive heavyweight championship fight in the UFC right now, so I think a tournament would only frustrate me.

If I were to do a UFC tournament, it would be for the Bantamweights...

Quarterfinals:
A. Dominick Cruz (1) vs. Wagnney Fabiano
B. Joseph Benavidez (4) vs. Miguel Angel Torres
C. Urijah Faber (2) vs. Scott Jorgensen
D. Brian Bowles (3) vs. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto

Semifinals:
Winner A vs. Winner B
Winner C vs. Winner D

BustedKnuckle
1/14/11 7:06:18PM
I waqnt to vote.....Both! I reaaly like the way both orgs HW divisions are stacking up.